1. Wonka £1.14m

2. Aquaman £460k

3. Ferrari £261k

4. Boy & Heron £260k

5. Dunki £149k

6. Anyone But You £104k

7. Wish £99k

8. Next Goal Wins £73k

So, I think the distributors (or cinemas, I don't really know how it works) really failed with 'The Boy and the Heron'. They gave it a limited release but Ferrari was released on a normal amount of screens, yet they had a similar opening day gross. This is the biggest opening day for a Ghibli film in the UK by far. Hopefully they'll expand it. 

How will they report the opening weekend of Ferrari and Boy Heron? Will they include all the days up to the weekend as part of the opening weekend as one lump figure ... so Tuesday, Wed, Thurs, Friday, Sat and Sun reported as one weekend? We might be looking at a 1 mil opening for Boy Heron if all the days are included together.  

Edited by tarabeesley
more info

11 minutes ago, tarabeesley said:

So, I think the distributors (or cinemas, I don't really know how it works) really failed with 'The Boy and the Heron'. They gave it a limited release but Ferrari was released on a normal amount of screens, yet they had a similar opening day gross. This is the biggest opening day for a Ghibli film in the UK by far. Hopefully they'll expand it. 

How will they report the opening weekend of Ferrari and Boy Heron? Will they include all the days up to the weekend as part of the opening weekend as one lump figure ... so Tuesday, Wed, Thurs, Friday, Sat and Sun reported as one weekend? We might be looking at a 1 mil opening for Boy Heron if all the days are included together.  

They’ll likely report the weekend as Fri/Sat/Sun and give a total including Tues/Wed/Thu. 

18 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

They’ll likely report the weekend as Fri/Sat/Sun and give a total including Tues/Wed/Thu. 

I'm seeing they released Ferrari on 250 Odeon / Cineworld screens and Boy Heron on 30 and they come out with the same opening day. Hmm. 

Edited by tarabeesley

55 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Christmas Day 25th

1. Dunki £35k

2. Wonka £33k

3. Salaar £23k

4. Aquaman £21k

5. Animal £5k

Boxing Day 26th

1. Wonka £1.14m

2. Aquaman £460k

3. Ferrari £261k

4. Boy & Heron £260k

5. Dunki £149k

6. Anyone But You £104k

7. Wish £99k

8. Next Goal Wins £73k

Did Wonka lose a lot of showtimes post CD? It drop nearly 60% from Christmas Eve. I was expecting somewhere around 2m pound.   

37 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Did Wonka lose a lot of showtimes post CD? It drop nearly 60% from Christmas Eve. I was expecting somewhere around 2m pound.   

Not here at least, still on 15 times a day every day. It still keeps all 15 showings at my local the whole of next week too. 

41 minutes ago, tarabeesley said:

I'm seeing they released Ferrari on 250 Odeon / Cineworld screens and Boy Heron on 30 and they come out with the same opening day. Hmm. 

That seems like too big a difference, remember to check dubbed and subbed, as they’re listed separately. My local has 9 showings of Heron every day and 6 for Ferrari. 

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Not here at least, still on 15 times a day every day. It still keeps all 15 showings at my local the whole of next week too. 

Then it is a very unexpected steep drop. 

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Boxing Day isn’t that big of cinema-going day in the UK. I expect Wonka will rise today, looks very busy

But how did Aquaman manage to drop only 23% from CD' eve? It is a BO pattern in UK where family movies underperform on Boxing Day?

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Then it is a very unexpected steep drop. 

But how did Aquaman manage to drop only 23% from CD' eve? It is a BO pattern in UK where family movies underperform on Boxing Day?

That's basically it, Families have other things to do on Boxing Day. Today though, Wonka will at least double it's business from yesterday.