Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread - Actuals: H&S 25.3, Scary Stories 20.9, TLK 20.2, Dora 17.4, OUATIH 11.6, Racing in Rain 8.1, Kitchen 5.5

49 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, what CinemaScores are we getting tonight?

Dora: A- / B+ 

Scary Stories: B- / C+

The Kitchen: C-/ D+

I’d be surprised if the kitchen goes below a B. I think at least a B+, maybe even an A-

Edited by YLF

28 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Good wom for Dora? Where it's audience rating is 73%. Pretty bad actually for a family film 

Its verified audience score is 86%. The fact that there's such a discrepancy makes me think the overall audience score is deflated.

1 hour ago, harrisonisdead said:

Its verified audience score is 86%. The fact that there's such a discrepancy makes me think the overall audience score is deflated.

I have no idea why, but for some reason Dora got review bombed on IMDB, so it doesn't surprise me to see the same thing happening on the All Audience score over at RT.

Starting to fill up a bit over at IMDB, but even last night before the vast majority of folks had a chance to see it, it had in insane number of "0 1" votes.  Naturally, there was a counter bombing of "10" votes, but that's besides the point.

Just odd that Dora of all flippin' movies would get IMDB user's knickers in a twist.

Edited by Porthos
Lowest vote at IMDB is 1, not 0. Apologies

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I have no idea why, but for some reason Dora got review bombed on IMDB, so it doesn't surprise me to see the same thing happening on the All Audience score over at RT.

Starting to fill up a bit over at IMDB, but even last night before the vast majority of folks had a chance to see it, it had in insane number of "0" votes.  Naturally, there was a counter bombing of "10" votes, but that's besides the point.

Just odd that Dora of all flippin' movies would get IMDB user's knickers in a twist.

@cdsacken ? Where are you?

Wonder what they think they'll gain from review bombing it on RT now that the verified score easily exposes any fudgery with the non-verified one.

I guess it just being a Dora the Explorer movie was enough to set them off.

Edited by cookie

49 minutes ago, Porthos said:

A big screen adaptation of a Nick Jr. show aimed largely at girls seems like exactly the kind of thing that would make the review-bombing crowd pounce.

15 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

A big screen adaptation of a Nick Jr. show aimed largely at girls seems like exactly the kind of thing that would make the review-bombing crowd pounce.

I would have hoped that they largely ignored it, really.

But the difference between men and women voting right now is crazy nutty banannas:

IMDB (men)

Rating		Votes
10  20.1%	71
9    3.7%	13
8    7.4%	26
7   11.3%	40
6   14.4%	51
5    7.9%	28
4    5.4%	19
3    2.8%	10
2    3.4%	12
1   23.5%	83

IMDB (women)

Rating		Votes
10 30.4%	14
9   2.2%	 1
8  10.9%	 5
7  26.1%	12
6   8.7%	 4
5   2.2%	 1
4   8.7%	 4
3   2.2%	 1
2   4.3%	 2
1   4.3%	 2

One of these is not like the other.

Just embarrassing, really.

NB:  That doesn't include 250 or so ratings where a gender wasn't given.  But the spread on men and all voters is pretty similar, especially when it comes to the "1's" and "10's" percentages (All -  1: 23.9% [versus 23.5%] and 10: 22.7% [versus 20.1%]).

Edited by Porthos

17 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Not bad numbers for early projections. The Kitchen though ouch... Melissa McCarthy is definitely poisonous now. But maybe it’s just that the film wasn’t too appealing for audiences. 

Widows made 11.7m FSS with a 91% RT score a much bigger release, big director and with Davis having a much stronger supporting cast.

That genre is really thought even with good reviews, with bad one Ben Affleck will do 10M in is complete domestic run at the same time that he is able to open The Accountant to 24M. I do not think there need to have a poison involved to explain such opening.

That said still ouch and McCarthy string of bad luck/bad result since Spy continue, will see with SuperIntelligence but that Kevin Hart like drawing power she had and able to open any comedy could have went away in large part (like it seem to have happened to Will Ferrell)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Porthos The same happened with Brie Larson's Unicorn Store, it was targeted by some incels, who weren't happy with her and it was the men that voted with too many 1 stars without even the movie yet coming out and of course there were some counter 10s. Imdb should do the same thing that RT did, with not being able to vote on a movie before it has been released, and they should really separate the voters into verified and unverified. 

The name of the lead star in Dora should give you an idea of who is downvoting/review bombing this movie. 

Edited by tawasal

8 minutes ago, tawasal said:

imdb should do the same thing that RT did, with not being able to vote on a movie before it has been released,

They do I think (at least claim too):

https://help.imdb.com/article/imdb/track-movies-tv/ratings-faq/G67Y87TFYYP6TWAV#accurate

Our standard for allowing users to vote on a movie is very simple: the movie must have been released and/or screened to the public at least once. If a movie meets this requirement, we let our registered users vote on it.

The Dora movie has been playing for a while to the public (at least since August 1), https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7547410/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ql_dt_2

Edited by Barnack

36 minutes ago, Barnack said:

They do I think (at least claim too):

https://help.imdb.com/article/imdb/track-movies-tv/ratings-faq/G67Y87TFYYP6TWAV#accurate

Our standard for allowing users to vote on a movie is very simple: the movie must have been released and/or screened to the public at least once. If a movie meets this requirement, we let our registered users vote on it.

The Dora movie has been playing for a while to the public (at least since August 1), https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7547410/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ql_dt_2

I have looked and there were a lot of US based voters in their ratings before friday. 

5 minutes ago, tawasal said:

I have looked and there were a lot of US based voters in their ratings before friday. 

Like they say:

A movie/show was never shown outside the USA and yet you show several ratings from non-US users. Clearly these are fake and should be removed?

Location information is based on the locale the user provided when they registered with the site, not when they voted. An example: if a Swiss national registers with IMDb and enters their location as Switzerland, then visits the United States and sees a movie at a festival while in the US and then votes for it, the vote will be recorded as coming from a non-US user.

Lot of claimed to be US do not reside in the USA, it could become quite complicated to have a system that really go country by country release date with a matching of the IP location and how much of those attack type of vote would simply occur the day of release of the movie instead of the week before ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Not bad numbers for early projections. The Kitchen though ouch... Melissa McCarthy is definitely poisonous now. But maybe it’s just that the film wasn’t too appealing for audiences. 

I think McCarthy is still crazy-talented and can kill it in the right role (case in point: that Oscar nomination for Can You Ever Forgive Me? last year), but many of her recent choices haven't been great, and I think that's set audiences to view her films with skepticism.

45 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Like they say:

A movie/show was never shown outside the USA and yet you show several ratings from non-US users. Clearly these are fake and should be removed?

Location information is based on the locale the user provided when they registered with the site, not when they voted. An example: if a Swiss national registers with IMDb and enters their location as Switzerland, then visits the United States and sees a movie at a festival while in the US and then votes for it, the vote will be recorded as coming from a non-US user.

Lot of claimed to be US do not reside in the USA, it could become quite complicated to have a system that really go country by country release date with a matching of the IP location and how much of those attack type of vote would simply occur the day of release of the movie instead of the week before ?

Thanks for the information. It's definitely a weird system.

Do they have something like RT's way of verifying if someone has seen the movie?