Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

49 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

@Heretic I am trying to make a projection for Fantastic Beasts' WW total and I need to know how much more you believe it can gross in the UK. I think it is at 59m after this weekend.

I'd say about 65m is where it's heading. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

We got any Monday or Tuesday numbers for Rogue One? I saw it again yesterday and had to sit right near the front of the cinema. Very busy.

Not yet, hopefully we get a report soon from Ian Sandwell. Rogue One has been performing very consistently so far at 50% of TFA. That made £21m Mon-Thu in the same week last year, and increased slightly new years weekend. A similar trajectory puts Rogue One right on the £50m mark by Sunday. FB won't hold the 2016 crown for long.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Thanks for the responses. Kudos to you engliish people you truly love JK. If it gets to 55m pounds the chances of getting 800m dollars will increase a lot!

MONDAY: 1-ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY 2-PASSENGERS 3-FANTASTIC BEASTS ... 4-DANGAL 5-MOANA

TUESDAY: 1-ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY 2-PASSENGERS 3-MOANA 4-FANTASTIC BEASTS ... 5-WHY HIM?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

If that is just Friday and Saturday for Passengers, that's a good result. If it's the 4 day, not so much. 

For Spain the Spanish sub account they gave acc Peludo - Sun as weekend

60 seconds ago

No report from me this week, so this top five will have to do. Normal service resumed on Tuesday

Edited by terrestrial

31 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

Thats just the 23rd and 24th right? If so that looks great for Star Wars and Passengers.

See my hint about Peludo's reaction to a similar tweet about Spain = I guess so, but I do not know

I have three websites I tend to look up for UK details, none of it has the actual weekend up

I will give the links to the most recent charts, usually there appears a click-able arrow for changing to the next chart, when the next chart gets released.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/uk/?yr=2016&wk=51&p=new

German InsideKino.de does the updates often per bulk/bunch work, but provides additional information all at one page.

Here the active arrows means = change to the next quarter. The contra points are: shows only the top 10, and the titles are in German (#1 always gets the poster added, you'll get used to it, a lot of the titles sound similar enough...)

http://www.insidekino.com/BO/GB2016.htm

a bit of a twist, link goes to the last chart released, if needing the link to a certain date, you'd have to click on chart index and then to click on the date.

The nice thing is: you can chose the view as per pound or per US$

The-Numbers.com:

http://www.the-numbers.com/weekend-box-office-chart/United-Kingdom

plus the 2 tweet accounts I often quote (Ian seems to be on holiday this week = will be probably less than usual)

I do not know which websites others here use.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Herectic, would 55m pounds really make FB the third biggest Potterverse movie? I thought CoS topped 60m.

Yep. CoS made £54.8m. £55m would mean third place after DH2 (£73.1m) and PS (£66.1m). After CoS is DH1 with £52.5m.

Ofcourse, adjusted for inflation, CoS would probably be over £75m, and most of the other Potters would probably be around £60m mark. PS likely nearer £100m.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Yep. CoS made £54.8m. £55m would mean third place after DH2 (£73.1m) and PS (£66.1m). After CoS is DH1 with £52.5m.

Ofcourse, adjusted for inflation, CoS would probably be over £75m, and most of the other Potters would probably be around £60m mark. PS likely nearer £100m.

Wait, so does that mean PS is the only Potter movie besides DH2 which outsold a LOTR movie? I always had the impression that the Potter franchise was clearly more popular than the LOTR (the original 3, not counting Hobbit) but it doesn't seem so clear cut anymore.

Could you rank these franchises in order of popularity in the UK:

Toy Story

Star Wars

James Bond

Harry Potter

LOTR (again, not the whole middle earth, just the first three).

Edited by Agafin

25 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Wait, so does that mean PS is the only Potter movie besides DH2 which outsold a LOTR movie? I always had the impression that the Potter franchise was clearly more popular than the LOTR (the original 3, not counting Hobbit) but it doesn't seem so clear cut anymore.

Toy Story

Star Wars

James Bond

Harry Potter

But aren't 2 movies enough? I mean it's not like Lotr films are some random blockbusters.They were HUGE....You can't expect all the Potter movies to have topped 60m pounds. There were 8 of them so the average will be obviously much lower than it would be if  Potter was a trilogy...

Edited by FantasticBeasts

34 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Toy Story

Star Wars

James Bond

Harry Potter

LOTR was insanely popular in the UK. Both it and Potter were created here, so it makes sense. 

FOTR was the biggest (£63m), followed by RoTK (£61.1m) and TTT (£57.6m). It's really difficult to say which is more popular in the UK. PS beat FoTR in 2001, and TTT beat CoS in 2002. But they were both huge in their own right. Potter has the highest and lowest grossing if you were to put them together, but it was over a much larger time-frame, so it is to be expected. 

In terms of today, Potter is definitely more popular, as demonstrated by FB's incredible run. It's just more relevant, and still in the spotlight due to the new FB series, the Studio tour in London, as well as the publishing of Cursed Child, and the West End show.

Based on RIGHT NOW, I'd rank it like this: 

1. Bond (Can't really argue here. In the last 4 years it has produced the 2nd and 3rd biggest films of all time in the UK). 

2. Potter (For its sheer consistency over 15 years, and huge popularity still today. It definitely has the most loyal fan-base).

3. Star Wars (A bit more difficult due to limited data before 2000. Original SW is one of the most attended films of all time with over 20m admissions, but that was 40 years ago. The prequels were also very popular, Phantom Menace in particular, but AotC and RotS aren't in the same league as Potter and LoTR. Obviously TFA is the biggest film of all time in the UK, it had an absolutely spectacular run, and now Rogue One seems to be heading for £60m, which is still massive. If Episode 8 repeats what 7 achieved, I think we can firmly say SW is the most popular series in the UK. You could probably argue that it should be number 1 already).

4. Lord of the Rings (When released, all three would have been in the top 10 of all time. Also very consistent in grosses, just not as talked about today. The Hobbit was also a bit disappointing here, but the quality was a big step down from LOTR.)

5. Toy Story (Hugely popular in the UK, but TS3's gross was driven by nostalgia. Nonetheless, still very impressive, and it's probably the most popular animated franchise)

There isn't really a right answer for this. There is a very thin line between the top 3.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 5

LOTR was insanely popular in the UK. Both it and Potter were created here, so it makes sense. 

FOTR was the biggest (£63m), followed by RoTK (£61.1m) and TTT (£57.6m). It's really difficult to say which is more popular in the UK. PS beat FoTR in 2001, and TTT beat CoS in 2002. But they were both huge in their own right. Potter has the highest and lowest grossing if you were to put them together, but it was over a much larger time-frame, so it is to be expected. 

In terms of today, Potter is definitely more popular, as demonstrated by FB's incredible run. It's just more relevant, and still in the spotlight due to the new FB series, the Studio tour in London, as well as the publishing of Cursed Child, and the West End show.

Based on RIGHT NOW, I'd rank it like this: 

1. Bond (Can't really argue here. In the last 4 years it has produced the 2nd and 3rd biggest films of all time in the UK). 
2. Potter (For its sheer consistency over 15 years, and huge popularity still today. It definitely has the most loyal fan-base).
3. Star Wars (A bit more difficult due to limited data before 2000. Original SW is one of the most attended films of all time with over 20m admissions, but that was 40 years ago. The prequels were also very popular, Phantom Menace in particular, but AotC and RotS aren't in the same league as Potter and LoTR. Obviously TFA is the biggest film of all time in the UK, it had an absolutely spectacular run, and now Rogue One seems to be heading for £60m, which is still massive. If Episode 8 repeats what 7 achieved, I think we can firmly say SW is the most popular series in the UK. You could probably argue that it should be number 1 already).
4. Lord of the Rings (When released, all three would have been in the top 10 of all time. Also very consistent in grosses, just not as talked about today. The Hobbit was also a bit disappointing here, but the quality was a big step down from LOTR.)
5. Toy Story (Hugely popular in the UK, but TS3's gross was driven by nostalgia. Nonetheless, still very impressive, and it's probably the most popular animated franchise)

There isn't really a right answer for this. There is a very thin line between the top 3.

Hey, I think you forgot Bridget Jones [emoji1]