Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

This weekend could be pretty big as it's also the start of the 2 week Easter break. Clash of the Titans did £5.7m 3 years ago, but like the US, I expect a drop for WOTT to maybe £3.5-4m.

The Pirates should do well like Gnomeo and Juliet, for the 5 day it should get above £2m quite easily. There hasn't been a kids film for ages. Street Dance will likely make over £2m aswell, and The Hunger Games will probably drop quite softly to around £3.5m hopefully. It could be number 1 again but that'll be tough.

The Pirates! should do very well, I think given the severe lack of kids competition, it may be able to match or beat Arthur Christmas' £20.5m total and that had more competition from Hugo, Puss in Boots, HF2 and Alvin. Wrath of the Titans should do decently but it's likely going to open lower than Clash of the Titans.

The Pirates is getting rave reviews. Now that we're in 2 weeks of holidays, it could build up to be pretty big. I would love to see it surprise and beat out WOTT. I think we're in for a big drop for that compared to COTT.

I went to it today and it was very good, it wasn't busy but kids haven't broken up yet.I wouldn't be surprised if The Pirates! edges Wrath but I think Wrath will beat it Friday but Pirates! will win Saturday and Sunday. £3.8m would be a terrible dropoff considering it made over £5m for the first film.

WOTT is bombing SO hard at cinemas around me. I haven't seen a show tonight anywhere that's sold over even 25% of the tickets in the auditorium. Honestly, I think THG could beat it this weekend. It's still doing very well near me.

According to THR, Wrath only did around $1m on Friday here. Not surprising at all seeing as it's been empty all day every day around me. That wouldn't lead to much more than a $3.5m opening, which is absolutely awful.

Edited by Heretic

THG number 1 again, $4.3m (£2.7m) and $15.1m market cume. So about a 45% drop.Weekdays should be strong now for 2 weeks so I expect $30m is still within reach.The Pirates! $3.6m (£2.3m) That's solid I guess...with the holidays it should be able to climb to $20m.WOTT opened somewhere below that...so, and awful opening.

Edited by Heretic

I was expecting a tad more for THG. You know...I think THG is performing much better in the south than in the north of the country for some reason.

This chart is from 'London's West End' and is in Dollars. THG made nearly 10% of it's opening gross just from the west end itself...so all of London and the south East must have accounted for at least 25% of the gross.

Other big openings in the past haven't had that high of a share from the west end itself.

The Hunger Games (US) Lionsgate NEW $624,981 20 screens 31,249 - $687,306

Edited by Heretic

Streetdance 2 I never thought would do well but it bad for Wrath if it opened before THG and The Pirates! Next week is Titanic and Mirror Mirror which could do well, MM will probably be number 1 due to its Monday opening.

Edited by Jonwo