The Panda

BOT's Top Comic Book Movies of All Time! - WE’RE IN THE ENDGAME NOW

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

I can't believe people are so high on Spiderverse.  

I had it as #8. Only Spider-Man movie to make my list.  Animation is mind blowing (3rd is so so so good). Finally a Miles story. Features the only Peter Parker I can relate to. (Sorry not sorry. I was never a fifteen year old boy who suddenly had a problem spurting white sticky goo everywhere.). Great, great film. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I had it as #8. Only Spider-Man movie to make my list.  Animation is mind blowing (3rd is so so so good). Finally a Miles story. Features the only Peter Parker I can relate to. (Sorry not sorry. I was never a fifteen year old boy who suddenly had a problem spurting white sticky goo everywhere.). Great, great film. 

It's on my list but lower.  I'd rank it 3rd or 4th in SM movies.  

I like Miles but find him less interesting and entertaining than Peter and that holds true in his own film where he's outshone by two Peter Parkers and a few other other Spiderlings (Porker, Noir & Gwen).  Loved his father and that relationship though the subplot with his murderer Uncle left me cold. Visually is where it truly excelled.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Panda said:

After Black Panther, there is a sizable jump in the point totals.  I feel like it's safe enough to go ahead and reveal the 51-100 portion of the list.

51.    Man of Steel 
52.    Kingsman: The Secret Service
53.    The Death of Stalin
54.    Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
55.    Kick-Ass 
56.    Avengers: Age of Ultron 
57.    Big Hero 6 
58.    Aquaman 
59.    X-Men (2000) 
60.    Batman (1966) 
61.    Doctor Strange
62.    300
63.    Ant-Man 
64.    Thor 
65.    The Mask
66.    Sin City 
67.    Edge of Tomorrow
68.    Blade 
69.    The Crow 
70.    The Rocketeer 
71.    Batman v Superman
72.    Josie and the Pussycats
73.    Only Yesterday
74.    The Incredible Hulk
75.    Hellboy 

76.    Mystery Men

76.    A Silent Voice
77.    The Adventures of Tintin
78.    Mystery Men
79.    Blade 2
80.    In This Corner of the World
81.    TMNT (1990)
82.    Ant-Man and the Wasp
83.    Porco Russo
84.    The Peanuts Movie
85.    Blue is the Warmest Color
86.    X-Men: Apocalypse
87.    Hulk (2003)
88.    Dragonball: Evolutions
89.    American Splendor
90.    Lady Snowblood
91.    Green Lantern
92.    We Are the Best!
93.    Howard the Duck
94.    Daredevil
95.    Spider-Man 3
96.    Teen Titans Go! To the Movies
97.    Electra
98.    Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders
99.    Dark Phoenix
100.    Red

Guess you could say this series is:

From this list

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric! said:

btw it's important to recognize that Spider-Verse features a Nazi-fighting Nic Cage with a goofy accent. How can a movie that features that not be a masterpiece?

Because it isn't. Spider-Verse is proof some people just care about visuals and not story. Give it a generic animation style and I guarantee its praise would be lower. It has one of the least compelling character arcs for a Spider-Man movie, and it's telling that the part of the plot that people love the most is the third act action. Keep in mind I *like* the movie and would probably place it somewhere in my top 25 CBMs

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 7

30 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Because it isn't. Spider-Verse is proof some people just care about visuals and not story. Give it a generic animation style and I guarantee its praise would be lower. It has one of the least compelling character arcs for a Spider-Man movie, and it's telling that the part of the plot that people love the most is the third act action. Keep in mind I *like* the movie and would probably place it somewhere in my top 25 CBMs

That's not true at all. It has a tighter screenplay than any funnybook film of the last decade, and Peter's arc in it is the most compelling that character's had since 2004.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

32 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Han, you goofball. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

56 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Says the guy who thinks Far From Home is the best MCU film.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TMP said:

That's not true at all. It has a tighter screenplay than any funnybook film of the last decade, and Peter's arc in it is the most compelling that character's had since 2004.

It may have some familiar beats but then again most superhero movies do, it’s the likable characters and a great script that make the movie stand out. To be fair, I think Miles character arc in it is better than Holland’s arc and definitely Garfield’s arc as Spider-Men.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

For me at least, it's a rare movie that I watch and I'm pretty much entertained in every scene and totally on board. I don't think it's fair to ignore the visuals as they were really good and a big part of the appeal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I might have preferred Spider-verse as live action, the animation had its pros and cons.     

My top 5 was Russos and Spiderverse though, just an excellent, emotional, well-paced story with great characters. Bit predictable, but that’s how it goes when you’re making movies for kids 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

someone took a big L don't know how that felt

• Like 1

WoHd1HY.png

Logan (2017)

Directed by James Mangold

Based on "Old Man Logan" by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven

(201 Points, 40 Votes)

6d8bae49570389.58b85c83e7520.jpg

"Logan, you still have time."

Number 2 Placements: 4

Top 4 Placements: 8

Top 6 Placements: 12

Top 10 Placements: 22

Awards Count: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Box Office: 226.3m (230.4m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 77

Synopsis: In 2029 the mutant population has shrunken significantly due to genetically modified plants designed to reduce mutant powers and the X-Men have disbanded. Logan, whose power to self-heal is dwindling, has surrendered himself to alcohol and now earns a living as a chauffeur. He takes care of the ailing old Professor X whom he keeps hidden away. One day, a female stranger asks Logan to drive a girl named Laura to the Canadian border. At first he refuses, but the Professor has been waiting for a long time for her to appear. Laura possesses an extraordinary fighting prowess and is in many ways like Wolverine. She is pursued by sinister figures working for a powerful corporation; this is because they made her, with Logan's DNA. A decrepit Logan is forced to ask himself if he can or even wants to put his remaining powers to good use. It would appear that in the near-future, the times in which they were able put the world to rights with razor sharp claws and telepathic powers are now over.

Critic Opinion: "On its own terms, Logan is a crackerjack piece of work: The dialogue is crisp, the staging snappy, and the action scenes really pop. One of those scenes is screamingly perverse — a bit in which Logan turns a Las Vegas suite into a charnel house when a group of killers is frozen in place by the apocalyptic emanations from Charles Xavier’s synapses. But when my 14-year-old daughter — who I won’t let see the movie right now — said, “But Dad, did you like it?” I couldn’t give her a simple yes or no. I can’t remember the last time a blockbuster has left me so ravaged — and I’m including Rogue One, which at least ended with the word, “Hope.” My freak-out isn’t just about what happens to the characters. It’s the country in which they live and die that ushers in the nightmares. If this is the superhero movie that most accurately evokes how we live now, we’re in even more trouble than I thought." - David Edelstein, Vulture

User Opinion: "Definitely the best "finale" of a superhero franchise ever. Perfect daddy-daughter bonding movie, loved every minute of it :wub:" - @DAJK

Commentary: Coming in right outside of the top 5 is the highest ranking of the X-Men movies.  Logan goes the Deadpool R-Rating route, but in the complete opposite direction tonally, and what you get is the best mainstream comic book deconstruction film out there right now.  Logan takes elements of a classic Western and takes an inner look at the deeper struggles of the Wolverine character that were never able to be truly explored well in the PG-13 films.  Logan is one of the boldest takes a mainstream studio has done with one of their long running heroes.  It'd be hard to imagine there'll be many more movies like it.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (14), 100m (8), 200m (6), 300m (6), 400m (6), 600m (1), 700m (1)

Decade Count: 70s (1), 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (12), 10s (21)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Nolan (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Gunn (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Chan-Wook (1), Coogler (1), Cronenberg (1), Donner (1), Favreau (1), Jenkins (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), Mangold (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Parannaud (1), Radomski (1), Raimi (1), Rodriguez (1), Russo (1), Sandberg (1), Satrapi (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Waititi (1), Whedon (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (12), Chris Evans (6), Batman (5), Iron Man (5), X-Men (5), Spider-Man (4), Captain America (3), Black Panther (2), DCEU (2), Guardians of the Galaxy (2), Hulk (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Superman (2), Thor (2), The Avengers (1), Deadpool (1), Dredd (1), Men in Black (1), Wonder Woman (1)

D_XFi-LWkAAKRU2.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Disbelief 1