Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

14 minutes ago, AJG said:

Morbid question so I'm sticking it in the spoilers

Hide contents

Do we know if cinemas shut and if films get delayed during the national mourning period if the Queen dies?

I know there's guidance for TV programming, but not sure when it comes to cinemas. There may be pressure to cancel certain types of movies in a similar way that the BBC is banned from showing comedy for 2 weeks after she passes. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I know there's guidance for TV programming, but not sure when it comes to cinemas. There may be pressure to cancel certain types of movies in a similar way that the BBC is banned from showing comedy for 2 weeks after she passes. 

I think cinemas might close the day of her death, like if it happens early enough like before 3/4pm in the day and the day of the funeral I could see them being closed (which is 10 days after her death and would be a bank holiday)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Probably a good thing that Spencer’s already been released in that case…

Dont get me wrong, I know it’ll be a big national moment when it happens, but the way that the BBC expects everyone and their dog to be “in mourning” and not able to handle comedy for two weeks is massively OTT.

• Like 1

Excuse me for the question, but I have a feeling that Queen Elisabth 2 and royalty in general is less and less popular in the UK and elsewhere in the world, is that true ? Maybe royalty is just a little "outdated" and it's not our time anymore.

Another question : If the Queen dies, is it the day of her death or her funeral (or both) that becomes a public holiday ? This holiday is it just in the UK or in other Commonwealth countries ? And this holiday is it just for a year or for the whole life ?

32 minutes ago, LPLC said:

Excuse me for the question, but I have a feeling that Queen Elisabth 2 and royalty in general is less and less popular in the UK and elsewhere in the world, is that true ? Maybe royalty is just a little "outdated" and it's not our time anymore.

Another question : If the Queen dies, is it the day of her death or her funeral (or both) that becomes a public holiday ? This holiday is it just in the UK or in other Commonwealth countries ? And this holiday is it just for a year or for the whole life ?

Based on my experience, I’d definitely say that Royal popularity is on the wane. When Prince Phillip died I think there were more people irritated by the constant royal fawning than there were people who were actually upset by it. Again, don’t get me wrong, it’s sad that a man died, but it wasn’t worth BBC1 and 2 completely shelving their schedules for an entire day for the sake of constant news updates (I know, I know, “just change the channel” I hear you say, and believe me I did, but it was still overkill).

I believe the bank holiday would be just for the day of the funeral for the year that it happens so that people can watch it on TV.

• Like 1

The Queen is still hugely popular here in the UK - even amongst the more republican she's still admired for her near-constant work. The only other royal with a level of popularity approaching that is William. I'm fairly indifferent, but can appreciate that the Royal Family represents a pretty big part of our nation's identity on the global stage (and is responsible for a lot of tourism).

In related box-office talk, I'll be intrigued to see how Spencer is performing. I went to a packed screening at the Barbican earlier this week. It's an odd film - I'd normally expect anything royal family related to clean up, but Diana's story is told in a VERY non-traditional way here. That being said, The Favourite made +$20m here so perhaps UK audiences are more experimental than I give them credit for.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Based on my experience, I’d definitely say that Royal popularity is on the wane. When Prince Phillip died I think there were more people irritated by the constant royal fawning than there were people who were actually upset by it. Again, don’t get me wrong, it’s sad that a man died, but it wasn’t worth BBC1 and 2 completely shelving their schedules for an entire day for the sake of constant news updates (I know, I know, “just change the channel” I hear you say, and believe me I did, but it was still overkill).

I believe the bank holiday would be just for the day of the funeral for the year that it happens so that people can watch it on TV.

The BBC lost their mind during the Phillip coverage. Outside of the Queen no royal is worth that much attention and they should’ve adjusted their rules for coverage years ago. It gave us some gems though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LPLC said:

Not really. The Queen's popularity in the UK is consistently above 70%, with recent peaks above 80%. Support for the monarchy as an institution is also stable, according to the latest Ipsos MORI poll (they've been tracking it since 1993 and there's been little change over nearly 30 years: https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/monarchyroyal-family-trends-monarchy-v-republic-1993-2016). Support for a republic is at only 18% in the most recent poll I can find (Redfield), exactly the same as in 1993. Unsurprisingly, support for a republic is highest among the very young, as has always been the case: many of them will probably change their mind as they grow older, just as many of their parents, grandparents and great-grandparents did.

Its 2021, strange world has kings and queens still.

In India, there's Karnataka state. There was an actor Raj Kumar. These people consider him godlike. His family is considered first family. Few days back his son died, the whole state was in mourning, cinema closed for 3 days, etc.

Its crazy.

• Haha 1