Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

2 hours ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

this is fantastic news. hopefully will kickstart the box office for other titles like Dune, Venom, etc

today is looking huge. hard to estimate but i'd say conservatively £6.5m+ and hopefully over £7m

and the rest :). It could end up being #4 highest Sat

• Like 6
  • Astonished 3

7 hours ago, RthBond said:

Damn, that is incredible. 

Just trying to think what the top Saturdays are. Endgame, TFA, Infinity War? 

For such a big market, it is so disappointing that we don’t have access to more granular information like daily box office/admissions for the UK like most other European countries (or even the rest of the world for that matter). I don’t get it 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RthBond said:

That is… stunning. Wow.

It’s increased every day so far despite a Thursday opening and midnights. 

You know it’s an event when actual news programmes are including the box office story in their line ups lol. 

6 hours ago, Heretic said:

Holy shit. Cinemas must be absolutely lapping this up after the last 18 months

Thought I'd chime in here, having seen 37 films since cinema's reopened (at Cineworld), all have had 20-25 minutes of adverts and trailers after the advertised start time. Some even as low as 17/18 minutes. 

Just got back from NTTD, and it had a whole 39 minutes of adverts + trailers! Advertised start time 11:30am, it actually started (with the bbfc screen) at 12:09pm, absolutely insane. 

So yeah, cinemas are loving the attention right now and making the most of it.

(to be clear I was happy to sit through the ads and trailers if it helps keep cinemas afloat)

6 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Thought I'd chime in here, having seen 37 films since cinema's reopened (at Cineworld), all have had 20-25 minutes of adverts and trailers after the advertised start time. Some even as low as 17/18 minutes. 

Just got back from NTTD, and it had a whole 39 minutes of adverts + trailers! Advertised start time 11:30am, it actually started (with the bbfc screen) at 12:09pm, absolutely insane. 

(to be clear I was happy to sit through the ads and trailers if it helps keep cinemas afloat)

I was lucky, only 20 minutes total between start time and bbfc card, though I was in an IMAX 

7 minutes ago, Stewart said:

yeah my cineworld had 35 mins of adverts for the film, really taking the piss tbh.

6 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I was lucky, only 20 minutes total between start time and bbfc card, though I was in an IMAX 

Ah that's not bad, didn't do IMAX this time as no decent seats. 

My showing was still maybe 60% full though, which is crazy compared to other things I've been to recently. 

I went to see "herself" the day it came out on a friday night and literally 5 other people were there. Kinda funny but also sad.

That said, there are some big hitters coming up I hope for the UK, in my opinion:

• Venom 2 should do decently well, although not sure what rating it will be (I seem to remember that may have hurt it last time)
  • Dune has been advertised as a blockbuster and epic, don't think it's making massive numbers, but should still be "good"
  • Dear Evan Hansen, I know it didn't do well in the US but I feel it has a chance to do good here as we love musicals
  • Eternals, should do good given it's Marvel and no D+ release
Edited by Stewart

3 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Ah that's not bad, didn't do IMAX this time as no decent seats. 

My showing was still maybe 60% full though, which is crazy compared to other things I've been to recently. 

I went to see "herself" the day it came out on a friday night and literally 5 other people were there. Kinda funny but also sad.

That said, there are some big hitters coming up I hope for the UK, in my opinion:

• Venom 2 should do decently well, although not sure what rating it will be (I seem to remember that may have hurt it last time)
  • Dune has been advertised as a blockbuster and epic, don't think it's making massive numbers, but should still be "good"
  • Dear Evan Hansen, I know it didn't do well in the US but I feel it has a chance to do good here as we love musicals
  • Eternals, should do good given it's Marvel and no D+ release

I booked my IMAX tickets as soon as they were available, so got my top of front section, dead centre seats that I wanted. 

I wouldn't sleep on Dune, numbers so far are pretty decent. 

4 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

Venom 2 is once again a 15

They really have a weird thing for these films at the BBFC, there’s nothing in either of these movies that you wouldn’t see or hear in a typical MCU movie. Venom having the same rating as The Suicide Squad is a bit of a joke.