Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

18 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

To be fair, with the 18 rating, I'm surprised they didn't add very strong language to the description cause there are two uses of c**t, I'm curious how many makes it a automatic 18.

Depends on the context I think, if someone just calls someone a “c**t” then it’s granted a bit more leeway, it’s when it’s used in a sexual context that they make more of a thing out of it.

8 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Depends on the context I think, if someone just calls someone a “c**t” then it’s granted a bit more leeway, it’s when it’s used in a sexual context that they make more of a thing out of it.

Yeah, I think if you use it aggressively / with violence its also automatically an 18 rating. I guess it's probably like f**k where any more than a few uses and it gets the higher rating.

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Ah it was in the same screen at mine, I’m sure they’ll report the numbers next week. 

I’m still amazed it’s an 18, nothing in the film warrants that rating. I’m going to guess around £600k. 

If Soho does £600k I can genuinely see it being beaten by Harry Potter this weekend. That's looking reeeeeally busy around me. 

3 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

Have you seen the film? I think there is one scene that is quite excessive in terms of content for the rating. Obviously won't mention which scene so I don't spoil it.

Yeh I went to see it as part of London Film Festival. If it’s the scene I think you’re talking about, I didn’t find it very explicit and it was all done in flashy cuts and lighting, but I suppose it does hit a few of the criteria. 

I pathetically haven’t been to see French Dispatch yet. Partly due to it being half term and me wanting to avoid all risk of any teenagers in there, as unlikely as that would be - especially at an indie theatre. 

Still, I’ve got Dispatch, Soho and Eternals all lined up for the back half of next week. 

36 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I pathetically haven’t been to see French Dispatch yet. Partly due to it being half term and me wanting to avoid all risk of any teenagers in there, as unlikely as that would be - especially at an indie theatre. 

Still, I’ve got Dispatch, Soho and Eternals all lined up for the back half of next week. 

All cinema in UK already back to normal 100% yet? 

Do you know how is the Eternals buzz there?

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

French Dispatch is basically dumped at my cinema after today, yet Evan Hansen still has a prime time showing every day. Guessing Uni got some good contracts on that one

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Soho will surely top £1 million easily? Never mind the certificate, it’s a film from a director with a huge fan base over here. Plus it’s Halloween this weekend, and the movie promises some chills and scares.

It’ll be fine I think. 

Everywhere I've looked it's being beaten by the Harry Potter re-release this weekend. I'd be shocked if that does £1m

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

French Dispatch is basically dumped at my cinema after today, yet Evan Hansen still has a prime time showing every day. Guessing Uni got some good contracts on that one

I guess it varies from cinema to cinema, I imagine it's something that'll do well with audiences in Islington but struggle in Stratford. 

4 hours ago, Danhjpn said:

All cinema in UK already back to normal 100% yet? 

Do you know how is the Eternals buzz there?

yes, we’re all back to normal. 

Eternals buzz I expect to really kick in now. Pre-sales where I am for opening weekend seem around Dune level at the moment, but the marketing campaign hasn’t ramped up yet - which it will this weekend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

yes, we’re all back to normal. 

Eternals buzz I expect to really kick in now. Pre-sales where I am for opening weekend seem around Dune level at the moment, but the marketing campaign hasn’t ramped up yet - which it will this weekend. 

If Shang-Chi could get to £5.7m in September then I expect a similar number for Eternals, the long running time might hurt it a bit.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2021 at 4:10 PM, Mike Hunt said:

To be fair, with the 18 rating, I'm surprised they didn't add very strong language to the description cause there are two uses of c**t, I'm curious how many makes it a automatic 18.

Language can only put a film at 15, afaik. THink you can have as many uses of Cnt as you like and that won't ever be enough to give it an 18, regardless of context.

12 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Language can only put a film at 15, afaik. THink you can have as many uses of Cnt as you like and that won't ever be enough to give it an 18, regardless of context.

Looks like it’s rating was made up of “Violence with injury detail, Very strong language, strong language, drug use and sexual threat”. 

They don’t like injury detail. 

5 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Everywhere I've looked it's being beaten by the Harry Potter re-release this weekend. I'd be shocked if that does £1m

A Harry Potter rerelease ? Which HP ? What can we expect from this rerelease ? £1M OW / £2M final run ?

50 minutes ago, Avatree said:

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/the-wolf-of-wall-street-q29sbgvjdglvbjpwwc0zoti1otq

Wolf of Wall Street is rated 18 for 'very strong language...'

It works the way f**k works at 12A and 15 it seems. Any aggressive use of C**t is automatically an 18, if you use it too much it will also be an 18, I was just wondering what the number is where they'd slap an automatic 18 on it

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Looks like it’s rating was made up of “Violence with injury detail, Very strong language, strong language, drug use and sexual threat”. 

They don’t like injury detail. 

Yeah, I do like how the BBFC only mention what gives the film the rating in the description and they go into more detail in the in depth ratings info for the stuff that would reach the lower ratings rather than mentioning everything in the description.

But yeah, the only thing that gives the film the 18 rating is the injury detail, all the other stuff not in the main description would be at 15 or lower level.

Think Dune will have a very soft drop this weekend. Shows in large format screens are looking as packed as last weekend. Makes sense really given the limited capacity of IMAX/PLF screens and these being heavily favoured for Dune over standard screens. 

• Like 1