The Panda

BOT's Top Comic Book Movies of All Time! - WE’RE IN THE ENDGAME NOW

5 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

LMFAO.  And this is why MCU stans never win on these lists.  

:hahaha:

Let's all agree when the Top 100 Movies comes up in 20XX, we'll just put all the MCU movies in a random generator, and whichever one pops out, we stick to that as our #1.  Or we could just all rally around Dark World.  Such an underrated film.

Nah, give Thor: The Dark World some respect please. It was the only MCU movie that had its whole story summarised in Endgame.

Spoiler

as if the audience was not expected to remember its story. 🙁 (Seriously I like Thor:TDW a lot and it is in my top 20).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Enjoying it doesn't mean it deserves a place on this list. It's still one of the dumbest scripted films ever created. I enjoyed it by turning my brain off.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, justvision said:

Top 20 in my list for this poll.

:ohmygod:

6 minutes ago, justvision said:

I have a feeling that Thor TDW will rank higher than AM&tW in this poll. What say you?

Well neither made the top 50, but I guess we could ask Panda. This would be kind of depressing though.

36 minutes ago, tawasal said:

How is the MCU's top 30 comic book movies of all time going? 

If you can't wait for a top 30 MCU thing you'd have to add the graphic novels, TV-mini-series and TV series I guess. Or add the Marvel One-Shots,....

Or have to wait till 2022 (if they do not add some surprise release dates earlier, like maybe something FOX related or so)

;):P:D

• Haha 1

MdsHMSu.png

Oldboy (2003)

Directed by Park Chan-wook

Based on "Old Boy" by Garon Tsuchiya and Nobuaki Minegishi

(126 Points, 20 Votes)

oldboy___movie_poster_by_igorcampos_d8pf

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 2 Placements: 3

Top 4 Placements: 6

Top 6 Placements: 11

Top 10 Placements: 16

Awards Count: Ranked #66 of All-Time on IMDb's Top 250

Box Office: 0.7m (1m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 77

Synopsis: Abducted on a rainy night in 1988, the obnoxious drunk, Oh Dae-Su, much to his surprise, wakes up locked in a windowless and dilapidated hotel room, for an unknown reason. There, his invisible and pitiless captors will feed him, clothe him, and sedate him to avert a desperate suicide--and as his only companion and a window to the world is the TV in his stark cell--the only thing that helps Oh Dae-Su keep going is his daily journal. Then, unexpectedly, after fifteen long years in captivity, the perplexed prisoner is deliberately released, encouraged to track down his tormentor to finally get his retribution. However, who would hate Oh Dae-Su so much he would deny him of a quick and clean death?

Critic Opinion: ""Oldboy" is a South Korean revenge flick that transcends the genre. Both brutal and lyrical, writer-director Park Chan-wook's existential nail-biter has torture scenes that will have you avoiding dentists, sushi bars and badly appointed hotel rooms. Oh Dae-su (Choi Min-sik) is a drunk, a buffoon, but he toughens up after 15 years locked - for no apparent reason - in a mock hotel room. When he finally gets out - again, for no reason - he grabs at life with a gusto that involves a live octopus, a scene that is bound to cling with all tentacles to the pop-culture consciousness. He also embarks on a mission to find his captor and to punish, punish, punish. This hunt for revenge is really a quest for self-discovery. The story, acting and brilliant directing elevate "Oldboy" into a human struggle to know yourself and your place in the universe, and to live with that sometimes terrible knowledge." - Jami Bernard, New York Daily News

User Opinion: "Easily one of the best films of the 21st Century. And quite possibly the greatest revenge story every told on the big screen. A must see." - @Phil in the Blank

Commentary: Coming in at number 14 (and below 11-13 inferior films imo) is a film that I think would have ranked much higher, possibly even in the top 3, had more users simply have seen it or recognized that it was actually a comic book movie.  This isn't just from my person speculating, but looking at how the users who did see it placed it, the average user that ranked it placed it withing their Top 8, and only 4 of the voters for Oldboy didn't place it in their top 10.  Oldboy is masterful filmmaking, a violent and impeccably crafted tale of revenge, it also boasts a wonderful score.  It's a creative vision that defies the typical genre conventions, and hopefully more people give it a chance after seeing it ranked here.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (14), 100m (8), 200m (4), 300m (4), 400m (5)

Decade Count: 70s (1), 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (10), 10s (16)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Chan-Wook (1), Cronenberg (1), Donner (1), Gunn (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Nolan (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Parannaud (1), Radomski (1), Raimi (1), Rodriguez (1), Russo (1), Sandberg (1), Satrapi (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Waititi (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (8), Chris Evans (5), Batman (4), Spider-Man (4), Iron Man (3), X-Men (3), Captain America (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Superman (2), Black Panther (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Guardians of the Galaxy (1), Hulk (1), Men in Black (1), Thor (1)

ikUNXcW.png?1

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Critic Opinion: LIPSTICK & DYNAMITE At Angelika (1:23). Not rated: Adult themes. 3 STARS "Dynamite" perfectly describes this riveting documentary from Ruth Leitman, in which she revisits the still-gorgeous ladies of wrestling past. Leitman has done a fantastic job drawing out their individual stories. Each of her spirited subjects has a fascinating tale to tell, but nearly all involve hardscrabble upbringings built on physical abuse, poverty and extreme exploitation. At one point, gravel-voiced Ella Waldek describes her nemesis, Madame Moolah, as "a rough, tough broad."

:WHATanabe:

• Haha 1

LKi3CQ0.png

Wonder Woman (2017)

Directed by Patty Jenkins

Based on "Wonder Woman" by William Moulton Marston and H. G. Peter

(126 Points, 34 Votes)

lorenzo_wonder.jpg

"What I do is not up to you."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 2 Placements: 2

Top 4 Placements: 3

Top 6 Placements: 5

Top 10 Placements: 8

Awards Count: 1 PGA Nomination

Box Office: 412.6m (415.5m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 76

Synopsis: Diana, princess of the Amazons, trained to be an unconquerable warrior. Raised on a sheltered island paradise, when a pilot crashes on their shores and tells of a massive conflict raging in the outside world, Diana leaves her home, convinced she can stop the threat. Fighting alongside man in a war to end all wars, Diana will discover her full powers and her true destiny.

Critic Opinion: "In Wonder Woman’s reimagining of the princess myth, Diana, Princess of the Amazons, leaps through the air deflecting bullets with her bracelets. She enters a formal reception with a sword tucked into the back of her evening dress. But she differs from conventional princesses and superheroes in an even more pointed way – one that speaks to today’s fraught global politics. While Batman is motivated by vengeance for his parents’ deaths and Superman is dedicated to saving those in peril, Wonder Woman wants nothing less than world peace. All this in a crisply executed action movie with an engaging narrative, and, in Diana (Gal Gadot), as swift and strong a heroine as anyone could have wished for.  This is a film that radiates confidence and sangfroid Director Patty Jenkins, who led Charlize Theron to an Oscar in Monster, had a great responsibility here. She is one of the few women to direct a film with a budget of $100 million or more. And the character of Wonder Woman enters the almost exclusively male domain of DC comics movies, a franchise ravaged by disappointments like Batman v Superman. Under this pressure, Jenkins comes through with a work that radiates confidence and sangfroid." - Caryn James, The BBC

User Opinion: "It lived up to the hype. It was a little long and I can see some of the complaints people had (the slo mo overload was killing me), but it was so fucking good. Def a Top 5 comic book movie for me. The No Man's Land scene is up there with the airport scene in Civil War in terms of awesomeness. Going to see it again when I can. Strong 9/10. I was floored. " - @MrGamer

Commentary: The first female led and directed comic book film to be released.  Wonder Woman took Box Office Theory by storm through it's killer legs that led to it taking an unexpected win that Summer.  While in many ways, it may seem Wonder Woman borrows from some past comic book films, it includes the period elements of The First Avenger and the classic origin story set up from Superman, it set itself apart through how authentically it plays to the classic comic book vision.  Wonder Woman provides a classic story of hope, breaking from the DCEU mold at the time of the dark and grittiness, nor while really giving into the MCU formula.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (14), 100m (8), 200m (4), 300m (4), 400m (6)

Decade Count: 70s (1), 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (10), 10s (17)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Chan-Wook (1), Cronenberg (1), Donner (1), Gunn (1), Jenkins (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Nolan (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Parannaud (1), Radomski (1), Raimi (1), Rodriguez (1), Russo (1), Sandberg (1), Satrapi (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Waititi (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (8), Chris Evans (5), Batman (4), Spider-Man (4), Iron Man (3), X-Men (3), Captain America (2), DCEU (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Superman (2), Black Panther (1), Dredd (1), Guardians of the Galaxy (1), Hulk (1), Men in Black (1), Thor (1), Wonder Woman (1)

wonder-woman_0.jpg?itok=17t8iZeJ

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Great work so far @The Panda. I think this is the first countdown list of yours I am following very closely, even though I am disappointed and heart broken by the placing of most movies, this is one helluva fine structure to follow. And I love all the details you have put in each movie.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ANvilj9.png

Black Panther (2018)

Directed by Ryan Coogler

Based on "Black Panther" by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby

(134 Points, 32 Votes)

51mPvTTLDkL.jpg

"Just bury me in the ocean with my ancestors who jumped from ships, 'cause they knew death was better than bondage."

Number 2 Placements: 2

Top 4 Placements: 3

Top 6 Placements: 8

Top 10 Placements: 12

Awards Count: Won 3 Oscars, Nominated for Best Picture

Box Office: 700.1m (687.2m Adjusted lol)

Metacritic: 88

Synopsis: After the events of Captain America: Civil War, Prince T'Challa returns home to the reclusive, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to serve as his country's new king. However, T'Challa soon finds that he is challenged for the throne from factions within his own country. When two foes conspire to destroy Wakanda, the hero known as Black Panther must team up with C.I.A. agent Everett K. Ross and members of the Dora Milaje, Wakandan special forces, to prevent Wakanda from being dragged into a world war.

Critic Opinion: "Boseman brings a measure of sub-Shakespearean gravitas to T’Challa’s struggle to bear the weight of his crown, and Jordan radiates charisma to mould Killmonger into the most complex, nuanced and engaging baddie across the Marvel Universe. The script, co-written by director Ryan Coogler (Creed), seamlessly melds the deep stuff and the gags, while the plot is oddly hole-free and coherent.  Coogler has pulled off a demi-miracle here by making an aesthetically gorgeous and fun-laden film that has much to say about the plundering of African wealth and global racial oppression without straying into didacticism." - Matthew Norman, London Evening Standard

User Opinion: "MBJ da mvp. Love Coolio's opinions on most things but this is my favorite supporting role in a movie this size in like.....ten years. That last line for Jordan is unbelievable too. Get that Infinity Stone bullshit out of here. That's the kind of writing and bold choices we need more of. Sums up everything good about this movie.  Also this entire movie rocks outside of like 15 too many minutes of dumb slam bang fight scenes. But that's okay - most movies have like 30 minutes of dumb slam bang fight scenes. Also Martin Freeman's character was totally pointless and kinda weird that the CIA suddenly good?  But everything else, by far the best Marvel ever and one of the best blockbusters in years. " - @Cmasterclay

Commentary: The first ever comic book movie to be nominated for Best Picture, and for around a year the highest grossing comic book movie of all time domestically.  Black Panther is a powerhouse film that elevated the perception of what one of these MCU movies could be.  It took itself seriously, and while there were humorous moments, never felt like the one-liner comedy that became known as the staple for the MCU prior to this.  Black Panther was packed with an excellent supporting cast, arguably a supporting cast that was better than the protagonist of the film.  Black Panther was the closest thing to an auteur movie in the MCU, that and maybe Guardians 2.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (14), 100m (8), 200m (4), 300m (4), 400m (6), 700m (1)

Decade Count: 70s (1), 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (10), 10s (18)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Chan-Wook (1), Coogler (1), Cronenberg (1), Donner (1), Gunn (1), Jenkins (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Nolan (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Parannaud (1), Radomski (1), Raimi (1), Rodriguez (1), Russo (1), Sandberg (1), Satrapi (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Waititi (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (9), Chris Evans (5), Batman (4), Spider-Man (4), Iron Man (3), X-Men (3), Black Panther (2), Captain America (2), DCEU (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Superman (2), Dredd (1), Guardians of the Galaxy (1), Hulk (1), Men in Black (1), Thor (1), Wonder Woman (1)

bp-surreal-770x470.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

After Black Panther, there is a sizable jump in the point totals.  I feel like it's safe enough to go ahead and reveal the 51-100 portion of the list.

51.    Man of Steel 
52.    Kingsman: The Secret Service
53.    The Death of Stalin
54.    Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
55.    Kick-Ass 
56.    Avengers: Age of Ultron 
57.    Big Hero 6 
58.    Aquaman 
59.    X-Men (2000) 
60.    Batman (1966) 
61.    Doctor Strange
62.    300
63.    Ant-Man 
64.    Thor 
65.    The Mask
66.    Sin City 
67.    Edge of Tomorrow
68.    Blade 
69.    The Crow 
70.    The Rocketeer 
71.    Batman v Superman
72.    Josie and the Pussycats
73.    Only Yesterday
74.    The Incredible Hulk
75.    Hellboy 

76.    Mystery Men

76.    A Silent Voice
77.    The Adventures of Tintin
78.    Mystery Men
79.    Blade 2
80.    In This Corner of the World
81.    TMNT (1990)
82.    Ant-Man and the Wasp
83.    Porco Russo
84.    The Peanuts Movie
85.    Blue is the Warmest Color
86.    X-Men: Apocalypse
87.    Hulk (2003)
88.    Dragonball: Evolutions
89.    American Splendor
90.    Lady Snowblood
91.    Green Lantern
92.    We Are the Best!
93.    Howard the Duck
94.    Daredevil
95.    Spider-Man 3
96.    Teen Titans Go! To the Movies
97.    Electra
98.    Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders
99.    Dark Phoenix
100.    Red

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

TDW wasn't even top 100 😮     

Hulk over AM&tW is quite the travesty though.   

Looks like Batman begins made the elite 11 (and 6 MCUs, Logan, TDK, SM2, Spiderverse?), only one more place it can fit in for my prediction to TMP to come true :ph34r:

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Haha 3