Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Amazing. 

I was very wrong about Girls Trip. Strange that it hasn't received a wider release though. A lot of cinemas don't seem to be showing it, but it's doing really well at Vue Westfield and some cinemas near me. 

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

Amazing. 

I was very wrong about Girls Trip. Strange that it hasn't received a wider release though. A lot of cinemas don't seem to be showing it, but it's doing really well at Vue Westfield and some cinemas near me. 

I wonder if it's doing well in places like London but not so well elsewhere. I suspect Universal is being cautious since African American films don't do great in this country 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if it's doing well in places like London but not so well elsewhere. I suspect Universal is being cautious since African American films don't do great in this country 

Yes, it would make sense that it does considerably better in places that are more diverse.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rth Homecoming said:

DK WE could b as low - 15% drop 

That's insane although probably helps there's very little competition. 

5 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Looking great. Saturday over £3m, £8m+ weekend. IMAX stayed pretty much flat, sold out everywhere tonight. I watched it for the fourth time. Experienced all formats. Digital, 35mm, Digital IMAX, 70mm IMAX. 

That's a better second weekend than The Dark Knight Rises!

• Like 1

Was just looking through the BOM yearly pages for the UK. Had no idea that Paddington won the year for 2014. That's pretty great, I liked that movie. It's not the type of movie you'd think would make that much.

Should be interesting to see how the sequel performs.

Absolutely stunning performance by Dunkirk. 

As for Paddington, it's very popular in the UK. Given the fantastic reception for the first one, I expect the sequel will open well (around £6-7m), and leg its way over £30m again. It does however open on the same weekend as Justice League, which will likely be aiming for a £10m+ opening, but the two can co-exist. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Looking great. Saturday over £3m, £8m+ weekend. IMAX stayed pretty much flat, sold out everywhere tonight. I watched it for the fourth time. Experienced all formats. Digital, 35mm, Digital IMAX, 70mm IMAX. 

Have you tried an Xplus screen, they just built a new one in Southampton, supposed to be better than Imax (according to my son).

36 minutes ago, Heretic said:

£27.2m for Dunkirk in 10 days. Lost for words really. I wonder how high this can go,  it should play very well in a pretty empty August.

£55-60m is my prediction, the August competition is not great although I could see The Hitman's Bodyguard being a surprise hit. The last weekend of August is overstuffed with 4 new releases which isn't too surprising given that's Bank Holiday weekend but you'd think one or two would back a week. 

• Like 1