Based on "Deadpool" by The Real Heroes

(75 Points, 21 Votes)

61qf-Jf52LL.jpg

"Time to make the chimi-fuckin'-changas."

Top 10 Placements: 5

Awards Count: Nominated for 2 Golden Globes

Box Office: 363.1m (381.1m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 65

Synopsis: This is the origin story of former Special Forces operative turned mercenary Wade Wilson, who after being subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, adopts the alter ego Deadpool. Armed with his new abilities and a dark, twisted sense of humor, Deadpool hunts down the man who nearly destroyed his life.

Critic Opinion: "Deadpool is subversive. It’s the first major comic book movie to venture this deep into satire and one of the rare ones to earn an R-rating. For those who feel superhero films have become stale and predictable, Deadpool provides as much of a shock to the system as the ice water bucket challenge. More often than not, fans have griped about the way bits and pieces of the Marvel pantheon were rented off to Sony and 20th Century Fox back in the 1990s. Fox, because of its incompetent handling of Fantastic Four, have earned the lion’s share of criticism. In the case of Deadpool, however, we can perhaps be thankful that the character falls under Fox’s umbrella. It would be hard to imagine the powers that be at Disney allowing this kind of flippant entry into their carefully constructed Marvel Cinematic Universe. Compared to Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy is a bastion of sobriety and good taste." - James Berardinelli, ReelViews

User Opinion: "The movie was awesome. Much fun and the humor was nonstop.   Not what I was expecting at all. The "Fox cant do shit" narrative just got kicked in the throat (again). 

I also like the narrative style. Reminds me of City of God (sooo good). Soundtrack was good, i loved the easter eggs, and the characters all had their own, unapologetic style. The opening credits were genius. Did a good job of getting you ready for what was to come." - @Jandrew

Commentary: Coming criminally low on the list is a movie that one could say is a perfect film.  Deadpool is an R-Rated comic book comedy that never overstays its welcome and leaves you thoroughly entertained throughout the entire film.  It's remarkable that this movie even got to be made, but the internet demanded that it be so, and so it was so.  This passion project by Reynolds showed there's more to the comic book audience than just films directed at families, and that there's a large market for adult oriented blockbusters.  Deadpool is a love story for the generations that rocked the Valentine's Day world!

Box Office Count: Under 100m (10), 100m (5), 200m (2), 300m (3), 400m (2)

Decade Count: 80s (3), 90s (2), 00s (6), 10s (10)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Burton (1), Cronenberg (1), Johnston (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Miller (1), Oshii (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Singer (1), Snyder (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (5), X-Men (3), Batman (2), Spider-Man (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Iron Man (2), Captain America (1), DCEU (1), Deadpool (1), Dredd (1), Superman (1)

deadpool.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

19 minutes ago, The Panda said:

W6hZpQ5.png

Batman (1989)

Directed by Tim Burton

Based on "Batman" by Bob Kane

(75 Points, 18 Votes)

vhl46qe5uyuy.jpg

"Batman... Batman... Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a *bat* gets all of my press? This town needs an enema!"

Top 4 Placements: 2

Top 6 Placements: 5

Top 10 Placements: 8

Awards Count: Won 1 Oscar

Box Office: 251.3m (567.2m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 69

Synopsis: Gotham City. Crime boss Carl Grissom (Jack Palance) effectively runs the town but there's a new crime fighter in town - Batman (Michael Keaton). Grissom's right-hand man is Jack Napier (Jack Nicholson), a brutal man who is not entirely sane... After falling out between the two Grissom has Napier set up with the Police and Napier falls to his apparent death in a vat of chemicals. However, he soon reappears as The Joker and starts a reign of terror in Gotham City. Meanwhile, reporter Vicki Vale (Kim Basinger) is in the city to do an article on Batman. She soon starts a relationship with Batman's everyday persona, billionaire Bruce Wayne.

Critic Opinion: "Jack Nicholson’s 1989 turn as The Joker in Batman (★★★★☆) provided an almighty bang to start what was to become a tetralogy of movies, all four being re-released to mark the Dark Knight’s 80th anniversary in DC Comics. This Joker is a purple-clad supervillain who upstages Michael Keaton’s diffident Batman with no difficulty and whose capering craziness is periodically supercharged by the sound of Prince on the soundtrack. Directed by Tim Burton, the movie has a brooding noir feel. It even showed prostitution on the streets of Gotham City. The Joker is given an origin myth; Jack Napier (the JN initials leaning heavily on Nicholson’s own legendary bad-boy status) is a mobster and former street hoodlum with a fateful connection to the young Bruce Wayne. When he accidentally falls into a chemical vat during a shootout in a pharmaceutical factory, the fumes cause his face to contract into that hideous grin. A bad-guy barmstormer from Jack." - Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian

User Opinion: "I still remember the whole experience when I saw this film, from the extremely long line and a whole story with that, the heat while waiting in the line, able to buy movie merchandise in the theater. yes I was able to buy a tshirt and a water bottle at the concession stand. The whole lead up, the Prince tie-in, etc, etc. It was truly a movie moment. Luckily for me, the movie did live up to the hype at the time. While the movie may have dipped a bit as I grew up, I can't necessarily remove everything that went along with it so it still give it a high mark.  Maybe the 2nd best Batman movie for me" - @75Live

Commentary: Making his first live action appearance on the countdown, and the start of the Top 30, is one of the superheroes who truly started the craze, Batman.  While Superman may have preceded Batman, this was the film that really took off at the box office and showed there was a lot of money high blockbuster potential in these films.  Tim Burton captures the brooding feel of the Batman comics, and in a world that can often feel dark, maybe that's why Batman's vigilante take has always resonated with audiences a bit more than the hopeful Superman.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (10), 100m (5), 200m (2), 300m (2), 400m (2)

Decade Count: 80s (3), 90s (2), 00s (6), 10s (9)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Burton (1), Cronenberg (1), Johnston (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Oshii (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Singer (1), Snyder (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (5), Batman (2), Spider-Man (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Iron Man (2), X-Men (2), Captain America (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Superman (1)

Batman-1989-0422.jpg

G.O.A.T

• Like 4

Just now, The Panda said:

WqTn0LV.png

Deadpool (2016)

Directed by Some Overpaid Asshole

Based on "Deadpool" by The Real Heroes

(75 Points, 21 Votes)

61qf-Jf52LL.jpg

"Time to make the chimi-fuckin'-changas."

Top 10 Placements: 5

Awards Count: Nominated for 2 Golden Globes

Box Office: 363.1m (381.1m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 65

Synopsis: This is the origin story of former Special Forces operative turned mercenary Wade Wilson, who after being subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, adopts the alter ego Deadpool. Armed with his new abilities and a dark, twisted sense of humor, Deadpool hunts down the man who nearly destroyed his life.

Critic Opinion: "Deadpool is subversive. It’s the first major comic book movie to venture this deep into satire and one of the rare ones to earn an R-rating. For those who feel superhero films have become stale and predictable, Deadpool provides as much of a shock to the system as the ice water bucket challenge. More often than not, fans have griped about the way bits and pieces of the Marvel pantheon were rented off to Sony and 20th Century Fox back in the 1990s. Fox, because of its incompetent handling of Fantastic Four, have earned the lion’s share of criticism. In the case of Deadpool, however, we can perhaps be thankful that the character falls under Fox’s umbrella. It would be hard to imagine the powers that be at Disney allowing this kind of flippant entry into their carefully constructed Marvel Cinematic Universe. Compared to Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy is a bastion of sobriety and good taste." - James Berardinelli, ReelViews

User Opinion: "The movie was awesome. Much fun and the humor was nonstop.   Not what I was expecting at all. The "Fox cant do shit" narrative just got kicked in the throat (again). 

I also like the narrative style. Reminds me of City of God (sooo good). Soundtrack was good, i loved the easter eggs, and the characters all had their own, unapologetic style. The opening credits were genius. Did a good job of getting you ready for what was to come." - @Jandrew

Commentary: Coming criminally low on the list is a movie that one could say is a perfect film.  Deadpool is an R-Rated comic book comedy that never overstays its welcome and leaves you thoroughly entertained throughout the entire film.  It's remarkable that this movie even got to be made, but the internet demanded that it be so, and so it was so.  This passion project by Reynolds showed there's more to the comic book audience than just films directed at families, and that there's a large market for adult oriented blockbusters.  Deadpool is a love story for the generations that rocked the Valentine's Day world!

Box Office Count: Under 100m (10), 100m (5), 200m (2), 300m (3), 400m (2)

Decade Count: 80s (3), 90s (2), 00s (6), 10s (10)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Burton (1), Cronenberg (1), Johnston (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Miller (1), Oshii (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Singer (1), Snyder (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (5), X-Men (3), Batman (2), Spider-Man (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Iron Man (2), Captain America (1), DCEU (1), Deadpool (1), Dredd (1), Superman (1)

deadpool.jpg

Another one I'd have put in the Top 10 (maybe I like funny supers over the really deep, dark ones:)...too low, but glad to see it make the top 30...

PS - I think the only dark-ish supers in my top 10 would be The Dark Knight and Avengers: Infinity War (Endgame would not make my Top 10), so maybe our forums choices are a little more somber and darker than mine (I mean, the comics I grew up on were my parents' pristine 50s and 60s DC comics...and those were anything but sad or serious...and now I read Amazing Spider Man, Squirrel Girl, and Nightwing as my top 3 pulls...so I don't read the deepest ones now, either:)...

Panda, the Purple Main isn't for you -- it's for everyone else.

C'mon!  1989 is EASILY TOP TEN.  Brilliant mix of wit and mood.  Keaton's AMAZING.  Nicholson EATS every celluloid of that screen.  PRINCE is the gosh darn soundtrack!  Elfman's SCORE should be enough for a Top Ten Ranking.  The Batmobile!! 

sad ben affleck GIF

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, baumer said:

Yeah Deadpool is way way way too low.

yeah i'm starting to think it's going to almost be all MCU movies from here on out except for a few outliers 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 75Live said:

surprised to see Batman so low too.  I get it may not hold up to some people but still surprised it barely made the top 30 like this

I bet a lot of people have not seen Batman 89.

(myself included)

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I bet a lot of people have not seen Batman 89.

(myself included)

via GIPHY

😛

yeah I can see how that would be a hindrance for the movie.  I guess I still underestimate about how young some people here are.... or had no interest in the movie

Edited by 75Live
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, 75Live said:

via GIPHY

😛

yeah I can see how that would be a hindrance for the movie.  I guess I still underestimate about how young some people here are.... or had no interest in the movie

Just young.

Any film that didn't release in most users life time is gonna struggle, that's the case with any BOT list which can include modern films.

To recap, the countdown so far

50) The Wind Rises (2013)
49) Ghost World (2001)
48) Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)
47) Captain Marvel (2019)
46) Iron Man 3 (2013)
45) Ghost in the Shell (1995)
44) Speed Racer (2008)
43) Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
42) Alita: Battle Angel (2019)
41) Shazam! (2019)
40) X-Men: First Class (2011)
39) Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
38) Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
37) Dredd (2012)
36) Superman II (1980)
35) A History of Violence (2005)
34) Watchmen (2009)
33) Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
32) V for Vendetta (2006)
31) X2: X-Men United (2003)
30) Batman (1989)
29) Deadpool (2016)
28)
27)
26)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 75Live said:

yeah i'm starting to think it's going to almost be all MCU movies from here on out except for a few outliers 

There have already been 5  MCU listed.  There are at least 5 that I can't see making it near this list and probably a couple of others.  I think there will be 10 of 28 left.    There's definitely still more graphic novel adaptations,  Ghibli, Nolan, and at least one Fox Men and 2-3 from the DCEU.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

There are at least 5 that I can't see making it near this list and probably a couple of others.

How dare you disrespect Thor: The Dark World like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2019 at 6:08 AM, The Panda said:

Iron Man 3 (2013)

Directed by Shane Black

Based on "Iron Man" by Stan Lee

(39 Points, 16 Votes)

71aYephNm9L._SY606_.jpg

"Bloody hell. Bloody hell."

Top 10 Placements: 1

That "1" is from me. I am proud to be that "1" to put this under-appreciated gem in top 10.

Edited by justvision
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

There have already been 5  MCU listed.  There are at least 5 that I can't see making it near this list and probably a couple of others.  I think there will be 10 of 28 left.    There's definitely still more graphic novel adaptations,  Ghibli, Nolan, and at least one Fox Men and 2-3 from the DCEU.

I dunno about Ghibli, but I'm holding out hope for another anime.