baumer

Top 30 films of 1989 (baumer's favourite year)IMDB is the source...if it's 1989 on IMDb it qualifies...Aug 25th is deadline

3 hours ago, chasmmi said:

It's Official. IMDB US release Date July 29th 1989:

Sorry, if it is not on BOM, then as long as it is imdb, and this one is, then it is fine. 

That means the IMDb year of release, which is 1988. Also Wiki says nothing about a 1989 American release, only that it was put out on VHS in 1993 and no theatrical distributor had rights to it until the 2010s.

Guys this doesn't have to be complicated. Let's just pick one source and say if it's on that particular one then that's the one that we go by. We can choose either boxofficemojo or the Internet movie database it's up to you guys.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Guys this doesn't have to be complicated. Let's just pick one source and say if it's on that particular one then that's the one that we go by. We can choose either boxofficemojo or the Internet movie database it's up to you guys.

Going by IMDb would qualify movies (incl. undeniably popular ones like The Killer and Kiki's Delivery Service) that never had a proper American theatrical run, as well as those that only played at festivals and overseas in 1989 (i.e. The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover)

Going by BOM would basically limit us to these 240 movies, that's it https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=1989&p=.htm 

You could make it a poll?

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

If we want to be precise, IMDB is the best. Just go by the first US release date that isn’t a festival. 

But that would mean disqualifying some popular and acclaimed movies, if we only go by non festival US releases.

I liked the system I thought we had before. If it's a 1989 release on BOM, it's good for the list. If it's not on BOM, but is listed on imdb as 1989 (meaning it was released anywhere in the world in 1989), it's also good.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 3

just let everything in, imo... if you feel it deserves to be on your 1989 list then put it on your 1989 list. If enough people have it on there for it to make it to the top 30 then it probably is a film that's recognised as being 1989.

All right let's just let everything in. I really don't care to be honest with you. If it's listed on IMDb as a 1989 film then we'll just go with that. I don't want to make this too complicated and I just want to keep it as fun as possible.

• Like 7

Since there are no other movies from 1989 that I'm interested in seeing.

Also, Akira is ineligible then, right?

1. Do the Right Thing
2. The Killer
3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
4. Heathers
5. Lethal Weapon 2
6. My Left Foot
7. Batman
8. Born on the Fourth of July
9. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
10. When Harry Met Sally
11. Licence to Kill
12. Kickboxer
13. Black Rain
14. Dead Calm
15. Tango & Cash

dang it!  I had a feeling I forgot to add a movie.  I sent an altered list so I hope that is ok since it's before the deadline.  It really didn't change much as it was in the 20s anyway but I had to have it on the list

I think it's better to use the Internet movie database. That is a much more comprehensive site then using box office mojo. So if the original release date is listed on the Internet movie database as 1989 that is what we will use. And I will put that in the title so that everybody knows going forward.

• Like 7

What a fascinating year 1989 was!

also known as Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!

For some people (out of those that had missed Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown) this 3rd Almodovar Banderas combo I guess could be a first awareness film of Antonio Banderas - who later on went to the US where he phonally learned his role for Mambo Kings (not the best of movies, but for me, a non-native English speaker, its fascinating to see how someone plays without speaking 'a word' of English at that time).

MV5BMjExMDM0OTItY2E1YS00N2Y4LWFlNGMtOTgy

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 3

My revised list for now. Had to kick out 10 titles out of all I wrote down. Mostly 'better' than m #30, but #30 made me laugh a lot....

My Left Foot

Black Rain (Japan) don't watch it if feeling down already or if being sensitive, the intro is extreme as very realistic

Camille Claudel

sex, lies and videotape

Henry V

For All Mankind

The Abyss

Glory

Batman

When Harry Met Sally

Casualties of War

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

¡Átame! a.k.a. Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!

Lethal Weapon 2 (Danny Glover in the embassy had me in tears from laughter. And I totally get his I am too old for that shit now - its hilarious in parts, see toilet scene and its conclusion, car vs house, and sombre in others, see the reason for car vs house)

War Requiem

Driving Miss Daisy

Johnny Handsome (in my POV underrated)

Field of Dreams

Romero

Sea of Love

Always (Audrey Hepburn was already very ill, her last role)

Next of Kin (in my POV underrated, plus it has Andreas Katsulas in it)

Blind Fury (in my POV underrated)

Road House (the band…. watched it e.g. for Jeff Healey)

A Dry White Season

Silence Like Glass

New York Stories (segment Life Lessons)

Black Rain (US) (love-hate)

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Tango & Cash (I like it as it made me laugh a lot. Probably at moments it wasn't intended to also, some roll-eyes... I've seen the German version)

• Like 2