Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

One important thing to mention is that the vast majority of schools are still in. Most break up for Christmas holidays on Wednesday or Thursday, so weekdays won't be particularly strong until then, just business as normal. 

ALSO. To avoid panic next weekend when drops are huge, cinemas are closed on Christmas Day in the UK, and Christmas Eve showings end in the evening compared to late at night, so expect some massive drops. Christmas Eve is quite a weak day regardless. Rogue One for example is going to drop at LEAST 65-70% as it's essentially going from a 4-day weekend to a 1.75 day weekend. It'll recover after that and probably increase the following weekend. 

Is that so? All the schools I know of (around Birmingham) broke up on Friday.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

Is that so? All the schools I know of (around Birmingham) broke up on Friday.

Most schools in London that I know of break up on Wednesday. My old school breaks up on Thursday.

I said majority, but of course there will be some schools that are already closed.

• Like 2

Disney’s Star Wars spin-off achieves second-highest December opening of all time behind The Force Awakens.

Further distributor results to come…

(Note - Dollar conversions are based on today’s rates)

DISNEY

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story has landed at the top of the UK box office with the biggest opening of 2016.

Disney’s Star Wars spin-off blasted off with $21.6m (£17.3m), including $5.1m (£4.09m) from Thursday (December 15), from its 656 sites.

As well as being the biggest opening of 2016, that also marks the second-highest December opening ever behind The Force Awakens’ mighty $42.5m (£34m), including $12.1m (£9.68m) in previews, from 670 sites.

While its overall opening marked the biggest of the year, Rogue One’s Fri-Sun tally of $16.5m (£13.21m) is the fourth-biggest of 2016, behind Fantastic Beasts ($19.2m/£15.33m), Batman v Superman ($18.3m/£14.62m) and Captain America: Civil War ($18.1m/£14.47m).

With cinemas closed next Sunday due to Christmas Day and Christmas Eve not historically a strong cinema-going day, Rogue One will suffer a big drop this coming weekend, but will start to pull in healthy midweek numbers due to the school holidays.

Also for Disney, Moana dropped 24% on its way to a $1.81m (£1.45m) third weekend for $8.55m (£6.86m) so far. It will hope to prosper over the school holidays as it starts to gross more on weekdays.

WARNER BROS

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them fell almost 50% with the arrival of Rogue One.

Warner Bros’ Harry Potter spin-off conjured up a $1.77m (£1.42m) fifth weekend for a magical $56.1m (£44.89m) to date. It is now the third highest grossing film of the year, behind only Bridget Jones’s Baby ($59.7m/£47.8m) and The Jungle Book ($57.7m/£46.2m).

Over the festive period, Fantastic Beasts will likely become the biggest film of the year to date, and overtake Prisoner Of Azkaban ($57.6m/£46.1m) in the process.

Also for Warner Bros, Sully: Miracle On The Hudson posted a $767,000 (£614,000) third weekend for $7.1m (£5.7m) to date. It is now Clint Eastwood’s third-best result as director.

EONE

Office Christmas Party fell 40% (excluding previews) with a $677,000 (£543,185) second weekend as it rounded off this week’s top five.

eOne’s festive comedy has now partied to $2.91m (£2.34m) after 12 days in play and will have to make the most of the coming week.

Also for eOne, Arrival took $164,000 (£131,260) for $11.1m (£8.88m) to date, while Bad Santa 2 stands at $2.35m (£1.88m) after four weeks in play.

FOX

Falling 34% in its ninth weekend, Fox’s Trolls grossed a further non-final $208,000 (£166,159) for $28.4m (£22.75m) to date.

Also for Fox, A United Kingdom and The Birth Of A Nation stand at $2.58m (£2.07m) and $278,000 (£223,517), respectively.

PARAMOUNT

In its fourth weekend, Paramount’s Allied took $151,000 (£121,000) for $4.96m (£3.97m) to date.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for eOne’s Ballerina (opens today) and Sony’s Passengers (opens December 21).

Arrow Films’ re-release of 2002 cult classic Donnie Darko is among the films receiving a limited release

Nice increase from estimates for Rogue One. All in all, a very good opening for it, just under half of TFA

Great week again for Fantastic Beasts, made over £1m Mon-Thu when schools were still in, £5.1m more to go until £50m. It should be near that mark by the end of Christmas holidays. By boxing day, it should easily have cleared £46m.

Moana is holding well, but still such a small total. With schools now breaking up it will start to have much stronger weekdays, and I can see it getting past £15m once the holidays are over. A good multi from its opening, but still a very disappointing figure. Something just didn't work for it in the UK. I put it mostly down to non-existent marketing, and being completely overshadowed by FB and now Rogue One.

• Like 7

Rogue One had a 4.2x multiplier from it OD, compared to 3.5 for TFA. Expected due to the much smaller start.

TFA had a 3.6x multiplier from it 4-day weekend. The same would give Rogue One £62.3m. I'm not sure it'll achieve quite the same multiplier as repeat business won't be as high, but it only needs 3.2x to reach £55m, which seems very reasonable. Number 1 of the year is likely, unless it drops harder than expected.

As for Passengers this week, I think it'll do quite well initially as marketing has been quite good, but probably fall fast afterwards with the sub-par reactions.

• Like 6

Top playdates 16-18/12

all R1

1-Imax Southbank
2-Vue Westfield London
3-CW Sheffield
4- CW Crawley
5-Odeon Leicester Square
(combined with CW LS #1)
6-Odeon Manchester
7-Odeon Liverpool 1
8-Odeon Metrocentre
9-CW Glasgow
10-CW Leicester Square
11-NAc Showcase Bluwater
12-Odeon Milton Keynes

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Doctor RTH gone Rouge said:

Top playdates 16-18/12

all R1

1-Imax Southbank
2-Vue Westfield London
3-CW Sheffield
4- CW Crawley
5-Odeon Leicester Square
(combined with CW LS #1)
6-Odeon Manchester
7-Odeon Liverpool 1
8-Odeon Metrocentre
9-CW Glasgow
10-CW Leicester Square
11-NAc Showcase Bluwater
12-Odeon Milton Keynes

BFI IMAX killing it with Rogue One with Vue Westfield a close second. 

I am always impressed how both BFI IMAX and OLS can beat multiplexes although CW Sheffield and CW Crawley to be in the top five and also the top two non London cinemas is still impressive. 

34 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Not surprised about Crawley, we had over 100 people in our 23:30 IMAX show on Saturday night. 

Crawley had a 0330 IMAX showing on Thursday Night/Friday morning which is insane, I get midnight showings but you'd have to be pretty dedicated to see any film at that time of night. 

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Not surprised about Crawley, we had over 100 people in our 23:30 IMAX show on Saturday night. 

I went to the 10:30am 2D showing on Sunday at Crawley, which you'd expect to be not that busy as it's early Sunday morning. However, ignoring the first few rows on the floor which very few people ever voluntarily choose, the theatre was easily 70% full, with maybe 150+ people in there. Was quite shocking to be honest.

• Like 1

Weekend Dec. 16-18    
# Title Opening Date Weekend change Total Distributor
1 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 2016/12/16 £ 17,305,011 N/A £ 17,305,011 Walt Disney Int'l
2 Moana 2016/12/2 £ 1,424,527 -26% £ 6,835,836 Walt Disney Int'l

Fantastic Beasts And Where To 

Find Them

2016/11/18 £ 1,416,433 -48% £ 44,963,803 Warner Bros Int'l
4 Sully 2016/12/2 £ 615,228 -49% £ 5,703,984 Warner Bros Int'l
5 Office Christmas Party 2016/12/9 £ 543,060 -55% £ 2,336,846 eOne Films
6 Trolls 2016/10/21 £ 166,302 -33% £ 22,746,073 Fox Int'l
7 Bolshoi Ballet: The Nutcracker 2016/12/16 £ 135,026 N/A £ 135,026 Picturehouse Ent.
8 Arrival 2016/11/11 £ 131,260 -38% £ 8,878,914 eOne Films
9 Allied 2016/11/25 £ 121,842 -66% £ 3,972,590 Paramount Int'l
10 It's A Wonderful Life (re: 2007) 2007/12/14 £ 86,012 N/A £ 2,385,094 Park Circus Films
  • Like 11

13 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Crawley had a 0330 IMAX showing on Thursday Night/Friday morning which is insane, I get midnight showings but you'd have to be pretty dedicated to see any film at that time of night. 

I'll always remember TFA's showtimes at Vue Westfield... something like twelve midnight screenings then showings at 3am, 4am, 5am, 6am, 6:30am, 7am and so on... 

14 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I saw TFA for the second time at 0330 on the Saturday night/Sunday morning of OW last year. Was planning to do the same this year but they didn't do it. Hopefully they will next year, in enjoying this as a new tradition with my buddies XD

Sort of off-topic but...

So how many times have people seen Rogue One already? When did you go/planning to go? Do you have unlimited cinema scheme (cineworld/odeon)?

I went Saturday at 12pm (after The Nightmare Before Christmas (re-release for 2016) and going today at 1.20pm (before Passengers).

Moana and FB both look much stronger during the day now that most schools have broken up. They should really prosper over the holidays.

Rogue One was at $24.6m as of Monday, which means Monday was around £2.5m. Very good, It should easily top £10m Mon-Thu, and by Christmas Day on Sunday, will be around £33m, and over £35m after the end of Boxing Day. Next week it should fly past £40m.

• Like 3