Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread - Actuals: H&S 25.3, Scary Stories 20.9, TLK 20.2, Dora 17.4, OUATIH 11.6, Racing in Rain 8.1, Kitchen 5.5

3 minutes ago, 2010s Painkiller Race said:

do you think similar numbers with Godzilla 3: Kong of the Kings when it opens?

I don't know what this two movies have to do with each other. But I don't think we will see anything past 150m for Kong vs Godzilla domestically as it looks for now. 100m could be at risk, if the GA are in unforgiving mood. Fans of Godzilla series loved the movie, including me. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah I kinda think JW4 needs to be the grand finale. Would serve it well both creatively and BO-wise. 

There is no way Lionsgate doesn't milk this franchise for at least 3 more movies.

• Like 1

I really want it to end in 4 MOVIES. Everyone is waiting for the next movie, I am afraid after that one, people will start to think, who asked for a 5th and the box office performance might go down because of that. And John Wick needs the rest.

• Like 1

They already sorta cheated in the third one when they basically just reset the story in the middle of it. If the fourth one is just "here's two more hours of Keanu shooting people" without an endpoint in sight I think the diminishing returns will get very real. 

• Like 3

i'm 20 minutes into Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

how's the reception with it?  do people throw Jeff Goldblum/Justin Bieber fits over Leo Dicap?

so far i'm at                                                                                

96 - Dark Phoenix

96 - Captain Marvel

96 - Alita

94 - Godzilla

93 - Spider-Man

93 - The Kid Who Would Be King

93 - Wonder Park

92 - Shazam!

91 - Aladdin

91 - The Lion King

funny break up roller blades (to the church mourning themes in TLK)

azNiz6E.png

azNiz6E.png

Edited by 2010s Painkiller Race

I can't see Lionsgate being able to stretch JW past 5, at least with Keanu leading.

The 5th would see a big drop off, and the 6th would probably be in the Last Knight territory of dropoffs if they decided to keep going.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

I love the John Wick series, but the third one was nothing but a complete rehash of the second one, the only reason people went easy on it was because it was fun as hell. But, they won't be able to maintain that interest if the plot doesn't improve, a TF/POTC situation will happen if the next one doesn't have a strong hook.

• Like 2

John Wick started to be unfun ( is that a word ?) with

John Wick 2

I personally would have made the 2nd movies about his kitty and the third about his blowfish.

Couldn't care less about the hotel, blood debt and currency shenanigans.

This shit is booooooring as fuck.

Makes me sleepy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, a2k said:

100 more OS-Japan after ~42 weekend.

50 more Japan after 9.3 weekend.

That takes OS to 861.5 + 100 + 50 = ~1011.5

540 Dom gives ~1551.5 WW

I don't see where the dough for 1600 comes from. Japan could do 10 more than my ~60 guess and OS-Japan could add 15-20 more taking WW to 1575-1580. Don't think Dom will go over low-540 as I2's legs from now on give it 548 and it's been trailing I2's trending a lot. 535+ Dom is more realistic than 545+.

Forgotten Italy?

10 hours ago, 2010s Painkiller Race said:

i'm 20 minutes into Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

how's the reception with it?  do people throw Jeff Goldblum/Justin Bieber fits over Leo Dicap?

so far i'm at                                                                                

96 - Dark Phoenix

96 - Captain Marvel

96 - Alita

94 - Godzilla

93 - Spider-Man

93 - The Kid Who Would Be King

93 - Wonder Park

92 - Shazam!

91 - Aladdin

91 - The Lion King

funny break up roller blades (to the church mourning themes in TLK)

azNiz6E.png

azNiz6E.png

checking out John Wick 3.  the posts above are putting pressure on my critical eye to get this in the B-range below 90.  But all these movies I just saw feels like 2019 is on this 'Bourne streak', like all the 2019 movies are hitting the senses too well, and they are hard for critics to not want to watch again and show to kids to be their favorites

9 hours ago, MrPink said:

I can't see Lionsgate being able to stretch JW past 5, at least with Keanu leading.

The 5th would see a big drop off, and the 6th would probably be in the Last Knight territory of dropoffs if they decided to keep going.

if the prod budget is under control than they can keep going. transformers and f&f had huge budgets while wick3 had a 50m prod budget and is doing nearly 3.5x that dom where the returns are the best.

even as budget for subsequent films increases one can imagine wick7/8 being made on 125 prod budget with dom itself matching that even if the films are gonna drop big dom from heights of say wick4/5. feel os will continue to discover wick franchise more and more and hasn't reached it's true potential there.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The Wick franchise is borderline starting to become a superhero franchise in terms of the absurdity of the movies (and I mean that in a good way). Don't see the next movie having a budget less than 80 mil.

JWU - John Wick Uni