Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Sat in my local Everyman waiting for Emma to start. Only one in here - but still....kind of bliss, in the sad circumstances.  Might as well see everything I can before it closes for a while, or we run out of new movies to see. 

Exactly my thoughts. Kinda bummed though as my Limitless runs out April 5th, so a lot of films I was going to see I now will have to pay for when they eventually release!

But yeah I'm on a 5-day streak atm, first few days were still pretty full at Odeon, but yesterday watching misbehaviour it was only me and some random lady! Don't worry though, she was back left corner, I was front right middle, so we practised proper social distancing :P 

I kind of expect by the end of this week the major chains will close down, which will be a shame.

2 hours ago, Stewart said:

Exactly my thoughts. Kinda bummed though as my Limitless runs out April 5th, so a lot of films I was going to see I now will have to pay for when they eventually release!

But yeah I'm on a 5-day streak atm, first few days were still pretty full at Odeon, but yesterday watching misbehaviour it was only me and some random lady! Don't worry though, she was back left corner, I was front right middle, so we practised proper social distancing :P 

I kind of expect by the end of this week the major chains will close down, which will be a shame.

How was Misbehaviour? That’s on my list this week, along with Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Invisible Man. 

I think you’re probably right. Selfish as it sounds, having the movies, theatre, sport, restaurants, pub taken away is - well there are no words. 

51 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

How was Misbehaviour? That’s on my list this week, along with Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Invisible Man.

Decent actually, Jessie stole the show for me. I thought it was really well done, although it felt like it ended a little early, but there's plenty of text at the end to continue the story.

I saw Invisible Man last week too and that was pretty good, felt very accurate of a federal system that's out to get you rather than protect you.

51 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I think you’re probably right. Selfish as it sounds, having the movies, theatre, sport, restaurants, pub taken away is - well there are no words. 

I agree, although everyone staying home and quarantining is somewhat sensible, many people need to get out the house to stop themselves going insane. I make sure to where my gloves everywhere and to only cough when absolutely necessary, and then into a tissue, for the safety of me and those around me. I'm pretty sure I haven't got the virus, but I'll probably be asymptomatic so wouldn't know.

6 hours ago, Stewart said:

Oh yeah, the  whole virus is one big joke.

From ScreenDaily:

The UK and Ireland box office grew 15.8% from July 24-26, compared to the previous weekend, as Covid-19 lockdown measures are eased and cinemas continue to reopen.

Total box office takings for the UK and Ireland across the three-day weekend were £599,048, up from the previous weekend’s £482,335, according to Comscore. This was from 187 sites (including 39 in the Republic of Ireland and four drive-ins), up from 155 sites.

It was older titles that continued to dominate the box office chart, with Disney leading with Pixar animation Onward taking £60,000 and Universal’s Trolls World Tour grossing £35,000. The highest new opener was Warner Bros’ re-release of Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring and Altitude’s indie drama Stage Mother, taking £24,000 and £19,000 respectively.

It paints a more positive picture of growth compared to the previous weekend, when the box office rose just 1.81% - a symptom of US studios holding back major new releases.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2020/08/unhinged-230k-uk-box-office-shows-first-green-shoots-1203002144/

Russell Crowe thriller Unhinged became the most high-profile UK cinema release in the pandemic era this week, taking a provisional $230K (£174,901) from 250 sites, an average of around $920, with venues still to report.

That number may look fairly minor on first glance but in the current context it offers reason for optimism. Two weeks ago, the entire UK box office totaled $253K with just 15% of cinemas operational (roughly 130). Now, we are at 323 sites open, representing 36% of the total real estate (919 sites). Slowly but surely, the industry is restarting.

The country’s two largest exhibitors, Odeon and Cineworld, are in the process of phased re-openings. Cineworld opened its first venues on Friday (July 31) while Odeon has been taking a slow and steady approach for a few weeks, but numerous major sites including key London venues remain shuttered. The UK’s third largest exhibitor Vue has delayed its re-opening until August 7, when it will open an initial ten sites.

However, a new stumbling block could be that wearing face masks will become mandatory in cinemas from August 8, as per a UK government announcement last week. As audiences tentatively venture back to the big screen, operators will be nervous that increased levels of PPE could prove off-putting.

Unhinged distributor Altitude marked its third post-lockdown cinema release with the title, following Black Water: Abyss and Stage Mother, and the company is continuing its recent efforts of being the most active UK theatrical releaser right now with the Oscar-nominated Les Miserables, UK indie pic Rocks and doc David Attenborough: A Life On Our Planet all on the calendar for the coming weeks.

“Over the past few months we have shared the well-publicized concern about the state and future of cinema and the arts.  Whilst this remains unclear as we all learn to cope with COVID-19, we’re encouraged by the support Unhinged received from cinemas and audiences in its opening weekend,” said an Altitude spokesperson.

“It’s bittersweet to herald a number one film at the box office during such uncertainty and hardship, but as cinemas continue to reopen with social distancing measures in place we hope that audience excitement for watching films on the big screen and in safe environments, contribute to further confidence in the cinema experience.”

Box office up again this week after last weekends heatwave in England. +107% growth. 

Unhinged was #1 again for the 3 day with £136,347 (£672k total) and expands to over 300 cinemas next weekend. 

Inception did £203,000 and Pinocchio did £107,000. Onward was +93% from last weekend (£6m total).

Edited by Krissykins
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

UK box office up again as more cinemas start to reopen. More open today with Tenet. 

Unhinged was #1 again, fourth weekend in a row and up from last week, approaching £1m now. 

The most recent weekend’s box office saw the Russell Crowe-led thriller Unhinged retain its number one slot for a fourth consecutive weekend. Released by Altitude, the film took £178,821 from 380 locations – an average of £471 and a 31% rise on the previous weekend, reflecting the reopening of more cinemas. The road rage thriller has taken £962,191 in the UK and Ireland to date.

It was followed by Disney’s Onward, first released prior to lockdown, which climbed back up to second place with £142,108, up 54% on the previous weekend. It means the Pixar animation has now grossed £6.22m in total from 11 weekends.

Ahead of Tenet, Warner Bros’ 10th-anniversary re-release of Christopher Nolan’s Inceptionranked third, taking £117,415 across the three-day weekend to reach £432,449 after two sessions.

The top five was rounded out by two Vertigo Releasing titles: animation 100% Wolf, which added £105,518 and is up to £498,737 after four weekends; and Matteo Garrone’s adaptation of Pinocchio, which added £99,277 on its second session and is up to £324,179.

• Like 2