Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

So could it hit £10m on its 3rd weekend, which would be higher than the previous record for 2nd weekend?

That like what Avatar did here. It's third and fourth weekends broke records held for second and third (possibly even more)

Not only is the gross amazing, realizing its one of those rare 2D blockbusters makes it even more amazing!

I wonder what this'll do for weekdays now that everyone is.back at school....I think maybe £8m-ish, and then it could be around £70m by Sunday.Argo also opens this week. It'll probably open softly but sustain strong legs.And then there's BD2... BD1 opened to £13.9m so it should match that at least. Could potentially match TDKR's opening of £14.4m. The UK boxoffice really is on fire!

From Screen Daily (i've very surprised Silent Hill opened as high as it did, although it has been promoted very heavily over the past few weeks):

Latest Bond takes a superlative-defying estimated $25.7m (£16.1m), through Sony, to stand at a mighty $85.8m (£53.7m) after just ten days.

Having secured the biggest first week in UK box office history with $59.8m (£37.2m), Skyfall has continued to dominate the UK in its second weekend, becoming the fastest film ever to reach £50m.

If its estimate of $25.7m (£16.1m) holds up when figures are released later today, the latest Bond outing will also have become the first film to record two consecutive £15m+ weekends after it only fell around 20% week-on-week. By comparison, the films it is behind on the all-time openings list - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and Toy Story 3 - dropped 62% and 64% respectively.

The climactic Harry Potter stood at $70.7m (£44.2m) after ten days, while Toy Story 3 had amassed $63.6m (£39.8m) by the end of its second weekend including the four days of previews.

Avatar, the current all-time record grosser in the UK, had a slower start with $29.7m (£18.6m) after ten days on its way to $150.2m (£94m) following eleven consecutive £2m+ weekends, so it’s hard to gauge whether Skyfall can challenge its final tally but given the records it has already slain, you wouldn’t want to bet against Sony’s behemoth.

Showcasing admirable resolve in the face of the Bond onslaught, Paramount’s Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted enjoyed a slight 1% boost in its third weekend.

The 3D animation grossed a non-final $4.6m (£2.9m) for $28.1m (£17.6m) to date which sees it tracking ahead of both Madagascar ($26.2m/£16.4m) and Madgascar: Escape 2 Africa ($20.6m/£12.9m) at the same stage in their runs.

The week’s highest new entry belonged to Lionsgate’s Silent Hill: Revelation. Boosted by a $505,000 (£316,327) take on Halloween, the 3D sequel notched a $1.7m (£1.04m) debut from its 367 sites to chart third. That result is just ahead of the $1.6m (£991,687) debut of the first film on its way to $5.8m (£3.6m) overall.

Hotel Transylvania and Taken 2 both enjoyed decent holdovers as well, falling only 3% and 29% respectively. Sony’s animation added $1.2m (£770,000) for $10.9m (£6.8m), while Fox’s sequel now stands at $35.6m (£22.3m) following a $1.1m (£706,000) fifth weekend.

This week sees saturation releases for Warner Bros.’ highly acclaimed Argo (opens Nov 7), Sony’s comedy Here Comes The Boom, Entertainment’s horror-comedy Love Bite and eOne’s Australian box office smash The Sapphires (opens Nov 7). Disney’s People Like Us receives a wide release, while Artificial Eye’s Alps, New Wave’s Aurora and Verve’s My Brother The Devil are among the films receiving a limited release.

Skyfall's weekdays will drop from last week but I imagine it'll easily do £2-3m at best, Argo might dent it slightly but I can see a £8-9m third weekend, BD2 will probably affect it the most.Madagascar 3 has done great and HT hasn't done too badly either, there's no competition until ROTG so they'll chug along nicely.

I wonder what this'll do for weekdays now that everyone is.back at school....I think maybe £8m-ish, and then it could be around £70m by Sunday.Argo also opens this week. It'll probably open softly but sustain strong legs.And then there's BD2... BD1 opened to £13.9m so it should match that at least. Could potentially match TDKR's opening of £14.4m. The UK boxoffice really is on fire!

Looking at QoS numbers, weekdays are generally 40% of the preceding weekend. So about £6.5m. But we could easily see £7-8m due to some spillover.