Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Spider-Man has about a month to itself before Godzilla but I imagine it'll be X-Men Days of Future Past which will cut its legs, will be interesting how that does, the last few films have done £5-6m opening so I think DOFP will be either around the same levels maybe a tad higher,

Spider-Man has about a month to itself before Godzilla but I imagine it'll be X-Men Days of Future Past which will cut its legs, will be interesting how that does, the last few films have done £5-6m opening so I think DOFP will be either around the same levels maybe a tad higher,

doesn't DOFP open a month later?

Here is the 2014 UK schedule for any help and so people outside of the UK know. Wide releases only (or films that look like they're going wide or saturation) (W= wide, S= saturation). Schedule in spoilers

23rd AprilThe Other Woman- S25th AprilTranscedence- S30th AprilPlastic- SMAY2nd MayBrick Mansions- SPompeii- S (previews on 30th/1st)Tarzan- S (previews on 26/27 Apr)3rd MayBad Neighbors- S7th MaySabotage- SNext Goal Wins- 1 day wide9th MayFrank- WThe wind rises (English/Japanese dub)- W15th MayGodzilla- S16th MayIn Secret- W22nd MayX-Men: Days of future past- S23rd MayBlended- SFading gigolo- WLegends of oz: Dorothy's return- WPostman pat: the movie- S28th MayMaleficent- S30th MayEdge of tomorrow- SJimmy's hall- not announced but presuming wide releaseA million ways to die in the west- SJUNE6th June22 Jump Street- WGrace of Monaco- SFrom now, most films are not known as wide or saturation or limited13th JuneBelleChinese Puzzle- WDevils knotOculus- SThe perfect planWalking on sunshineThe young and prodigious t.s spivet20th June3 days to killChef (previews on 15,18,19 June)The fault in our starsJersey boys27th JuneCold in JulyMrs browns boys d'movieReturn to Homs- WJULY4th JulyHow to train your dragon 2 (previews on 28/29)TammyVampire academy10th JulyTransformers 411th JulyBegin againBoyhood17th JulyDawn of the planet of the apes18th JulyAnd so it goes- SPudsey the dog: the movie25th JulyEarth to echoHerculesThe house of magic- WJupiter ascendingThe purge: anarchy1st AugustGuardians of the galaxyMood indigo- WThe nut jobStep up: all in 8th AugustThe inbetweeners 2Planes 215th AugustAs above, so belowThe expendables 3Hector and the search for happiness- WThe unbeatables22th AugustDeliver us from evilInto the stormLucyThe roverWhat if29th AugustMillion dollar armSin city 2SEPTEMBER5th SeptemberBefore I go to sleep- SSex tapeA most wanted man12th SeptemberThe BoxtrollsPrideLets be copsThe hundred foot journey19th SeptemberA walk among the tombstonesPoshThink like a man tooWish I was here- WWhat we did on our holiday26th SeptemberGet on upThe good lie2nd OctoberBang bang3rd OctoberGone GirlLife after BethWelcome to yesterday- S (this will get delayed)10th OctoberThe equalizerThe maze runnerUntitled new line horror film (rumoured to be annabelle)17th OctoberThe secret serviceTeenage ninja mutant turtlesDolphin tale 2Popeye (will get delayed)Love RosieDracula untoldThe judge24th OctberAlexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad dayThe book of lifeFuryParanormal activity 531st OctoberHornsMr turnerNo good deedTrash7th NovemberInterstellar14th NovemberThe dropNativity 3: dudes where's my donkey21st NovemberThe hunger games: mockingjay part 1When the game stands tall28th November2001: a space odyssey (Re-release)- WHorrible bosses 2Kill the messengerPaddington5th DecemberBlack SeaGet SantaHomeThe interview12th DecemberThe hobbit: there and back again19th DecemberDumb and dumber toNight at the museum 326th DecemberExodusBomb shelvesUnbrokenHot tub time machine 2Noteworthy films scheduled for 2014 with no releae dateBearsWhiplashThe company you keepEnemyFoxcatcherMaps to the starsSearch partyTinkerbell film

Edited by FrozenFilms

Sony’s sequel records biggest opening of 2014 with $15.2m (£9m); eOne’s The Love Punch lands with $1m (£611,000) from 373 sites.

A superhero once again leads the way at the UK box office with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 dethroningCaptain America over the Easter weekend.

Sony’s sequel caught $15.2m (£9m) in its web from its 548 sites, including $4.8m (£2.9m) in previews, to post the year’s biggest opening surpassing The Lego Movie’s $13.5m (£8.05m) including $3.6m (£2.16m) previews.

Its Fri-Sun takings of $10.3m (£6.1m) would have also seen it comfortably land the top spot.

Overall, that’s down on The Amazing Spider-Man’s $18.7m (£11.1m) opening from 552 sites, but it’s worth noting that opening contained $7.2m (£4.3m) in previews from one extra day of release.

The Amazing Spider-Man went on to take $43.7m (£26m) in the UK for the lowest return of any Spider-Man outing, so the sequel has a steady base to build on as it aims to surpass that tally.

FOX

With the strongest holdover of the top ten, dropping just 23%, Rio 2 climbed up to second with $1.9m (£1.1m).

Fox’s animated sequel stands at $17.3m (£10.3m) as of Monday [April 21], with its strong Easter showing giving it a chance of catching Rio’s $22.8m (£13.56m) result.

Also for Fox, The Grand Budapest Hotel fell only 19% to check into an additional $308,000 (£183,127) for $17.4m (£10.3m) to date, while Mr. Peabody & Sherman has travelled to $22.3m (£13.2m) after 11 weeks in play.

PARAMOUNT

Falling one place to third was Paramount’s Noah as it sailed to a further $1.5m (£920,000) over Fri-Sun. Including Bank Holiday Monday, Darren Aronofsky’s latest is up to $13.6m (£8.1m) in the UK after three weeks in play.

DISNEY

Unsurprisingly taking a hit with the arrival of a fellow superhero, Captain America: The Winter Soldier fell just over 50% on its way to $1.4m (£832,000).

Disney’s latest Marvel Studios outing did enjoy a fruitful week with the Easter school holidays, lifting its running total to $28.7m (£17.03m) as of yesterday. It will overtake Iron Man’s $29.3m (£17.4m) in the coming days, with Thor: The Dark World’s $33.9m (£20.1m) its next potential target.

Also for Disney, Muppets Most Wanted added $616,000 (£366,000) after a 39% drop to climb to $10.7m (£6.33m), while Frozen stands at $66.9m (£39.75m).

EONE

Rounding off this week’s top five was eOne’s The Love Punch, with a solid debut of $1m (£611,000) from its 373 sites. That’s narrowly behind the $1.1m (£640,390) UK debut from 302 sites for director Joel Hopkins’ previous UK outing, Last Chance Harvey.

Crossing the £5m mark in its third weekend wasDivergent with $841,000 (£500,000) to stand at $9.2m (£5.44m) through eOne, the second of three releases from the distributor in this week’s top ten.

Also for eOne, Calvary fell just 31% with a second weekend of $654,000 (£389,000) from its 169 sites. Director John Michael McDonagh’s second feature has amassed $2.3m (£1.39m) and is unlikely to catch The Guard’s $7.7m (£4.6m) UK result.

The Raid 2 fought its way to $209,000 (£124,000) for $1.4m (£830,000) after two weeks in play. It should surpass The Raid’s $1.8m (£1.07m) UK haul, barring a dramatic collapse.

LIONSGATE

Driving into 119 sites through Lionsgate, Locke recorded a healthy UK debut of $411,000 (£244,406) over Fri-Sun. That’s up on the opening of Stephen Knight’s directorial debut Hummingbird which took $348,000 (£206,731) from 262 sites.

Including Monday, Locke stands at $524,000 (£311,180).

Also for Lionsgate, The Quiet Ones dropped a hefty 67% in its second weekend to take $312,000 (£185,459) and has so far scared up $2.3m (£1.3m).

WARNER BROS

Now up to $55.4m (£32.96m) in the UK, The Lego Movieposted a $230,000 (£137,000) tenth weekend through Warner Bros.

ARTIFICIAL EYE

Based solely on Fri-Sun, The Lunchbox boosted 18% in its second weekend with $126,000 (£75,064) through Artificial Eye. Ritesh Batra’s well-received directorial debut has now grossed $385,000 (£228,854) in the UK.

METRODOME

Released in 42 sites through Metrodome, We are the Best! posted a UK bow of $89,000 (£52,729).

In terms of director Lukas Moodysson’s Lilya 4-Ever($65,000/£38,800 from 13) but down on Together($118,000/£70,054 from 16).

STUDIOCANAL

In its third weekend of release, StudioCanal’s The Doublegrossed a further $57,000 (£34,048) for $1.2m (£701,265).

SODA PICTURES

Holding well in its second weekend of release, Half of a Yellow Sun added $31,000 (£18,371) through Soda Pictures for $118,000 (£70,271) to date in the UK.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Fox’s The Other Woman (opens April 23) and Entertainment’sTranscendence, following previews over April 18-21.

eOne’s Tracks, Artificial Eye’s Exhibition, Peccadillo Pictures’ Cupcakes and Metrodome’s We are the Freaksare among the films receiving a limited release.

Bank holiday not reported yet for Spidey. Nonetheless, a good opening, and a chance to match or beat the first with no competition for weeks.

Solid week for holdovers. 

Edited by Heretic

Only Transcendence this week, which had previews the weekend just gone. Don't imagine it'll do well though.

TASM2 will easily dominate. From the 5 day, it'll have a steep drop. TASM dropped 65% from its 6 opening, so £3-4m next weekend is likely. By Sunday, it should be around the £16m ($27m) mark.

Every film I've seen recently has had The Bad Neighbours trailer attached, and it always gets a HUGE reaction. I think it's gonna break out pretty big. There hasn't been a proper comedy for a long while now, and it looks hilarious. Supposedly, it's great too, which will help with legs.

• Like 1

Every film I've seen recently has had The Bad Neighbours trailer attached, and it always gets a HUGE reaction. I think it's gonna break out pretty big. There hasn't been a proper comedy for a long while now, and it looks hilarious. Supposedly, it's great too, which will help with legs.

Lucky. I've not had the trailer with 1 film

Where as I've seen the Pompeii trailer with divergent, noah, spider-man 2, captain America 2 and about 3 more that I can't remember

Other trailers I've seen recently are

X-Men: DOFP at TASM2

Maleficent 10 second teaser at Noah

Godzilla at TASM2 and Noah

Plastic at Divergent

Tarzan at Rio 2 and TMMW

The Muppets Most Wanted at Rio 2 [there was some kind of trailer mix-up as they showed this then play productions then Vikings random thing]

Edge of tomorrow at TASM 2 and CA2

Planes 2 at TMMW

Legends Of Oz: Dorothy's Return at TMMW

The Other Woman at Noah and Divergent and a couple more

Transformers 4 [30 seconds trailer maximum] at TASM2, CA2 and Noah

Guardians Of The Galaxy at CA2

Postman Pat: The Movie at TMMW and the LEGO Movie

Grace Of Monaco at a film I can't remember

And I think that's it

Admissions figures – the number of tickets sold – have been announced for March, and are 5% down on March 2013. Admissions for the first quarter (January-March) are also 5% down on a year ago. Easter fell late this year, delaying the release of big titles such as Captain America 2, Rio 2 and Noah, so admissions figures should bounce back in April. Whether they can close the gap of 2.05 million – the disparity between 2014 and 2013 after the first quarter – remains to be seen.

Hopefully the late Easter will get 2014 back on track.