Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Hopefully it increases to £10m with actuals. I’d say this is the most impressive second weekend ever at the UK BO. It’s unprecedented for a film such as this without any holidays/Christmas to drop only 20%, and even more so for a film that opened as big as Joker did. 

The fact this has already hit the £30m mark is insane. As expected, weekdays were huge, £7.6m. Another £4.5m Mon-Thu, and a £5.5m 3rd weekend (which would be a 44% drop) would put this at £40m by next Sunday. So £50m is definitely within reach as things stand. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Hopefully it increases to £10m with actuals. I’d say this is the most impressive second weekend ever at the UK BO. It’s unprecedented for a film such as this without any holidays/Christmas and even more so for a film that opened as big as Joker did. 

The fact this has already hit the £30m mark is insane. As expected, weekdays were huge, £7.6m. Another £4.5m Mon-Thu, and a £5.5m 3rd weekend (which would be a 44% drop) would put this at £40m by next Sunday. So £50m is definitely within reach as things stand. 

Ah, if the exchange rate were half-decent. Oh, to think back on the old days of late 2015... I was in New York pretty much 4 years ago to the day, and I was able to buy a car with a tenner I found in my jacket pocket. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Ah, if the exchange rate were half-decent. Oh, to think back on the old days of late 2015... I was in New York pretty much 4 years ago to the day, and I was able to buy a car with a tenner I found in my jacket pocket. 

Yeah the ER is diabolical, it makes passing even $50m a challenge these days. Joker would have made $80m with 2015’s exchange rate. 

• Sad 2

Looking around, Joker is again selling out shows tonight in various London locations. Looks like weekday business will be abnormally strong once more, so this could be in the mid 30s going into the weekend. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

My show at the O2 is about a quarter full, it that

Stratford, Vue London and Islington which have been selling out constantly since opening were packed again tonight. Obviously not everywhere is as full. 

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Stratford IS only £6.99 per ticket though 

Vue also has their cheap Mondays so it may explain why their cinemas sell really well on a Monday but not others chains. Picturehouse is the same with a couple of exceptions. 

7 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Stratford IS only £6.99 per ticket though 

I was simply making observations. Regardless of ticket price (and it hasn’t only been performing well on cheap Monday’s) the Joker has been performing exceptionally well for a film released at this time of year.  For comparison, it made only £1m less than TDKR’s first Mon-Thu, and that opened to nearly £15m during summer. It should have another strong Mon-Thu. 

• Like 1

Just posted this in the Joker OS thread - FWIW my showing in Dublin was 100% full. A 6pm showing on a Tuesday in an arthouse cinema (Light House).

Can't see this missing £50m. Maybe even £60m if it keeps holding. My partner (who hates anything even remotely sci-fi/fantasy/comic book related) wants to see this. Feels like a.proper crossover event here

• Like 3

Could be quite a close race for no.1 this weekend, although I think Joker will comfortably retain the crown for the 3rd week. I’m thinking around a 45% drop for a £5.4m weekend, and a total around the £39-40m mark by Sunday.

Maleficent will probably open with £3-4m. 

• Thanks 6