The Panda

BOT's Top Comic Book Movies of All Time! - WE’RE IN THE ENDGAME NOW

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

Even by RT standard, Iron Man was more acclaimed than those.  And I am trying to not re-use critics, and I liked his excerpt 🤷‍♂️

Not really

Iron Man -  93%

Average Rating: 7.71/10

Total Count: 276

Fresh: 258

Rotten: 18

Top Critics: 89%

Average Rating: 7.41/10

Total Count: 56

Fresh: 50

Rotten: 6

Avengers:  92%

Average Rating: 8.06/10

Total Count: 346

Fresh: 319

Rotten: 27

Top Critics: 84%

Average Rating: 7.61/10

Total Count: 55

Fresh: 46

Rotten: 9

CIVIL WAR - 91%

Total Count: 394

Fresh: 358

Rotten: 36

Top Critics : 92%

Average Rating: 7.39/10

Total Count: 60

Fresh: 55

Rotten: 5

etc

• Like 2

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Panda didn't rule it ineligible but it was based on a novella.  The manga came out when the movie did.

I am sorry that's some BS by Panda. After 5 different people said it was ineligible I assumed that Panda had adopted that, and I never saw a post leaving it to the contrary.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I am sorry that's some BS by Panda. After 5 different people said it was ineligible I assumed that Panda had adopted that, and I never saw a post leaving it to the contrary.

I dunno, maybe this is kind of like how Grim didn't confirm or deny if Princess Mononoke could be on multiple year lists or not.

• Like 1

2jm8zfZ.png

Marvel's The Avengers (2012)

Directed by Joss Whedon

Based on "The Avengers" by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby

(184 Points, 39 Votes)

The-Avengers-by-Matt-Ferguson-Variant-Ed

"Puny god."

Number 1 Placements: 2

Top 2 Placements: 3

Top 4 Placements: 6

Top 6 Placements: 9

Top 10 Placements: 18

Awards Count: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Box Office: 623.4m (692.7m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 69

Synopsis: Nick Fury is the director of S.H.I.E.L.D., an international peace-keeping agency. The agency is a who's who of Marvel Super Heroes, with Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow. When global security is threatened by Loki and his cohorts, Nick Fury and his team will need all their powers to save the world from disaster which is formed by Loki and his team

Critic Opinion: "As such, it has no right to be this good. A 3-D movie featuring not one, not two, but six brilliant and/or ludicrously muscled protagonists fighting to defend Planet Earth from a Nordic god in a snit has no right to be anything but confusing, ridiculous and generally devoid of simple human affect. And yet it's none of those things.  Instead, Joss Whedon's delicious ode to the Marvel universe boasts clarity, conviction and characters who live and breathe. There are moments of genuine pathos, genuine humor, genuine surprise. As much as the film adheres to the strictures of the standard comic-book movie, it also pops with a knowing, loving, Whedon-world jokiness that keeps everything barreling along." - Amy Biancolli, San Francisco Chronicle

User Opinion: "It was amazing. The comedy was perfect. Hulk stole the last half of the movie. It is a shame that they kind of turned Loki into a joke with the Hulk/Iron Man stuff in the 2nd half. Still, he was an amazing villian. The best of these Marvel movies so far. Tom Hiddleston is perfect for this role." - @CJohn

Commentary: As Iron Man was the official start to the MCU, The Avengers was the kick-off point to the whole shared universe aspect.  Beyond this point, these movies only shared small Easter egg threads and some small roles by the same supporting characters.  It was this movie that brought all of these dynamic personalities together, and showed there was a large, profitable and crowd pleasing market for some superhero crossover.  It's funny to think many thought this cast of eight would be too much given where the franchise ends up now.  

Box Office Count: Under 100m (14), 100m (8), 200m (5), 300m (6), 400m (6), 600m (1), 700m (1)

Decade Count: 70s (1), 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (12), 10s (20)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Nolan (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Gunn (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Chan-Wook (1), Coogler (1), Cronenberg (1), Donner (1), Favreau (1), Jenkins (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Parannaud (1), Radomski (1), Raimi (1), Rodriguez (1), Russo (1), Sandberg (1), Satrapi (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Waititi (1), Whedon (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (12), Chris Evans (6), Batman (5), Iron Man (5), Spider-Man (4), Captain America (3), X-Men (3), Black Panther (2), DCEU (2), Guardians of the Galaxy (2), Hulk (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Superman (2), Thor (2), The Avengers (1), Dredd (1), Men in Black (1), Wonder Woman (1)

The-Avengers-2012-Circle-Formation-Team-

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Not really

Iron Man -  93%

Total Count: 276

Fresh: 258

Rotten: 18

Top Critics: 89%

Average Rating: 7.41/10

Total Count: 56

Fresh: 50

Rotten: 6

Avengers:  92%

Average Rating: 8.06/10

Total Count: 346

Fresh: 319

Rotten: 27

Top Critics: 84%

Average Rating: 7.61/10

Total Count: 55

Fresh: 46

Rotten: 9

CIVIL WAR - 91%

Total Count: 394

Fresh: 358

Rotten: 36

Top Critics : 92%

Average Rating: 7.39/10

Total Count: 60

Fresh: 55

Rotten: 5

etc

Iron Man had been sitting at 94% for a while, somewhere along the line it got another negative review. At the very least The Avengers received similar acclaim to what Iron Man got, but it'd be hard to say it was definitively greater (using RT, which I tend to think MC is the better metric for review compilation).  Anyways, kind of pointless to argue the semantics of that line though lol

Edited by The Panda

Btw, I said on Page 7 of the submission thread I'd accept votes for Edge of Tomorrow when answering Cannastop's question.

Others continued to act like it was ineligible.  I maybe should have double clarified that I was accepting votes for it, my apologies there.  But I do want to point out I specifically answered that question with a straight answer of yes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

To paraphrase our favorite movie quote:

"Forget it, @Thanos Legion & @TalismanRing, it's Panda and the MCU."

;)

=

Also every time Panda posts one of these and doesn't tag me, I am like: "Excellent, Excellleent. The Winter Soldier is one step closer to where it belongs" with some Mr. Burns hand gestures.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Even though I only had The Avengers at seven on my list, I do feel that this sequence, particularly the iconic "Spinning Spot", is probably the most important in comic book film history.  In 2008 -- as a TAG at the END of the crawl credits -- Nick Fury emerged from the shadows and told Tony he was "you've become part of a bigger universe, you just don't know it yet."

It was a promise, nah a pipe dream in 2008.  Iron Man could have flopped.  These films want to what?  A cinematic what?  You just except everyone to watch four movies so they can watch one big team up movie?  That you're not going to release for another four years?  Sure, Jan.

But Kevin Feige stuck with it.  And in that Spinning Shot Moment they delivered.  That is truly when the MCU was born.  

• Like 4

Just now, Eric! said:

So the top 7, in whatever order, is The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, Infinity War, Endgame, Logan, Into the Spider-Verse, and Winter Soldier, right?

I can't believe people are so high on Spiderverse.  

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

I can't believe people are so high on Spiderverse.  

I like it but I didn't have it in my top 10 but I kind of get why people are really into it.  Plus recency bias :P  kidding, but yeah I think it's more of a different style and all the different spider characters is what does it

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I mean, like three-quarters of the list is bewildering to me, but there ya go. 😂

I don't think half the members here have seen Superman or Superman 2.  Hell, maybe not even the Burton Batman movies. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1