baumer

Top 30 films of 1989 (baumer's favourite year)IMDB is the source...if it's 1989 on IMDb it qualifies...Aug 25th is deadline

If anyone hasn't seen Parenthood, I would urge you to do so.....incredible cast, including a young Joaquin Phoenix and young Keanu.

• Like 5
  • Knock It Off 1

all the movies look terrible.  does anyone know me well enough to make a prep-list of 50 movies i should see that year that fits in my culture scenario/upload that i can benefit from.  i don't want to hear 80s music or see sex comedies from those times because that culture shouldn't exist anymore.  how are the foreign films?  😃  thanks for the help.  i'm not going to suffer through all of these like the movie watcher/categorizer i am.  is the James Bond one even good?  thanks!

Edited by 2010s Painkiller Race
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 3

51 minutes ago, baumer said:

If anyone hasn't seen Parenthood, I would urge you to do so.....incredible cast, including a young Joaquin Phoenix and young Keanu.

yes professor....  lol. 

can you think of a bunch of movies recently that compare to Parenthood?

all i can think of is Green Book and What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

they are sooooo boring, i'd have to fail them at 77%/C+, tied with the best picture winner (Green Book) for merit.

would Parenthood make it on your list above the action movies of 89?  How does something like Boyhood become mainstream?  It's like the best of family sitcoms at the theater.  I need to go to more of those like Boyhood when they are sold out on Friday nights on the 4th weekend (when it's not XMAS).  I think Parenthood had like Passengers legs to 100M

I was 3 in 1989 and I think one of the first movies I saw was Little Mermaid, All Dogs Go To Heaven, The Rescuers Down Under and Balto.  The animation from all of them terrified me.  Aladdin was even worse feeling like I was getting suffocated at first.  and I refused Beauty and the Beast, hid into my parents, and declared myself allergic to that movie for like 10 years.

• Disbelief 1

I think my current Top 5 would be:

1. Kiki's Delivery Service

2. Do The Right Thing

3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

4. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

5. Batman

Hoping to find more I love over the next month or so!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Is there a plenty for a half list? 

I do not understand that, could you please explain what you are asking about?

Edited by terrestrial

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I do not understand that, could you please explain what you are asking about?

Oh. Sorry. Typo. That was suppose to say penalty. Sometimes if you submit less than a full list on these, the points are less. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember the advertisements for both Batman and Indiana Jones. The idea of a gritty Batman movie. Say whut? It immediately caught on. And of course there was The Little Mermaid which brought Disney out of the dark ages. There wasn’t talk of a Disney renaissance yet, not until BaTB and Aladdin. But Little Mermaid was something special.

I also remember the buzz around Parenthood and Look Who’s Talking.

Huge year. Good times.

• Like 3