Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

WB dominating the top five with Mummies, Creed III and Shazam, they technically have four releases in the top ten overall as Allelujah is a WB release on behalf on Pathe.

Air is out tomorrow, should be a solid alternative to the family films. 

Interesting article on 2022 at the UK box office. 

Admissions up 60% to 128,000,000

911 films released.

26 made over £10m.

59 didn’t make even £1k.

254 didn’t pass £10k.

Matilda was the biggest UK film: £27.8m, Belfast in second with £15.6m. 

Mario should have a big opening. Pre sales look strong, plus it’s got school holidays as well as the long 4 day Easter weekend. Wouldn’t surprise me to see £10m+ 5 day

Edited by Heretic
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Morning and afternoon shows looking crazy busy today, only weak link seems to be IMAX. 

Kids films never do well in IMAX over here, guessing it’s quite cost prohibitive for families to shell out for it. They’d probably have been better off keeping D&D or John Wick on the IMAX screens rather than giving them all to Mario.

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

Kids films never do well in IMAX over here, guessing it’s quite cost prohibitive for families to shell out for it. They’d probably have been better off keeping D&D or John Wick on the IMAX screens rather than giving them all to Mario.

I would agree with you, but for some reason this stuff does really well in 4DX which is more expensive. Smaller auditoriums sure but still pretty dumb. 

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I don't really see the point of having late shows for Mario, who's going watch an animated movie at 10pm or 11pm. 

I did an 11:30pm for The BFG back in the day that had a randomly decent crowd. They must be expecting enough people to turn up to cover the costs at least

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I did an 11:30pm for The BFG back in the day that had a randomly decent crowd. They must be expecting enough people to turn up to cover the costs at least

The BFG did skew slightly older compared to Mario though, it seems random to have an animated movie running that late at night. 

4 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I would agree with you, but for some reason this stuff does really well in 4DX which is more expensive. Smaller auditoriums sure but still pretty dumb. 

I think for 4DX the parents treat it more like a ride to keep their ADHD kids engaged. I’m not complaining though, it means less disruptive kids/bored parents playing with their phones in IMAX.

8 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I don't really see the point of having late shows for Mario, who's going watch an animated movie at 10pm or 11pm. 

Maybe that’s for the older fans who don’t want to sit in a cinema full of annoying children and families lol. 

Unfortunately I have to brave the families as we’re taking a nephew in the afternoon on Easter Monday, yikes. It’s IMAX though so it’ll probably be dead. 

Edited by Krissykins

4 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

I think for 4DX the parents treat it more like a ride to keep their ADHD kids engaged. I’m not complaining though, it means less disruptive kids/bored parents playing with their phones in IMAX.

You do wonder why parents bother taking kids to the cinema if all they are going to do is look at their phone. 

• Like 1