BOT Retrospective - Top 25 Movies of 1999. Full list revealed

Spoiler

American Beauty

#1 on 1 list

Top 5 on 11 lists

Appears on 30 lists

HP2582_4020df3b-89c3-4651-84de-5aeb558c7

Thanks again to @baumer for the writeup

The little film that could and did.  The highest it reached on the weekend chart was number 3, and that was in its third week.  It was a movie that was built on WOM.  I remember in the summer of 99, going to see films like Blair Witch and Sixth Sense, and seeing giant cut outs for it that had critics gushing over it.  This was splashed across the top of the stand up or poster.  This undeniably got people's attention.  On a budget of 15 million, it went on to make 130 million domestic and more than 350 million world wide.  It won best picture, director and actor and it made Sam Mendes a house hold name.  Saying it has lost some of it's lustre over the years isn't really fair or true.  Kevin Spacey has become a pariah and a punchline now, and that is why the film has become soiled in some eyes.  But the film itself is still a beautiful allegory about life, love, acceptance and angst.  

• Like 11

Spoiler

Office Space

#1 on 2 lists

Top 5 on 9 lists

Appears on 32 lists

51oF9Wc3pOL.jpg

No one saw Office Space in the winter of 1999.  It made a grand total of 10.8 million dollars and it wasn't even tracked internationally.  But for those of us who did, we never shut up about it, never stopped telling people to see it and we all couldn't get the lines and images out of our heads.  From Lumberg, the delegating, suspenders wearing, coffee drinking robot of a boss, to Milton, the squirrel loving, staple obsessed, nasal sounding annoying co-worker to the Lumberg fucked her guy, to Michael Bolton to the Bob's, to Samir....naga...naga...nagonna-work-here-anymore, to not quitting but just not going to work anymore, to the pieces of flare, to the channel 9 breast exam to the Superman 3 scam to steal company money, the film went on to become one of the most quotable films of all time.  

After the anaemic box-office performance, the movie gained cult status on video. Mike Judge has said more people talk to him about this movie than any project he has ever worked on. Judge was offered a chance to make a sequel, "Office Space 2: Still Renting", but said that he had been through enough anguish over the first one, that he didn't want to put himself through the experience again.  I think it's better that this is just a one off, it just feels and works better that way

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Office Space

#1 on 2 lists

Top 5 on 9 lists

Appears on 32 lists

51oF9Wc3pOL.jpg

No one saw Office Space in the winter of 1999.  It made a grand total of 10.8 million dollars and it wasn't even tracked internationally.  But for those of us who did, we never shut up about it, never stopped telling people to see it and we all couldn't get the lines and images out of our heads.  From Lumberg, the delegating, suspenders wearing, coffee drinking robot of a boss, to Milton, the squirrel loving, staple obsessed, nasal sounding annoying co-worker to the Lumberg fucked her guy, to Michael Bolton to the Bob's, to Samir....naga...naga...nagonna-work-here-anymore, to not quitting but just not going to work anymore, to the pieces of flare, to the channel 9 breast exam to the Superman 3 scam to steal company money, the film went on to become one of the most quotable films of all time.  

After the anaemic box-office performance, the movie gained cult status on video. Mike Judge has said more people talk to him about this movie than any project he has ever worked on. Judge was offered a chance to make a sequel, "Office Space 2: Still Renting", but said that he had been through enough anguish over the first one, that he didn't want to put himself through the experience again.  I think it's better that this is just a one off, it just feels and works better that way

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! THIS IS A TOP 5 MOVIE! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

The Green Mile

#1 on 0 lists

Top 5 on 12 lists

Appears on 32 lists

HP2490_749741be-617d-4e87-b0e9-e809dc7d8

HP2490_749741be-617d-4e87-b0e9-e809dc7d8

Frank Darabont and Stephen King team up again after The Shawshank Redemption in a movie which probably isn't remembered as fondly as Shawshank. I haven't seen this movie in full yet, bits and pieces over the years.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

61-90

61 Entrapment
62 Fantasia 2000
63 Varsity Blues 
64 Bicentennial Man
65 The Wind Will Carry Us
66 Big Daddy
67 Himalaya
68 Instinct
69 Adolescence Of Utena
70 Anna and the king
71 For Love of the Game
72 Time Regained
73 Tomten är far till alla barnen
74 The Best Man
75 virus
76 Felicia's Journey
77 Lake Placid
78 universal soldier 2
79 Wild Wild West
80 The General's Daughter
81 The Thirteenth Floor
82 end of days
83 The Winslow Boy
84 Existenz
85 Inspector Gadget
86 Runaway Bride
87 The Boondock Saints
88 The Cider House Rules
89 the haunting
90 Stigmata
  • Like 5

Spoiler

The Insider

#1 on 5 lists

Top 5 on 8 lists

Appears on 32 lists

The_Insider_Movie_Poster_27x40_grande.jp

Michael Mann before he made cyberthrillers ( @Plain Old Tele). Al Pacino in his last restrained performance (?) and Russell Crowe just before he blew up. An engrossing movie which mainly consists of people talking to each other. I remember the movie mainly for being nominated for a number of Oscars and not winning any, and then having to write a thesis on the different communication styles used in this movie for my MBA project.

The movie is #1 on 5 lists which is tied for 3rd in lists for #1 placements, but didn't get enough wide support to put it higher.

• Like 14
  • Sad 3

26 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

For we IT people, that scene is utter wish fulfilment 

Die mouthafucka die mouthafucka die!

Just now, filmlover said:

lmao I never doubted that Tarzan was gonna make it even it wouldn't have even made a top 40 list of the year for me.

Real question is if Princess Mononoke is showing up.

Kind of doubt it, even though it was in the top 10 in 1997. 😭

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Wow, you're doing all of this in one day? Thank you so much!

I’m aiming to. Depends on the daughter’s mood, if she gets restless staying at home it might spill into tomorrow a bit. Will try my best to wrap it up today 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1