baumer

Top 30 films of 1989 (baumer's favourite year)IMDB is the source...if it's 1989 on IMDb it qualifies...Aug 25th is deadline

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

That was a good year :wub: 

I have to disagree. I'm close to finishing watching films or this list and it looks like will be the weakest year for me of all the yearly lists I have done so far.

4 minutes ago, Tower said:

I have to disagree. I'm close to finishing watching films or this list and it looks like will be the weakest year for me of all the yearly lists I have done so far.

1. depends on if you look for quality only or also for fun, or?

2. also on if you've seen enough movies, maybe missed a few of the best ones matching to what you look out for?

3. what is 'weak' for you? Means how do you use the term? What year is better?

To me its a good movie year bcs it was an enjoyable year.

E.g. movies like Tang & Cash are not good movies, but are fun like hell if you like the style. I laughed my .... behind of about that one.

• Like 1

Man I love Rutger Hauer, nearly missed he had another one in 1989 too. Had a great Joan Chen and a young Vincent D'Onofrio in it too.

Again, not called good quality acc IMDb, RT even way worse by the critics, but nice with audience, but several details,... interesting to me anyway:

The Blood of Heroes aka (The) Salute of the Jugger

Sadly my list is full already

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I think I've seen Blood of Heroes? Legit can't remember though.

utopian future, people wander from ~ arena to arena as a kind of gladiatorial brutal footbal version players/fighters and fight for money, fame, a future as ~ employed in city teams.

Rutger's character looses an eye, in a way he furthers Chen's character. Rutger has a rich and powerful man working against him for something of the past....

The end is a bit atypical, especially for its time I think.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I think I've seen Blood of Heroes? Legit can't remember though.

Post Apocalyptic roaming sports teams fighting to survive - kind of a mix of Mad Max, MMA fighting and football using a bloody dog skull.

I love Hauer but had to nope out after  20 or so minutes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, terrestrial said:

1. depends on if you look for quality only or also for fun, or?

2. also on if you've seen enough movies, maybe missed a few of the best ones matching to what you look out for?

3. what is 'weak' for you? Means how do you use the term? What year is better?

To me its a good movie year bcs it was an enjoyable year.

E.g. movies like Tang & Cash are not good movies, but are fun like hell if you like the style. I laughed my .... behind of about that one.

I don't really separate the two quite as much as you do, if I enjoyed watching a film then I will rate it highly. It doesn't work the other way since a film can be good for things other than fun, but if a film is boring then I would never rate it highly.

Obviously I could never see everything, so there is a chance that I missed something great, but I do have a pretty good sense of what I might like and if I see everything that seem interesting enough to see then it should be a good approximation of how good the year is. If I compare 1989 to the other years I made a list for, then at each spot near the top of the list I think there is a better film in the other years, including 1999, in which I saw fewer overall films because I was busy with the black and white list.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tower said:

then at each spot near the top of the list I think there is a better film in the other years,

ahhh, that was your criteria!

I meant the volume/count of enjoyable movies!

I think I even wrote something like that in this thread, or was it Baumer, as such I  might not have added it later in too, as already stated?

Agree to the rest you wrote very much in general, only maybe difference is:

if a movie bores me or I do not like the story at all, it still can get points for different craftsmanships in it, I think that is the only difference between us, usually those titles will still not end up high on my lists (but still might end in the middle ground of my ratings even if I give 0 points for the story), especially if its limited to a certain count they might not even be on a top something list, as such they wont have an impact anyway

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

am I allowed to vote for Tongues Untied? It had a theatrical release, but it's only 55 minutes. i'm kinda low on 89 films so i'd rather vote for that than Little Mermaid

You can vote for anything if it's on imdb.  I think a 55 minute movie is okay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Up to 18 lists. 

i hope that goes higher.  There was a good deal of lists for the comic book one so hopefully this subject starts to get more contributions :) 

• Like 2

my list

1. When Harry Met Sally...
  2. Do the Right Thing
  3. Dead Poets Society
  4. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
  5. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  6. Tongues Untied
  7. Honey I Shrunk the Kids
  8. Parenthood
  9. Batman
  10. Glory
  • Like 4

Some quick observations:

The two biggest films of the year box office wise are getting a lot of love.

Joel Silver could have three spots on the countdown, two for sure (or so it looks from the naked eye)

Nora Ephron's most famous films is well represented

There are a few foreign films making a good run

One particular British film that involves full frontal male nudity looks like it is going to make the list

Brian dePalma might struggle to make the list but a few more people have made a pitch for him in the last few lists.

Red, Wesley, Hub and Sloane's boyfriend whom was spotted by someone at 31 flavours, is also making a good showing.

Shitter's full should make the list.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Some quick observations:

The two biggest films of the year box office wise are getting a lot of love.

Joel Silver could have three spots on the countdown, two for sure (or so it looks from the naked eye)

Nora Ephron's most famous films is well represented

There are a few foreign films making a good run

One particular British film that involves full frontal male nudity looks like it is going to make the list

Brian dePalma might struggle to make the list but a few more people have made a pitch for him in the last few lists.

Red, Wesley, Hub and Sloane's boyfriend whom was spotted by someone at 31 flavours, is also making a good showing.

Shitter's full should make the list.

Joel Silver only has two movies from 1989 unless I am mistaken.

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Joel Silver only has two movies from 1989 unless I am mistaken.

You are mistaken. correct.

I thought for some reason, he also produced Next of Kin.  My mistake.