google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

Anyone seen any figures for Tenet's opening day?

No numbers yet, but on a side note, local word seems to be “it’s one of his weaker films” so Tenet might not be the one to drag people back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah I didn't enjoy it that much unfortunately.

 

It does seem to have kicked off a spate of films getting confirmed release dates though which is good - Broken Hearts Gallery and The Roads Not Taken are the 11th September now, and I'm getting facebook ads for Wonder Woman so they're obviously pushing on with that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

$7.1m opening for Tenet 

I don’t know whether to say that’s impressive or scary given how that could result in a rise in infections...

 

Premium format sales must’ve been particularly strong as it never really seemed to take off in any 2D screenings near me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I don’t know whether to say that’s impressive or scary given how that could result in a rise in infections...

 

Premium format sales must’ve been particularly strong as it never really seemed to take off in any 2D screenings near me.

The cinemas are doing a great job with social distancing. Especially in Scotland, 3 seats at either side and every second row closed. IMAX isn’t open here yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The cinemas are doing a great job with social distancing. Especially in Scotland, 3 seats at either side and every second row closed. IMAX isn’t open here yet. 

I wish England were doing the same. Every row is open in the major chain cinemas (because the virus apparently can’t travel forwards...) and it’s either one or two seats either side that are locked off depending on which chain you go to.


I saw a sold out seat map of the BFI IMAX the other day that looked utterly terrifying. One seat between customers, no rows blocked off, and anyone who’s been there can probably tell you horror stories of being kneed in the back for 2-3 hours because there’s so little room between seats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be interested to see how Bill and Ted Face the Music does, Warner Bros clearly wants to do well as they pushed it from late August to mid September. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I will be interested to see how Bill and Ted Face the Music does, Warner Bros clearly wants to do well as they pushed it from late August to mid September. 

Sadly I’ve seen a lot of people online who must be watching this today illegally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Krissykins said:

Sadly I’ve seen a lot of people online who must be watching this today illegally. 

I know Tenet probably put them in a tough spot in terms of releasing Bill & Ted 3 day and date with the US, but I can see this having a weak performance in the UK because of it. They’d have been better off going the PVOD route with it I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

I know Tenet probably put them in a tough spot in terms of releasing Bill & Ted 3 day and date with the US, but I can see this having a weak performance in the UK because of it. They’d have been better off going the PVOD route with it I think.

Tenet not surprisingly is the bigger deal for WB whereas Bill and Ted was just something they're only distributing in the UK and probably aren't expecting it be a big moneymaker but with so few new releases, it might do okay by default.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Krissykins said:

$7.1m opening for Tenet 

Add another $2m or so for Monday and that is very very impressive!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in work today and 3 other colleagues hated it. So between family, friends and now work: I’ve officially not heard from anyone who’s liked Tenet so far. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Back in work today and 3 other colleagues hated it. So between family, friends and now work: I’ve officially not heard from anyone who’s liked Tenet so far. 

Interesting, opposite experience for me which I mentioned in the other thread.

 

Went with 2 other friends, all of us loved it. Know another friend who saw it and he liked it (not as much as us), then finally one random guy who snap chatted me that he thought it was OK after I posted myself seeing it on my story lol. I haven't met anyone who has disliked it personally.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UK box office was up 354% thanks to Tenet. 
 

£5.33m for Tenet (5 day)

Onward £185k (£6.65m)

Unhinged £112k (£1.21m)

100% Wolf £140k (£880k)

Pinocchio £80k (£500k)

 

New Mutants made £220k from Sat/Sun previews, which would’ve been enough for number 2. This seems impressive, it had 4 showings in the smallest screen at my local, us 4 were the only ones in.

 

More than 20% of all UK cinemas remain closed. 50% is the maximum capacity allowed in any one screen. Most are doing less. Especially here in Scotland, where there has to be a minimum of 3 empty seats on either side of every household and every second row is closed. 
 

source: ScreenDaily

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tenet was #1 again, falling -35%. 

That gross for After We Collided from 40 cinemas is really impressive, haven’t heard of that film. New Mutants includes previews from last weekend. 
 

  1. Tenet, £2,151,490 from 613 sites. Total: £10,006,540 (2 weeks)
  2. The New Mutants, £686,407 from 538 sites (new)
  3. After We Collided, £254,771 from 40 sites (new)
  4. Onward, £135,669 from 456 sites. Total: £6,942,823 (27 weeks)
  5. Unhinged, £97,221 from 351 sites. Total: £1,436,244 (6 weeks)
  6. 100% Wolf, £96,970 from 455 sites. Total: £1,026,699 (6 weeks)
  7. Pinocchio, £56,928 from 366 sites. Total: £685,332 (3 weeks)
  8. Trolls World Tour £49,533 from 275 sites. Total: £762,929 (22 weeks)
  9. Black Panther, £48,334 from 239 sites. Total: £50,674,103 (134 weeks)
  10. Les Misérables, £48,090 from 130 sites (new)

Source: Charles Gant at Telegraph, who is moving to Screen Daily soon. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

That gross for After We Collided from 40 cinemas is really impressive, haven’t heard of that film

I think that is from Ireland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think that is from Ireland.

It's just not being shown in the major chains. Showcase is the main chain leading with it, and the cinema at Bluewater has more screens for it than New Mutants 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It's just not being shown in the major chains. Showcase is the main chain leading with it, and the cinema at Bluewater has more screens for it than New Mutants 

Launching film has it at 65k GBP. So yeah there's some numbers from UK too.

https://www.launchingfilms.com/current-top-15-films

Edited by charlie Jatinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.