The Panda

BOT's Top Comic Book Movies of All Time! - WE’RE IN THE ENDGAME NOW

28 minutes ago, The Panda said:

User Opinion: "When I left the theater a week ago I left feeling that this one was just as good as the first one but a week later I'm actually starting to think it's even better than the first one. I really loved this one, it struck a chord or two with me. It wasn't just a fun ride with great characters but it also felt like an emotional one to me and, perhaps in part for some personal reasons, it just really worked for me.  It really felt like the director's movie as well, which is nice and rare considering the franchise." - @Arlborn

Great list so far, but seeing Arlborn's name here really stings. I wonder whatever happened to him?

• Like 3

Fjn9sRB.png

Batman Returns (1992)

Directed by Tim Burton

Based on "Batman" by Bob Kane

(88 Points, 19 Votes)

2gioffpjxn9z.jpg

"You poor guys. Always confusing your pistols with your privates."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 2 Placements: 2

Top 4 Placements: 4

Top 6 Placements: 5

Awards Count: Nominated for 2 Oscars

Box Office: 162.8m (353.5m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 68

Synopsis: In the sewers of gotham city to the rooftops of the gotham city the penguin wants to know where he came from well in his villain ways catwoman plans to kill rich man of gotham max shreak but as he battles with millionaire Bruce Wayne both ladies men have their own secrets Bruce Wayne is back as Bat man trying to stop the penguin Max is helping penguin steal gotham city while selina Kyle/catwoman tries to help penguin not knowing her man murder target also her murder is helping him but all four men have their goals taking gotham from crime winning gotham city assassination for two men and more money to be gotham citys number one rich man.

Critic Opinion: "f " Batman" was the darkest, weirdest, most unlikely blockbuster ($410 million worldwide) to slip out of the Hollywood corporate system, wait till you get a load of Batman Returns. This darker, weirder sequel is easy to find fault with--seamless storytelling has never been Tim Burton's thing. But I wouldn't trade 10 minutes of it for "Lethal Weapon 3...... Alien 3" and "Far and Away" put together. Burton couldn't play it safe if he wanted to, and he doesn't want to. Entrusted with one of the most valuable franchises in movie history (the merchandising of " Batman" brought in more than $500 million), he's made a moody, grotesque, perversely funny $50 million art film. But like every other Burton oddity, from " Pee-wee's Big Adventure" to "Beetlejuice" to "Edward Scissorhands," it will probably be a big hit. Something about the filmmaker's eccentric, surreal, childlike images seems to strike a deep chord in the mass psyche: he makes nightmares that taste like candy." - David Ansen, Newsweek

User Opinion: "BR may not be the greatest Batman movie (though it's just as valid as any other interpretation of the character) but it's the most weird, fucked up, surreal, nightmarish, sexy, psychological, dark, disturbing and sad fairytale movie ever released as a summer family blockbuster. And for that I love it." - @Darth Homer

Commentary: After the major blockbuster smash of Tim Burton's Batman, Burton steps it up a notch in all things weird and releases this audacious sequel.  Beloved by many and hated nearly just as many, Batman Returns presents a distinct vision from Burton in his prime.  The film is almost as much nightmare as it is comic book film.  Batman Returns was a major risk for a comic book sequel in its day, and in many ways that risk was walked back in the follow-up Batman films.  You wouldn't see a case like Batman Returns today, in which a director makes a mostly conventional blockbuster smash hit and then is allowed to follow it up with auteur vision going in a completely different direction.  Perhaps the closest comparison of Batman to Batman Returns is the Force Awakens to the Last Jedi?  But even that may not do it justice.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (12), 100m (7), 200m (2), 300m (3), 400m (2)

Decade Count: 80s (4), 90s (3), 00s (7), 10s (12)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Cronenberg (1), Gunn (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Singer (1), Snyder (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (6), Chris Evans (3), Batman (3), Spider-Man (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Iron Man (2), X-Men (2), Captain America (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Guardians of the Galaxy (1), Superman (1)

D5hz-LpWAAAzOQ6.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

BelatedDapperFinch-size_restricted.gif

kGdYV2j.png

Venom (2018)

Directed by Ruben Fleischer

Based on "Venom" by David Michelinie and Todd McFarlane

(89 Point, 15 Votes)

Venom.png

"Eyes, lungs, pancreas. So many snacks, so little time."

Number 1 Placements: 2

Top 2 Placements: 3

Top 4 Placements: 6

Top 10 Placements: 7

Awards Count: 1 VES Nomination

Box Office: 213.5m

Metacritic: 35

Synopsis: After a faulty interview with the Life Foundation ruins his career, former reporter Eddie Brock's life is in pieces. Six months later, he comes across the Life Foundation again, and he comes into contact with an alien symbiote and becomes Venom, a parasitic antihero.

Critic Opinion: "

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 4
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

23. Twenty. Three. Y’all ranked Michelle Pfeiffer As Catwoman at twenty three. 

:apocalypse:

She's #1.  But Batman interfering in her trying to kill her own murderer makes it non contender for me. 😛

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Sad 1

Good thing I caught myself!  Turns out Venom was 22 after all, it only had one point...  I wonder how that happened?

SgifHhD.png

Men in Black (1997)

Directed by Barry Sonnenfield

Based on "The Men in Black" by Lowell Cunningham

(89 Points, 25 Votes)

2b30ee44b1527a3531288d605b161e2b.jpg

"No, Elvis is not dead. He just went home."

Top 4 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 3

Awards Count: Won 1 Oscar

Box Office: 250.7m 

Metacritic: 71

Synopsis: Based off of the comic book. Unbeknownst to other people, there is a private agency code named MiB. This agency is some kind of extra terrestrial surveillance corporation. Then, one of the agency's finest men only going by the name "K" (Tommy Lee Jones) , is recruiting for a new addition to the agency. He has chosen James Edwards (Will Smith) of the N.Y.P.D. Then, one day, a flying saucer crashes into Earth. This was an alien a part of the "Bug" race. He takes the body of a farmer (Vincent D'Onofrio) and heads to New York. He is searching for a super energy source called "The Galaxy". Now, Agents J and K must stop the bug before it can escape with the galaxy.

Critic Opinion: "Word-of-mouth will be monstrous based on the universally accessible performances by leads Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith and the excellent special effects. Executive produced by Steven Spielberg and directed by Barry Sonnenfeld (The Addams Family films, Get Shorty), the Amblin Entertainment production is a "Bugbusters" with mainstream appeal and should have paranormally endowed legs to finish as one of the year's top domestic and international moneymakers.  A terrifically entertaining combination of alien conspiracy fears played for laughs and French Connection-meets-Ghostbusters thrills, with a stellar screenplay by Ed Solomon (the Bill and Ted films, the upcoming X-Men), Men in Black is so much fun one is actually mildly disappointed when it ends after an economically short 98 minutes." - David Hunter, The Hollywood Reporter

User Opinion: "Actually perfect." - @ddddeeee

Commentary: Actually coming in at Number 22 is a kind of superhero but not really, comic book adaption that really should have stopped with the first movie.  Men in Black is a blast, with two charming leads, a golden premise and a screenplay full of wit.  This is a movie that carries over time, as the setpieces and the visual effects aren't the driving force behind what makes this movie resonate with audience.  Men in Black is a pitch perfect comedy with Will Smith in his prime.  It's a shame the sequels to this franchise never managed to capture the same magic that drove the first.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (12), 100m (7), 200m (3), 300m (3), 400m (2)

Decade Count: 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (7), 10s (12)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Cronenberg (1), Gunn (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Singer (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (6), Chris Evans (3), Batman (3), Spider-Man (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Iron Man (2), X-Men (2), Captain America (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Guardians of the Galaxy (1), Men in Black (1), Superman (1)

gn-gift_guide_variable_c.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

h8QOW8U.png

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

Directed by Bryan Singer

Based on "Uncanny X-Men" by Chris Claremont and John Byrne

(94 Points, 29 Votes)

x-men-days-of-future-past-poster.jpg

"I'm gonna say to you what you said to us then: fuck off!"

Top 6 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 3

Awards Count: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Box Office: 233.9m (253.5m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 75

Synopsis: In the future, the mutants and the humans who help them are slaughtered by powerful robots named Sentinels. Professor Xavier, Wolverine, Magneto, Storm, Kitty Pryde, and her friends meet at a monastery in China and Xavier explains that the invincible Sentinels were created using the DNA of Mystique that was captured in 1973 when she tried to assassinate their creator Dr. Bolivar Trask. Xavier tells that their only chance is return to 1973 using Pryde's ability to join Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr to convince Mystique to give up her intention. However, only Wolverine can withstand the damages of the time travel. Will he succeed in stopping Mystique and the Sentinel Program, and save the mutants and their human friends from annihilation?

Critic Opinion: "Not being a comic-book aficionado, these movie adaptations don’t really matter to me. They provide no nostalgic allure. They are, to borrow one of my kid’s favorite phrases, not my favorite. And truly, such massive superhero fatigue has set in by now between all the various Batman and Superman and Avengers movies that the prospect of spending two-plus hours with these mutants inspired a shrug and a bit of dread.  All of which is why “X-Men: Days of Future Past” is such a wonderful surprise. Actually, it’s more than that: It’s a kick in the ass. Director Bryan Singer returns to the series he launched with 2000’s “X-Men” and 2003’s “X2: X-Men United” with a sure hand on both the relationships between his characters and the enormous set pieces you’d expect from a summer blockbuster. The results are both dazzling and intimate, clever and — during one tour-de-force sequence — spectacularly funny." - Christy Lemire

User Opinion: "easily the best superhero movie of the year and also the first X-Men movie I have really liked. I though X1 and 2 were decent but nothing special and the rest all mediocre and forgettable but this just had me gripped from beginning to end.  Felt kind of like a superhero version of Terminator. I can't wait for the next one." - @John Marston

Commentary: X-Men pops back up onto the list with a film that crossed over the rebooted 'young' universe and the universe from the original films.  This generational saga film felt both epic and like a proper conclusion to the X-Men saga (with Logan serving as a nice epilogue).  Because honestly, the original three films, the Wolverine, this and then Logan all combine to make a solid franchise, there's no need to acknowledge those other downers!  Days of Future Past manages to both be weighty and emotional in its stakes, while also serving up quite a few laughs.  A refreshing culmination of the X-Men movies.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (12), 100m (7), 200m (4), 300m (3), 400m (2)

Decade Count: 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (7), 10s (13)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Cronenberg (1), Gunn (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (6), Chris Evans (3), Batman (3), X-Men (3), Spider-Man (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Iron Man (2), Captain America (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Guardians of the Galaxy (1), Men in Black (1), Superman (1)

x-men-days-of-future-past-james-mcavoy-s

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Tom Hardy may not have gotten in with Venom, but here he is now!

b7KyRNi.png

The Dark Knight Rises

Directed by Christopher Nolan

Based on "The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller

(95 Points, 25 Votes)

the-dark-knight-rises-imax-poster.jpeg

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear."

Number 2 Placements: 1

Top 4 Placements: 5

Top 10 Placements: 8

Awards Count: Nominated for 1 BAFTA

Box Office: 448.1m (518.8m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 78

Synopsis: Despite his tarnished reputation after the events of The Dark Knight (2008), in which he took the rap for Dent's crimes, Batman feels compelled to intervene to assist the city and its Police force, which is struggling to cope with Bane's plans to destroy the city.

Critic Opinion: "Nolan's nihilistic script, which he co-wrote with his brother Jonathan, seems to answer those questions with cannon fire. Batman has the baddest toys, if not the best argument. The finale of the film, with wealthy do-gooder Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard) caught in the crossfire, gives us one astonishing image after another.  We can mail this movie several Oscars for technical excellence, and already there's a stealth campaign to crown it with the ultimate honor. But while the film will lure a lucrative demographic into the scared cave of cinema, the effect is more experiential than emotional.  Nolan, like Bane, believes we want cool chaos as much as we want a warm-blooded hero. “The Dark Knight Rises” is an argument that's hard to refute." - Joe Williams, St Louis Post

User Opinion: "One of my top favorite movies of 2012, I really liked this movie just as much as I really liked The Dark Knight. The things I liked the most about this movie:the acting was good, the villains were really good Bane and Al Ghul's daughter, Anne Hathaway in leather, the soundtrack was also good, and there are some memorable scenes of destruction including the football stadium scene and the reason why Bane blew it up in the first place. Overall as Batman may not be over just yet but as for the Christian Bale Batman it was a satisfying way to end the Christopher Nolan/Christian Bale Batman trilogy Grade:A" - @Maxmoser3

Commentary: Fun fact, The Dark Knight Rises by far has the most pages of any movie in the RTM thread.  Some are probably going to think this is way to low on the list for this movie and others are going to be baffled how it even made it.  The Dark Knight Rises shows Nolan taking on some more of the comic book roots of Batman, and going full spectacle and crazy with it in a way he hadn't done with the previous two Batman flicks.  While this movie has gotten a fair bit of detractors, The Dark Knight Rises still receives consistent love in this forum, two times being voted as the best film of 2012, all to the power of Nolan.  Hail Nolan!

Box Office Count: Under 100m (12), 100m (7), 200m (4), 300m (3), 400m (3)

Decade Count: 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (7), 10s (14)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Cronenberg (1), Gunn (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Nolan (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (6), Batman (4), Chris Evans (3), X-Men (3), Spider-Man (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Iron Man (2), Captain America (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Guardians of the Galaxy (1), Men in Black (1), Superman (1)

76f65159df7e43cad73c997fbea390d6.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

11 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hey it's the MCU's world now. Art like that has no place in it

You and I are gonna have the best time when I do the Top 50 Musicals. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

aSohK9U.png

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Directed by the Russo Brothers

Based on "Civil War" by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven

(101 Points, 24 Votes)

captain_america__civil_war_fan_made_post

"That thing doesn't obey the laws of physics at all!"

Number 2 Placements: 2

Top 4 Placements: 4

Top 6 Placements: 5

Top 10 Placements: 8

Awards Count: 1 SAG Nomination

Box Office: 408.1m (421.3m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 75

Synopsis: With many people fearing the actions of super heroes, the government decides to push for the Hero Registration Act, a law that limits a hero's actions. This results in a division in The Avengers. Iron Man stands with this Act, claiming that their actions must be kept in check otherwise cities will continue to be destroyed, but Captain America feels that saving the world is daring enough and that they cannot rely on the government to protect the world. This escalates into an all-out war between Team Iron Man (Iron Man, Black Panther, Vision, Black Widow, War Machine, and Spider-Man) and Team Captain America (Captain America, Bucky Barnes, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, and Ant Man) while a new villain emerges.

Critic Opinion: "These days, that challenge looks rudimentary. A year ago, Whedon’s The Avengers: Age of Ultron found space to squeeze in three more heroes and a brand-new super-villain, along with another half-dozen characters from the ever-expanding Marvel universe. And now, in Captain America: Civil War—which serves in many respects as a third Avengers movie—we have fully a dozen heroes divvied up into two competing super-teams. At this rate, pretty soon Marvel Studios honcho Kevin Feige will have to rent out a stadium just to accommodate his lycra-clad swarms.  Directed by the brothers Joe and Anthony Russo, Civil War is technically a follow-up to their superlative Captain America: Winter Soldier from 2014. But given the ongoing interweavings of the Marvel Cinematic Universe—this movie also integrates last year’s Ant-Man, and serves as a setup for future films with Black Panther and a newly introduced Spider-Man (thank you, Sony!)—such details are becoming incidental. In any case, here, as in Winter Soldier, the Russos have achieved an uncommon balance of plot and action, humor and drama, all of it once again deeply grounded in character." - Christopher Orr, The Atlantic

User Opinion: "I really appreciated how Marvel managed to make both Cap and Tony's arguments and cases good enough that I could understand where both heroes coming from. The action was also great, and I really appreciated that they managed to juggle so many characters in one film, without really feeling overcrowded.  Some scenes really left me in awe and amazement too. Seeing Giant-Man appear for the first time, and Black Panther and Spider-Man's introduction sequence, were just amazing, and while Baron Zemo felt like he was a bit of a throwaway villain until the end, I actually found his character sympathetic, and he's one of Marvel's better antagonists." - @Fancyarcher

Commentary: Coming in right above the Dark Knight Rises is another film that often takes some flack, while being highly praised by other corners of this forum.  I'll say, Civil War is probably my least favorite film in the entire MCU and I don't entirely understand the love behind it.  However, Civil War takes a risk at turning the protagonists against each others and giving more Avengers drama than the Avengers movie that preceded it.  This is also a crucial film plot wise for the Phase 3 arc of the Avengers, as it introduces both Tom Holland's Spider-Man and Black Panther, and it also does some heavy lifting to set the stage of a disassembled Avengers unprepared for when Thanos comes to take his due in Infinity War.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (12), 100m (7), 200m (4), 300m (3), 400m (4)

Decade Count: 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (7), 10s (15)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Cronenberg (1), Gunn (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Nolan (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Russo (1), Sandberg (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (7), Batman (4), Chris Evans (4), Iron Man (3), X-Men (3), Spider-Man (3), Captain America (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Black Panther (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Guardians of the Galaxy (1), Men in Black (1), Superman (1)

captain-america-civil-war-5-71feefe1b1c5

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1