Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread - Actuals: H&S 25.3, Scary Stories 20.9, TLK 20.2, Dora 17.4, OUATIH 11.6, Racing in Rain 8.1, Kitchen 5.5

3 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

The only time I can remember Disney caring about any box-office milestone was Endgame beating Avatar, and that's probably ONLY because it was Avatar.... otherwise they seem to be fine pulling movies from theaters no matter how close they might be to a nice number or a marketable record.

They did push Black Panther to 700m domestic. 

• Like 1

Here for the biggest event of the weekend

22 16 John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum LG/S $125,000 -48.7% 174 -165 $718 $170,462,567 - 13

Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend:  $56,818,067
(#1 rank, 3,850 theaters, $14,758 average)
% of Total Gross:  33.3%

John Wick: Chapter 3x

@MrPink it came true

John Wick is the only good franchise

passed 150m OS this weekend too

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, a2k said:

100 more OS-Japan after ~42 weekend.

50 more Japan after 9.3 weekend.

That takes OS to 861.5 + 100 + 50 = ~1011.5

540 Dom gives ~1551.5 WW

I don't see where the dough for 1600 comes from. Japan could do 10 more than my ~60 guess and OS-Japan could add 15-20 more taking WW to 1575-1580. Don't think Dom will go over low-540 as I2's legs from now on give it 548 and it's been trailing I2's trending a lot. 535+ Dom is more realistic than 545+.

I2 had far more competition from this point on. TLK has a dead rest of August.  It's currently in 4,200 theaters and there won't be a $20m opener from here on out until IT.  The new openers will be shedding theaters faster than it as will holdovers like SM, TS & OUATIH.

Saw OUAT...IH today. Not big on the third act (the execution more than the idea) but the first two hours still make it my favorite Tarantino since Basterds. I could watch Rick and Cliff go about their day for hours and hours. 

16 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

You can squeeze 20+ out of Italy

Probably more like $25-30m.  Italy like Spain this year has been going huge for the Disney re-makes.   Spain has already done $33m on its way to maybe $40m.  Italy did about 65-75% of Spain for Dumbo & Aladdin

13 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

22 16 John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum LG/S $125,000 -48.7% 174 -165 $718 $170,462,567 - 13

Domestic Summary

@MrPink it came true

wick3's multi by sunday is 3.00x and it will beat wick2's multiplier (3.02x) along with a dom increase of 86%. unprecedented (especially for a sequel to a movie that did >90 dom)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Probably more like $25-30m.  Italy like Spain this year has been going huge for the Disney re-makes.   Spain has already done $33m on its way to maybe $40m.  Italy did about 65-75% of Spain for Dumbo & Aladdin

I mean, that’s what the “+” is for 😛 

27 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Domestic Summary

@MrPink it came true

I did kind of suggest it will do 170m if we follow the other movies multipliers. 

13nbBfu.png

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, a2k said:

wick3's multi by sunday is 3.00x and it will beat wick2's multiplier (3.02x) along with a dom increase of 86%. unprecedented (especially for a sequel to a movie that did >90 dom)

It need 171.6m total to be level with JW2. That's a tall ask now. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, a2k said:

wick3's multi by sunday is 3.00x and it will beat wick2's multiplier (3.02x) 

that would require making another 1.4m and it clearly doesn't have that in the tank. still a win obvs. also 2 is my favorite of the Wicks so I like it having the best multi too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

that would require making another 1.4m and it clearly doesn't have that in the tank. still a win obvs. also 2 is my favorite of the Wicks so I like it having the best multi too.

No joke, I want a prequel spin-off based on Common's character so bad.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tawasal said:

The next one could 80m-100m OW and 250m+ dom. What a franchise if that happens.

Not completely convinced it will jump that high again. Feel like Wick 3 had somewhat of a perfect storm going for it that I can't see it being replicated in a fourth film. Especially since fourthquels usually see a decline in the first place. But of course, Wick isn't like most franchises, so what do I know?

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I doubt 250 but something like 80/220 is looking good. 

I really didn't think 170m was gonna happen after week 3, but it still went on and produced amazing late legs. It could be possible that the next one has a similar development. Something like being the finale of the franchise, if that is how it's marketed could also push it to higher total. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

I2 had far more competition from this point on. TLK has a dead rest of August.  It's currently in 4,200 theaters and there won't be a $20m opener from here on out until IT.  The new openers will be shedding theaters faster than it as will holdovers like SM, TS & OUATIH.

But IIRC I2 currently has a $30M+ lead, despite TLK having more theaters and worse holds both weekdays and weekends. 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Not completely convinced it will jump that high again. Feel like Wick 3 had somewhat of a perfect storm going for it that I can't see it being replicated in a fourth film. Especially since fourthquels usually see a decline in the first place. But of course, Wick isn't like most franchises, so what do I know?

They just need to replicate the good quality of this one and good reviews and good WOM and it will get there. And also a nice release date would be much needed. JW3 benefited also from a lot mediocre movies flopping. A lot of ifs I know, but we can dream a little bigger.