Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 2 Placements: 3

Top 4 Placements: 5

Top 6 Placements: 7

Top 10 Placements: 9

Awards Count: Ranked #243 of All Time on IMDb

Box Office: 0.44m (0.94m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 88% (7.56 Avg Rating)

Synopsis: Kaneda is a bike gang leader whose close friend Tetsuo gets involved in a government secret project known as Akira. On his way to save Tetsuo, Kaneda runs into a group of anti-government activists, greedy politicians, irresponsible scientists and a powerful military leader. The confrontation sparks off Tetsuo's supernatural power leading to bloody death, a coup attempt and the final battle in Tokyo Olympiad where Akira's secrets were buried 30 years ago.

Critic Opinion: "There are certain science-fiction films, such as Blade Runner and Kubrick's 2001, that are so well realised that they can influence the genre for decades to come. Now Akira has been around for some 23 years (and is due for a Hollywood remake), we have seen how long a shadow it has cast not only over science fiction but also animation, it sits comfortably alongside those other lauded titles. Another thing it shares with them is how it always offers up something new or missed with every viewing. The plot, straightforward to some, impenetrable to others, concerns a futuristic neo-Tokyo biker gang whose lives are impacted on after an accidental collision with a secret government-run project dealing with telekinetic powers in children. Style and substance run neck and neck in this thrilling, bold landmark film that just refuses to become dated." - Phelim O'Neil, The Guardian

User Opinion: "Not only is the art direction amazing, the character animation is superb. A lot of the animators on this movie also worked on studio Ghibli's films, but they never did something like this.  Otomo recorded the voices before the animation, which is rare for Japanese productions.  I'm not an expert, but I can tell that there is an extra level of craft here. This is Disney-quality character animation.  Additionally, it's some of the best voice acting I've ever heard." - @cannastop

Commentary: Starting off the upper half of the list is another manga adaption, that's partially tied to Studio Ghibli, but not really.  Akira is a masterful animation that takes place in a futuristic Tokyo.  The film is full of detailed, hand-drawn animation and strong technical craft.  The film's visual flair soaks you into the universe it creates and it crafts a fully realized world.  This movie is dense, packed and has found a lot of love from the users here that voted for it.  While it only got 13 votes, only four of the users who voted for it didn't place it in their top ten.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (12), 100m (6), 200m (2), 300m (2), 400m (2)

Decade Count: 80s (4), 90s (2), 00s (7), 10s (11)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Burton (1), Cronenberg (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Singer (1), Snyder (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (5), Chris Evans (3), Batman (2), Spider-Man (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Iron Man (2), X-Men (2), Captain America (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Superman (1)

7b7612910d7a8094b0f440ed7251df86.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

29 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Awards Count: Ranked #243 of All Time on IMDb

:ohmygod:

User Opinion: "Not only is the art direction amazing, the character animation is superb. A lot of the animators on this movie also worked on studio Ghibli's films, but they never did something like this.  Otomo recorded the voices before the animation, which is rare for Japanese productions.  I'm not an expert, but I can tell that there is an extra level of craft here. This is Disney-quality character animation.  Additionally, it's some of the best voice acting I've ever heard." - @cannastop

:jeb!:

Starting off the upper half of the list is another manga adaption, that's partially tied to Studio Ghibli, but not really. 

Trying to think of the best comparison in American animation to the same animators who worked on this and Studio Ghibli. Hmm. Kitaro Kosaka and Makiko Futaki and many others were animators for Akira and for Ghibli movies. Tony Fucile and Victoria Jenson were major artists on Ferngully, but that's not a WDAS, Pixar, or Dreamworks movie.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Empire said:

Top 3 will be:

1. Dark Knight

2. Winter Soldier 

3. Spider-Verse

I will totally accept that

*starts humming man of la mancha*

• Like 1

s8vRC0P.png

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (2017)

Directed by James Gunn

Based on "Guardians of the Galaxy" by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning

(85 Points, 29 Votes)

818NtgncwLL._SY606_.jpg

"I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"

Top 6 Placements: 2

Top 10 Placements: 5

Awards Count: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Box Office: 389.8m (392.4m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 67

Synopsis: After saving Xandar from Ronan's wrath, the Guardians are now recognized as heroes. Now the team must help their leader Star Lord (Chris Pratt) uncover the truth behind his true heritage. Along the way, old foes turn to allies and betrayal is blooming. And the Guardians find that they are up against a devastating new menace who is out to rule the galaxy.

Critic Opinion: "While Marvel metastasizes as a movie brand, the irreverent Guardians of the Galaxy franchise has become a healthy off-shoot. There’s something loose-limbed and unexpected about this series, as if we gathered the zany aliens of other galaxies, Quark from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Paul‘s titular stoner slacker, Vincent D’Onofrio’s Edgar in Men in Black, Londo Mollari from Babylon Five or Star Trek‘s Harry Mudd. Varsity players Captain Fantastic and Thor take your shield and your hammer and your solemn superhero powers and play nicely elsewhere. We’re going to stay here and groove to the oldies." - Thelma Adams, The Observer

User Opinion: "When I left the theater a week ago I left feeling that this one was just as good as the first one but a week later I'm actually starting to think it's even better than the first one. I really loved this one, it struck a chord or two with me. It wasn't just a fun ride with great characters but it also felt like an emotional one to me and, perhaps in part for some personal reasons, it just really worked for me.  It really felt like the director's movie as well, which is nice and rare considering the franchise." - @Arlborn

Commentary: One of the quirkiest films of the MCU, and a sequel that cements its personality arguably even stronger than its predecessor, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 makes the list.  Vol 2 takes the ensemble and soundtrack that made the first film work and amps it up.  Further, Guardians manages to make a smaller scale film than the original, focusing more on the internal relationships between the characters, rather than galaxy saving shenanigans.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (12), 100m (6), 200m (2), 300m (3), 400m (2)

Decade Count: 80s (4), 90s (2), 00s (7), 10s (12)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Burton (1), Cronenberg (1), Gunn (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Singer (1), Snyder (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (6), Chris Evans (3), Batman (2), Spider-Man (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Iron Man (2), X-Men (2), Captain America (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Guardians of the Galaxy (1), Superman (1)

D-L2jlnXsAAbrgK.jpg

• Like 19

13 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

After all the hype for Akira by certain people I was definitely underwhelmed by it a bit in the end.

yeah I can see that. I watched it again for the first time in a while the other day and visually it's still absolutely amazing.  Story wise not so much, which is why I didn't have it really high 

• Like 2