The Panda

BOT's Top Comic Book Movies of All Time! - WE’RE IN THE ENDGAME NOW

It's funny how on BOT IW won and on a lot of websites I see so many comments that IW was better, but Endgame is (slightly) higher than IW in pretty much every audience rating. I guess the dissatisfied are more vocal.

I also don't think I'll ever understand the love for SM2. It's an entertaining film but some parts are just so wack, especially the romance subplot. And Doc Ock is kinda an overrated villain tbh.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

And here are the final two in the countdown!

Spoiler

LpMpX56.png

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Directed by Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsay and Rodney Rothman

Based on "Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man" by Brian Michael Bendis

(255 Points, 42 Votes)

bella_spidey.jpg

"It always fits. Eventually."

Number 1 Placements: 3

Top 2 Placements: 5

Top 4 Placements: 14

Top 6 Placements: 21

Top 10 Placements: 27

Awards Count: Won 1 Oscar

Box Office: 190.2m 

Metacritic: 87

Synopsis: Miles Morales is a New York teen struggling with school, friends and, on top of that, being the new Spider-Man. When he comes across Peter Parker, the erstwhile saviour of New York, in the multiverse, Miles must train to become the new protector of his city.

Critic Opinion: "It’s good to be reminded that quality knows no genre. An animated spinoff of a comic-book franchise — one that has practically been filmed to death over the decades — should be just another chunk of brand-extended plastic, right? Surprise: “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” is one of the wittiest and most creatively exuberant movies of the year, and maybe one of the best. A pop-art roller coaster ride with soul, it can dazzle even a sick-of-superheroes doubter with two hours of thoroughgoing delight. Take the kids. Better yet, take the kid in yourself." - Ty Burr, Boston Globe

User Opinion: "I'll echo the thoughts of pretty much everyone and say that I thought this was really great. Loved all the voice cast (especially Liev Schrieber) and the visual style was gorgeous. Honestly, I can't really think of anything wrong with it. 

Pine Peter's death was done really well I think; kinda relies on our collective connection with all the other Peter Parker's through pop culture but the newscasts and people's subsequent reactions to that really got to me. Effective stuff. " - @aabattery

"Best superhero film since 2008" - @TMP

"This is the perfect superhero movie and one of my favorite animated movies." - @YourMother the Edgelord

Commentary: And coming in above all of the other live action Spider-Man films and Marvel films is an animated masterpiece that took Box Office Theory by storm.  This is a movie that absolutely blew me away, because in no way was I ever expecting to love a modern superhero film this much.  Spider-Verse it a witty, fun and clean deconstructing satire of the superhero genre that also manages to show the utmost love and respect to the source material it's a parody of.  There's not another comic book movie that feels quite as comic booky as this one, the film unfolds as if you're truly watching a comic book come to life.  If even @Plain Old Tele loves it, then you know it must have done something right.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (14), 100m (10), 200m (7), 300m (6), 400m (6), 600m (2), 700m (1), 800m (1)

Decade Count: 70s (1), 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (13), 10s (25)

Director Count: Russo (4), Miyazaki (2), Nolan (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Gunn (2), Raimi (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Chan-Wook (1), Coogler (1), Cronenberg (1), Donner (1), Favreau (1), Jenkins (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), Mangold (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Parannaud (1), Persichetti (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Ramsay (1), Rothman (1), Sandberg (1), Satrapi (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Waititi (1), Whedon (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (15), Chris Evans (9), Spider-Man (8), Iron Man (7), Captain America (6), Batman (5), X-Men (5), Guardians of the Galaxy (4), Hulk (4), Thor (4), The Avengers (3), Black Panther (3), Captain Marvel (2), DCEU (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Superman (2), Ant-Man (1), Deadpool (1), Doctor Strange (1), Dredd (1), Men in Black (1), Wonder Woman (1)

spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-e154341

Spoiler

The #1 movie BOT deserves, but not the one it needs right now...

oAAzJj0.png

The Dark Knight (2008)

Directed by Christopher Nolan

Based on "Batman: The Killing Joke" by Alan Moore

(364 Points, 48 Votes)

darkknight_studio.jpg

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Number 1 Placements: 17

Top 2 Placements: 21

Top 4 Placements: 25

Top 6 Placements: 31

Top 10 Placements: 37

Awards Count: Won 2 Oscars

Box Office: 533.3m (669.2m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 84

Synopsis: Set within a year after the events of Batman Begins (2005), Batman, Lieutenant James Gordon, and new District Attorney Harvey Dent successfully begin to round up the criminals that plague Gotham City, until a mysterious and sadistic criminal mastermind known only as "The Joker" appears in Gotham, creating a new wave of chaos. Batman's struggle against The Joker becomes deeply personal, forcing him to "confront everything he believes" and improve his technology to stop him. A love triangle develops between Bruce Wayne, Dent, and Rachel Dawes.

Critic Opinion: "“Batman” isn’t a comic book anymore. Christopher Nolan’s “The Dark Knight” is a haunted film that leaps beyond its origins and becomes an engrossing tragedy. It creates characters we come to care about. That’s because of the performances, because of the direction, because of the writing, and because of the superlative technical quality of the entire production. This film, and to a lesser degree “Iron Man,” redefine the possibilities of the “comic-book movie.” “The Dark Knight” is not a simplistic tale of good and evil. Batman is good, yes, The Joker is evil, yes. But Batman poses a more complex puzzle than usual: The citizens of Gotham City are in an uproar, calling him a vigilante and blaming him for the deaths of policemen and others. And the Joker is more than a villain. He’s a Mephistopheles whose actions are fiendishly designed to pose moral dilemmas for his enemies." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "I haven't heard of this. Can someone tell me what it's about?" - @Plain Old Tele

"There's a bunch of knights who say NIIHHH and they come to New York city only to be confronted by a circus clown who likes to burn money.  Pretty cool film." - @baumer

"Sounds pretty experimental." - Tele

"Yep, John Cleese as the main dark knight and Michael Palin as his robin coloured knight are pretty good in it.  Tim Curry plays the clown who likes to burn money.  It's ghost directed by Sylvester Stallone.  Chris Nolan got the credit but Sly was the true director." - Baumer

"A very overrated movie" - BKB, a member who was permabanned for sympathizing with Nazis

"Favorite ending of all time. Not sure it can ever change. It hits all the right notes and hit at the right transitional phase of my life. ... It's perfect, because Nolan." - @MrPink

"Nolan made every single CBM director in history, past and present, his personal bitch when he created this flawless masterpiece, and from the looks of Dulltron's flaccid reception, will continue to do so for the foreseeable future." - @Squaremaster316

Commentary: And was the number 1 movie ever really going to be anything else?  Really?  When it comes to the votes, Squaremaster sums it up rather perfectly in describing how much The Dark Knight dominated this list.  It was over 100 points above the number 2 film.  In a list where the absolute maximum number of points a movie could get was 560 (and that was if somehow every user voted it as their number 1), the Dark Knight got 364, less than 200 points away from reaching the point cap.  Christopher Nolan created a film that has become regarded as an all-time classic, and one that will forever be beloved by fanboys all across the internet.  Destiny arrived, Ledger and the Bat remain unbudged from their throne without breaking their sweat.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (14), 100m (10), 200m (7), 300m (6), 400m (6), 500m (1), 600m (2), 700m (1), 800m (1)

Decade Count: 70s (1), 80s (4), 90s (4), 00s (14), 10s (25)

Director Count: Russo (4), Nolan (3), Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Burton (2), Gunn (2), Raimi (2), Singer (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Chan-Wook (1), Coogler (1), Cronenberg (1), Donner (1), Favreau (1), Jenkins (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), Mangold (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Otomo (1), Parannaud (1), Persichetti (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Ramsay (1), Rothman (1), Sandberg (1), Satrapi (1), Snyder (1), Sonnenfield (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Waititi (1), Whedon (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (15), Chris Evans (9), Spider-Man (8), Iron Man (7), Batman (6), Captain America (6), X-Men (5), Guardians of the Galaxy (4), Hulk (4), Thor (4), The Avengers (3), Black Panther (3), Captain Marvel (2), DCEU (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Superman (2), Ant-Man (1), Deadpool (1), Doctor Strange (1), Dredd (1), Men in Black (1), Wonder Woman (1)

image.png

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Just now, TMP said:

Still the king

giphy.gif

Q4obX2u.jpg

Not even just the king, it wasn't even a competition lol.

When I was counting the votes it was pretty fun watching The Dark Knight's lead just get larger and larger with (nearly) each list.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Great work @The Panda.  Awesome write ups and details.

Overall pretty good list.  I disagree with some placements especially number 2 being way too high but the movie definitely should be on the list.

Glad to see some variety on here too

• Thanks 1