Jump to content
Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:


Not really, for a Wednesday when 16.9m were watching the football. 
 

Plus, F9’s was £1.18m and did that translate to a $11.8m OD? 

 

ITV now saying they reached a peak of 27.6Million people watching the football. Judging the performance of this movie in the UK based on the OW is pretty much out the window given the circumstances. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Maybe. Or UK box office hasn't't quite recovered as fast as the US yet

I think that’s a big part of it. Anecdotally, normally I’d be first in line for a midnight showing of a Marvel movie, but with COVID cases skyrocketing again I’m waiting for PA on Friday. I doubt I’m alone in feeling this way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I think that’s a big part of it. Anecdotally, normally I’d be first in line for a midnight showing of a Marvel movie, but with COVID cases skyrocketing again I’m waiting for PA on Friday. I doubt I’m alone in feeling this way.

For me Ive just gotten used to not going to the cinema, and it will take more than an MCU movie prequel to get me excited for the format again, especially after Endgame. Its also on D+ for 19.99.

 

I predict cinemas will be one of the last to recover for the hospitality sector as I'm guessing the first thing people are going to want to experience after the pandemic will be the ability to socialise rather than go and watch a movie. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Shouldn't anyone who gonna watch Euro try to watch movie in weekend?

 

 

Maybe. Sunday will be very low though, as many people will make a whole day of the football event by drinking early. For other European countries, reaching the fonals may not be as big of a deal, especially if you are a country like France, Italy or Germany who are used to finding success in these international tournaments

 

England, not having reached a finals in an international tournament since 1966 will see this as a monumental event that needs celebrating.

 

Monday will probably have a record number of office sick days

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chicago said:

For me Ive just gotten used to not going to the cinema, and it will take more than an MCU movie prequel to get me excited for the format again, especially after Endgame. Its also on D+ for 19.99.

 

I predict cinemas will be one of the last to recover for the hospitality sector as I'm guessing the first thing people are going to want to experience after the pandemic will be the ability to socialise rather than go and watch a movie. 

Yeah, I mean I’m not wanting to go all gloom and doom because I know that can be triggering for some people on here and I don’t want to get into discussions about COVID, but I really do feel like the whole “getting used to not going to the cinema” thing is accurate for some people.

 

Prior to the pandemic I had a subscription to The Light Cinema and would go at least once a week, but I haven’t been inside a cinema since The Invisible Man in February 2020, and like you, it’ll take something truly “big” that induces a feeling of FOMO to get me back at this rate, and even then I doubt I’ll be back to going once a week anytime soon. James Bond and Halloween Kills will be able to get me back, I just hope the UK government’s new tactics with COVID don’t backfire as spectacularly as I fear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Chicago said:

The x10 rule is usually quite accurate for UK box office. 60% of the time, it works every time. You will have to go very far back in Marvels catalogue of films to find an OD smaller than that so it's definitely disappointing 

It isn’t disappointing. It’s a Wednesday, against a big football match, during a pandemic, with an upcoming streaming option, empty seats still apply etc. There are so many factors to consider, rather than blindly googling some old MCU numbers from normal times. 

5 hours ago, Chicago said:

For me Ive just gotten used to not going to the cinema, and it will take more than an MCU movie prequel to get me excited for the format again, especially after Endgame. Its also on D+ for 19.99.

 

I predict cinemas will be one of the last to recover for the hospitality sector as I'm guessing the first thing people are going to want to experience after the pandemic will be the ability to socialise rather than go and watch a movie. 


I’m not sure if you’re in the UK or not, but we’ve been able to go the cinema, go out for drinks and go out for meals for months now? 
 

I don’t know anyone who’s still waiting around/staying at home constantly. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chicago said:

The x10 rule is usually quite accurate for UK box office. 60% of the time, it works every time.


Not this year apparently. In The Heights and Freaky are the only ones that have did around 10x. 
 

So that’s 2 out of 14. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Krissykins said:


Not this year apparently. In The Heights and Freaky are the only ones that have did around 10x. 
 

So that’s 2 out of 14. 

Yeah we can class this year as a right off for any sort of trends. It can be reliable if you want to compare how big a movie is compared to what we see with US numbers. Say if a movie hit £10m on an opening weekend, I would see that as impressive as a $100m opener in the US. I find the MCU is equally as popular here as in the US so the x10 rule works, just compare some of the totals..

 

Endgame £88m UK to $858 US

Infinity war £70m to $658 

Avengers 1 £51m to $623m

Age of Ultron £48m to $459

BP £51 to $700m (understandably higher in the US)

 

I can't find access to some of the smaller grossing MCU movies in the UK but there tend to follow a simar path

 

 

Edited by Chicago
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see why the "getting used to not going to the movies" would be confined to the UK if that were the explanation. The OD is fine to good in most places, seems like either Euros or COVID cases or whatever else affected it in the UK specifically. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Menor said:

I don't see why the "getting used to not going to the movies" would be confined to the UK if that were the explanation. The OD is fine to good in most places, seems like either Euros or COVID cases or whatever else affected it in the UK specifically. 

I hope you're right

 

There's also not many countries that will see massive drops in revenue during a heatwave. I went to America once and remember seeing a huge queue during lovely weather and thinking 'If England had weather like this, you'd never see a queue this big for the cinema'.

 

We've also had 18 months of massively increased outdoor hobbies and lifestyle changes. I dont think UK cinemas will turn on like a switch by opening at the start of the summer when many people spent their furlong at b&q upgrading the garden 

 

Hopefully I'm proving wrong soon, we will see with Bond

Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole 'people don't want to go out anymore' narrative is false, I've been to Cruella and In The Heights in the last two months and both were decently attended and looking at the box office figures, there are actually quite good considering capacity is capped at 50% 

 

BW will be lower this weekend due to the final but it has the summer holidays coming up so any shortfall now will be more than made up later on. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

GBP1.05M THU / 2.25M 2 days

 

Guess 7.5M 5 days weekend.

Sounds about right

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Chicago said:

Hopefully I'm proving wrong soon, we will see with Bond

Speaking of Bond, first thing I’ve seen for it was the trailer before Black Widow. Hadn’t seen any of the trailers before. 

7 hours ago, Jonwo said:

This whole 'people don't want to go out anymore' narrative is false, I've been to Cruella and In The Heights in the last two months and both were decently attended and looking at the box office figures, there are actually quite good considering capacity is capped at 50% 

yeh, I’m going to my 9th film tonight lol. 
 

3 hours ago, Rthtr said:

Sounds about right


RTH in the UK thread!! What a treat :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Krissykins said:

 yeh, I’m going to my 9th film tonight lol. 

I've only seen two films since things have reopened but that's because I've been too busy doing other activities. Planning to see BW this week then possibly Space Jam the week after. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I've only seen two films since things have reopened but that's because I've been too busy doing other activities. Planning to see BW this week then possibly Space Jam the week after. 

I'm on 25 including 4 repeat viewings 👀

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm on 25 including 4 repeat viewings 👀

Man I'm on 11 with one repeat. How do you find the time, that's incredible!

I'm generally avoiding films I don't care about though like Hitman's Wife Bodyguard, probably Space Jam etc.

 

For the most part I've managed to see everything I want.

The only one that's not releasing at my local that's super frustrating is Another Round.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FilmFincher said:

Man I'm on 11 with one repeat. How do you find the time, that's incredible!

I'm generally avoiding films I don't care about though like Hitman's Wife Bodyguard, probably Space Jam etc.

 

For the most part I've managed to see everything I want.

The only one that's not releasing at my local that's super frustrating is Another Round.

I'm 5 minutes drive from a 15 screen cineworld, and I'm pretty open to watching most things that are on. Plus I'm happy to pop in to London for the Prince Charles Cinema on a dime as well. 

 

Oh, and Another Round is fantastic! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.