The Panda

BOT's Top Comic Book Movies of All Time! - WE’RE IN THE ENDGAME NOW

12 minutes ago, justvision said:

Endgame just barely out of top 5 must be the biggest surprise so far to most of us here, me included. ...

It got listed in 32 (4/7) out of 56, no matter its position, means it was not included at all in 24 (3/7) lists.

That's ~ 57% to 43%

= 'only' 24 out of the 32 listing it at all, placed it into their top 10

= 'only' 43% liked it enough for a top 10 position

I am not surprised, but I am not surprised by any rankings, this is too new to me (just very recently started to participate, this one is 1 out of 3 of those ranked lists thing I did participate ) 😉

Edited by terrestrial

25 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

It got listed in 32 (4/7) out of 56, no matter its position, means it was not included at all in 24 (3/7) lists.

That's ~ 57% to 43%

= 'only' 24 out of the 32 listing it at all, placed it into their top 10

= 'only' 43% liked it enough for a top 10 position

I am not surprised, but I am not surprised by any rankings, this is too new to me (just very recently started to participate, this one is 1 out of 3 of those ranked lists thing I did participate ) 😉

Good for you to actually count the entries (posted). I was just eyeballing. It showed that crude eyeballing affected by confirmation/selective bias (somehow entries in my own top 10 including Endgame just popped up in my visual fields) is not objectively reliable.

OTOH, I don't like to see TDK, but it quite conspicuously showed up in top few placements in quite a number of posts. 😛

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, justvision said:

Good for you to actually count the entries (

I didn't count it, the amount of lists is stated in the first post of this thread, and the details per movie is stated for every movie he posted 😉

the number of lists a tile was on e.g.:

Iron Man (2008)

Directed by Jon Favreau

Based on "Iron Man" by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Larry Lieber and Don Heck

(173 Points, 39 Votes)

and under the movie's poster you can see the statistics (quite some details get added!) per movie:

Number 2 Placements: 1

Top 4 Placements: 2

Top 6 Placements: 7

Top 10 Placements: 18

I edited and gave the splits the moment I realised all numbers are divisible's (term?) of 8, it was too tempting for me, an absolute lovers of number plays, to not do that

😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Empire said:

Endgame should have finished above Infinity War. Otherwise I’m okay with it at 6. 

i'm thinking IW missed the list.  there's no way it got that individual favoritism from these deep of lists.  100+ comic movies for scientists to dig into.

I saw IW like 3x and I didn't find it rating high in the minds with members the way The Deathly Hallows 1 rated with members.

There is a lot of manga submissions though, so who knows what part of the world an extra 40 votes of IW slipped in from.

10 hours ago, baumer said:

I can't believe people are so high on Spiderverse.  

im cashed out or burnt out with what blockbusters show, so Spiderverse gave me more excess than IW.  IW was like ROTS matchups

Edited by 2010s Painkiller Race

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

I didn't count it, the amount of lists is stated in the first post of this thread, and the details per movie is stated for every movie he posted 😉

the number of lists a tile was on e.g.:

Iron Man (2008)

Directed by Jon Favreau

Based on "Iron Man" by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Larry Lieber and Don Heck

(173 Points, 39 Votes)

and under the movie's poster you can see the statistics (quite some details get added!) per movie:

Number 2 Placements: 1

Top 4 Placements: 2

Top 6 Placements: 7

Top 10 Placements: 18

I edited and gave the splits the moment I realised all numbers are divisible's (term?) of 8, it was too tempting for me, an absolute lovers of number plays, to not do that

😉

Ok. I thought you counted the lists publicly posted under this thread asking for list submissions, and already had some idea about the actual ranking even BEFORE the Panda posted it.

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, justvision said:

Ok. I thought you counted the lists publicly posted under this thread asking for list submissions, and already had some idea about the actual ranking even BEFORE the Panda posted it.

Even if somebody did that it wouldn’t cover all 56 lists I received.  Many chose to share their lists and many only pm’d it to me.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Wait, did I miss Deadpool 2 in the Top 50 or did people forget about it altogether for it to not even make the Top 100? Damn.

17 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

This is what happens when @Nova goes off for exams. 

No. No. This is WHY @Nova goes off for exams. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Even if somebody did that it wouldn’t cover all 56 lists I received.  Many chose to share their lists and many only pm’d it to me.

Noted. However, statistically if the publicly posted lists constitute a large sample size of the total submitted lists (assuming no last minute alteration), then one can have a good idea of what the final actual results.

• Knock It Off 1

c1CHTV6.png

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Directed by the Russo Brothers

Based on "Winter Soldier" by Ed Brubaker

(218 Points, 41 Votes)

Dw42-NOXgAAQI_i.jpg

"On your left."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 2 Placements: 3

Top 4 Placements: 9

Top 6 Placements: 16

Top 10 Placements: 24

Awards Count: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Box Office: 259.8m (281.1m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 70

Synopsis: For Steve Rogers, awakening after decades of suspended animation involves more than catching up on pop culture; it also means that this old school idealist must face a world of subtler threats and difficult moral complexities. That becomes clear when Director Nick Fury is killed by the mysterious assassin, the Winter Soldier, but not before warning Rogers that SHIELD has been subverted by its enemies. When Rogers acts on Fury's warning to trust no one there, he is branded as a traitor by the organization. Now a fugitive, Captain America must get to the bottom of this deadly mystery with the help of the Black Widow and his new friend, The Falcon. However, the battle will be costly for the Sentinel of Liberty, with Rogers finding enemies where he least expects them while learning that the Winter Soldier looks disturbingly familiar. 

Critic Opinion: "What it comes down to is the difference between spectacle and craftsmanship. The Winter Soldier has plenty of the former – every dollar of its estimated $170-million (U.S.) budget is onscreen – but it's also got an intricate dramatic and thematic structure holding everything in place. For instance, Steve and Sam's bond over the fact that they both lost wingmen in wars six decades apart is never overstated in the dialogue. And in an adventure that finds S.H.I.E.L.D. cracking from the inside-out, the Captain's two most spectacular hand-to-hand battles see him discarding his trademark shield and absorbing body blows along the way. There's comic-book poetry in that juxtaposition, and The Winter Soldier is just grave and graceful enough to make it work." - Adam Nayman, Globe and Mail

Instead of doing my own commentary, I'm going to combine it with the user opinion because @captainwondyful sent me an essay about this film

"The Russo Brothers, Markus & McFeely, and Kevin Feige created a modern genre masterpiece with their sequel to the fabulous Captain America: The First Avenger. More importantly, they catapulted the Marvel Cinematic Universe into a completely new stratosphere of creativity and quality. TWSproves that modern blockbusters can have nuanced, emotional character moments, and brilliantly choreographed action sequences.

The shrewdest creative decision in TWSis to have Natasha Romanoff fill the role/trope of the Best Friend/Sidekick and Sam Wilson to fill the role/trope of the Love Interest. By flipping these gendered norms, the movie now explores refreshingly modern takes on friendship and trust.

Natasha Romanoff and Steve Rogers start the film wary of each other, and their roles in each other's lives.  Through the film, they build a deeply committed relationship built on trust rather than sex.  With her not filling the Love Interest role, Natasha Romanoff works as a co-lead, who must work through her own issues and go on her own journey of self-discovery.  Plus, now she gets to be Steve's Bro! And like a good wingman's she's always trying to set him up!

Captain America: The Winter Soldier begins with the iconic Meet Cute of Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson.  Sam Wilson's just out for a leisurely morning jog when out of nowhere this asshole's looping him with endless "On Your Left"s. 

(AND OMG. The PAY OFF for this in Endgame. I wept in the theater.)

By using the Meet Cute device as shorthand, the audience understands that Sam Wilson's going to be a friend.  Via dialogue -- the mutual bonding of being veterans, The Sass ("Oh That's How it is?" "Oh, That's How It is.") -- we feel them instantly connect.  I also laugh so hard at Sam Wilson making His Move with that Troubleman Soundtrack rec. Smooth, man. Smooth. 

With the scenes at the VA and on the Dam Bridge, we see Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson interacting in open, emotional, and healthy ways.  We see how these two gravitate towards each other, and how they both lift each other up.  Steve Rogers needs Sam Wilson to help him connect with the future.  Sam Wilson needs Steve Rogers to help him believe again.

It is amazing to see. In a genre obsessed with “only I can carry the burden” and “I must lie and push away those I love to protect them”, we have a hero not only confront his feelings, but realize he is better with his friends support. 

My favorite element of Captain America: The Winter Soldier is that for a superhero action movie, it features a hero whose true power is his goodness, and his ability to inspire others.  His big power play in the Third Act is to give a speech, over the PA system.  Steve's Price of Freedom Speech is the perfect example of all that's good about Captain America.

It also doesn't hurt that Chris EvansIS Steve Rogers.

Or that the Hargrave Brothers are some of the best stunts people in the business. 

I love the way Captain America: The Winter Soldier uses action to expose character.

We start with the Lemurian Star sequence.  It takes place at night.  Steve's wearing his dark stealth suit.  Steve Rogers is not a bad ass for jumping out of that plane without a parachute.  He's suicidal.  He has zero regards for his safety and well being.  He tosses his enemies around without concern.  We feel him in his dark place, trying to find his new role in the world.

In the Washington DC Street Fight -- the Best Action Sequence Marvel's Ever Put On Screen (Aside From Obviously Portals) -- the entire sequence takes place in street clothes.  Our heroes have found out that the enemies is from within and have shed their past alliances.  They're trying to survive, trying to find who they are in this new world.  This sequence is also so smart.  I love that Natasha Romanoff stops when she sees the shadows.  I love that Sam Wilson LITERALLY brings a knife to a gun fight and wins.  I love the intense fight choreography of Steve Rogers and Winter Soldier's fight -- and then he rips off that mask, for that reveal, and we're right back to Steve, and his emotions.

Finally, in the Hellicarrier sequence, Steve emerges in his old Captain America suit.  He's found a new purpose in the world.  This sequence is the most 'superhero' of the movie.  Yet, we still keep it personal, because now it's about saving Bucky.  I love that it ends with two of the most skilled fighters in the world having a wrestling match. 

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a perfect action film.  I judge every modern action movie and superhero film based off it.  It's my favorite movie." - @captainwondyful

Box Office Count: Under 100m (14), 100m (8), 200m (7), 300m (6), 400m (6), 600m (1), 700m (1), 800m (1)

Decade Count: 70s (1), 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (12), 10s (23)

Director Count: Russo (3), Miyazaki (2), Nolan (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Gunn (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Chan-Wook (1), Coogler (1), Cronenberg (1), Donner (1), Favreau (1), Jenkins (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), Mangold (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Parannaud (1), Radomski (1), Raimi (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Satrapi (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Waititi (1), Whedon (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (14), Chris Evans (8), Iron Man (6), Captain America (5), Batman (5), X-Men (5), Spider-Man (5), Guardians of the Galaxy (3), Hulk (3), Thor (3), The Avengers (2), Black Panther (2), DCEU (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Superman (2), Ant-Man (1), Deadpool (1), Dredd (1), Men in Black (1), Wonder Woman (1)

hero_CaptainAmericaTheWinterSoldier-2014

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 3

I also want to go ahead and say that I slightly misspoke about the Top 3 being uncatchable.  I should have said the Top 4, as there is a sizable point jump between 4 and 5, but numbers 3 and 4 were tied in point totals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

That's quite a user review for TWS.

I actually re-watch it again last night (it's what I did after the AEG reveal), and it's still perfect.

Also, @Plain Old Tele in the Telegram said that we need to make sure to include shirtless pictures, which he wasn't in TWS, but:

look at those arms:

tumblr_psdyggguNl1tg1y59o6_250.gif

What nonsense is this.  This is how you go running?  More like how you create a thirst trap for Sam.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

56 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Instead of doing my own commentary, I'm going to combine it with the user opinion because @captainwondyful sent me an essay about this film

I don’t wanna go full conspiracy nut here, but I’m starting to think that @captainwondyful might like this movie a bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1