The Panda

BOT's Top Comic Book Movies of All Time! - WE’RE IN THE ENDGAME NOW

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

There have already been 5  MCU listed.  There are at least 5 that I can't see making it near this list and probably a couple of others.  I think there will be 10 of 28 left.    There's definitely still more graphic novel adaptations,  Ghibli, Nolan, and at least one Fox Men and 2-3 from the DCEU.

From eyeballing the lists posted in forum publicly, I think Iron Man 2, Thor:TDW, Ant-Man, AM&tW, The Incredible Hulk, and Dr Strange will not make it. 12 other MCU movies will make the list.

Raimi's first 2 Spider-Man films, Nolan's all three Batman films, Wonder Woman, Logan, Batman Returns (1992), Superman (1978), X-Men:DoFP will be in. Together they account for another 10.

Also from eyeballing, The Dark Knight will be the top, Endgame in top 3, A:IW in top 5, Spider-Man 2, Superman (1978), Batman Returns (1992) in top 7, CA:WS, TDKR, Logan in top 10, The Avengers (2012), Iron Man, Thor: Ragnarok, Wonder Woman in top 15.

3 minutes ago, justvision said:

From eyeballing the lists posted in forum publicly, I think Iron Man 2, Thor:TDW, Ant-Man, AM&tW, The Incredible Hulk, and Dr Strange will not make it. 12 other MCU movies will make the list.

Raimi's first 2 Spider-Man films, Nolan's all three Batman films, Wonder Woman, Logan, Batman Returns (1992), Superman (1978), X-Men:DoFP will be in. Together they account for another 10.

I think Thor and AOU are out now that we're in the 20s.  Aquaman and  MOS might be there.  Maybe a  Blade.  There's also MIB, Mask, Persepolis, Akira and maybe (crosses fingers) a Hellboy.

• Like 1

Omwvdv9.png

Road to Perdition (2002)

Directed by Sam Mendes

Based on "Road to Perdition" by Max Allan Collins and Richard Piers Raynor

(76 Points, 16 Votes)

51UgHt7OuUL.jpg

"May you get to Heaven an hour before the Devil knows you're dead."

Top 2 Placements: 1

Top 4 Placements: 3

Top 6 Placements: 4

Top 10 Placements: 10

Awards Count: Won 1 Oscar, Nominated for 5

Box Office: 104.5m (162m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 72

Synopsis: It is the year 1931. Mike Sullivan is a henchman of southern Illinois crime boss John Rooney. Having taken Sullivan under his wing as as orphan, Rooney's paternal affections for him are greater than for his son and heir, Connor Rooney, who is a violent and dangerous man. Sullivan's eldest son Michael, who is curious about his mysterious father, inadvertently witnesses a mob hit that is carried out by his father and Connor. Michael is caught and sworn to secrecy but Connor views him as a loose end. This puts Sullivan at odds with Rooney who is forced to side with his son, making Sullivan an enemy of the mob. Sullivan then takes action to protect his family and to put an end to the threat.

Critic Opinion: "Muted and vivid. That's not the usual combination, but it describes "Road to Perdition," from its washed-out but distinct cinematography to its performances -- subdued yet percolating with suppressed emotion. Directed by Sam Mendes, this movie might not be as flashy as his Oscar-winning "American Beauty," but it's a smarter film, more mature and emotionally honest. And Tom Hanks, who stars in it, is superb." - Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle

User Opinion: "One of my favourites. Beautiful in every way. Easily Tom Hanks best performance of the last 12 years and everyone else is pretty great in it too." - @CoolioD1

Commentary: Coming in, in my opinion, also way too low on this list is a beautiful and somber gangster film that's really unlike the other tights and capes movies that have been all over this list so far.  Road to Perdition features a powerful performance from Tom Hanks.  Sam Mendes, fresh off his Oscar darling American Beauty, crafts a stirring work that still holds up to this day.  Maybe this film making the list will help to inspire more of our members to go out and give this one a shot.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (10), 100m (6), 200m (2), 300m (2), 400m (2)

Decade Count: 80s (3), 90s (2), 00s (7), 10s (9)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Burton (1), Cronenberg (1), Johnston (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Singer (1), Snyder (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (5), Batman (2), Spider-Man (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Iron Man (2), X-Men (2), Captain America (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Superman (1)

Perdition277-580x250.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

l7V6Zhv.png

Snowpiercer (2014)

Directed by Bong Joon-ho

Based on "Le Transperceneige" by Jacques Lob

(77 Points, 21 Votes)

4f80c3c2f49123d0f58589adfb230bef.jpg

"Order is the barrier that holds back the flood of death."

Top 4 Placements: 1

Top 6 Placements: 3

Top 10 Placements: 6

Awards Count: 1 Movies For Grownups Nomination, and some other critics circles

Box Office: 4.6m (5.1m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 84

Synopsis: Set in 2031, the entire world is frozen except for those aboard the Snowpiercer. For seventeen years, the world's survivors are on a train hurtling around the globe creating their own economy and class system. Led by Curtis (Chris Evans), a group of lower-class citizens living in squalor at the back of the train are determined to get to the front of the train and spread the wealth around. Each section of the train holds new surprises for the group who have to battle their way through. A revolution is underway. 

Critic Opinion: "It is a rare and refreshing experience these days to go to the theater and see an epic science-fiction action film in the summer that is trying to make a point. I very much enjoy watching franchise cogs that work mostly because of how they slot into all the other moving parts around them; I’m also totally partial to nonsensical, explosion-filled garbage that distracts me with sound and flashing lights. But Snowpiercer is that rare experience you don’t get to have much in the summer anymore, a loud, clanging, original action flick that’s grabbing you by the lapels and yelling in your ears.  There’s been much made of Korean auteur Bong Joon-ho’s mixed first experience making an English language film, clashing with Harvey Weinstein over editing his movie into something more commercial. Supposedly this 125-minute cut is what the director is satisfied with, and that makes sense to me, because Snowpiercer is a demented nightmare vision of a Hollywood action movie, and it’s lost nothing of its committed, neo-Marxist message, which it tries as hard as it can to bash into your brain." - David Sims, The Atlantic

User Opinion: "The direction by South Korean filmmaker Joon-ho Bong (doing his first English language film) is excellent. The film definitely fits his trademark style of multiple events occurring in long takes. Scenes, such as the members of the train revolting, or the scene where the train goes over the bridge, and everything is in green dark, show a lot of things going on at once being captured simultaneously. Snowpiercer does however suffer from some of its action scenes, which while exhilarating to watch, do suffer from shaky cam overload.  Snowpiercer is a film with a real message. It doesn’t feel like your usual average blockbuster despite the fact that it could easily have fallen into that very category. This film was clearly made with an intent. Sure there are some plotholes in the film, especially regarding the use of the train, but thanks to great direction, great directing and a great “muddy, dark” look that makes Snowpiercer a fantastic film to watch." - @Fancyarcher

Commentary: Chris Evans makes his way back onto our lists, only not with the conventional character you would have thought of.  In a year with another Captain America movie that came out, this film was actually my favorite of the Chris Evans flicks.  Snowpiercer is a dystopian adaption of a French graphic novel that portrays class struggles and a man fighting to work his way up in the world.  The vivid production and costume design brings the world to life, and it's filmed by the great direct Joon-ho.  Snowpiercer was a small comic book gem that stands out among all of the big name men in tights.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (11), 100m (6), 200m (2), 300m (2), 400m (2)

Decade Count: 80s (3), 90s (2), 00s (7), 10s (10)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Burton (1), Cronenberg (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Singer (1), Snyder (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (5), Batman (2), Spider-Man (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Iron Man (2), X-Men (2), Captain America (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Superman (1)

snowpiercer_esv6.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

qxxPMw0.png

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010)

Directed by Edgar Wright

Based on "Scott Pilgrim" by Bryan Lee O'Malley

(78 Points, 18 Votes)

Scott_Pilgrim_Final.jpg

"I'm in lesbians with you."

Top 4 Placements: 2

Top 6 Placements: 5

Top 10 Placements: 7

Awards Count: 1 Eddie Nomination

Box Office: 31.5m (36.8m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 69

Synopsis: Scott Pilgrim plays in a band which aspires to success. He dates Knives Chau, a high-school girl five years younger, and he hasn't recovered from being dumped by his former girlfriend, now a success with her own band. When Scott falls for Ramona Flowers, he has trouble breaking up with Knives and tries to romance Ramona. As if juggling two women wasn't enough, Ramona comes with baggage: seven ex-lovers, with each of whom Scott must do battle to the death in order to win Ramona.

Critic Opinion: "‘Scott Pilgrim’ also has a similar relationship to realism and fantasy as ‘Spaced’: what we get are down-to-earth observations on everyday lives explained with wild flights of visual and narrative fancy, with plenty of nods to films and TV shows, loud music and daring edits.  Whether you like or just admire ‘Scott Pilgrim’ will probably rest with how you feel about Scott, as played by Hollywood’s favourite nerd, Michael Cera. Scott is the 22-year-old jobless bass player in a garage band called Sex Bob-omb and is the kind of role that Cera regularly plays. But he’s also likeable, adorable at times, and free of the super-cool jive-talking that mars films like ‘Juno’. He’s self-centred and emotionally childish, but no more, we think, than most of us, and we enjoy the company of his friends, especially his vicious gay flatmate (Kieran Culkin). It means that when the frosty, unreachable Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) enters his life and he gives his try-hard younger girlfriend Knives Chau (Ellen Wong) the brush-off, we’re running along with him." - Dave Calhoun, Time Out

User Opinion: "I rewatched it so many times and yet the jokes are as funny as ever; truly one of the funniest movies ever made. Wright is such a great stylist: every cut, every sound, every camera movement, every special effect, every performance tick puts a big smile on my face. It loses a little bit of steam after the Envy Adams segment, though." - @Goffe

Commentary: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World continues our break from the men in tights movies to deliver a light comedy that focuses on the battles against evil exes Michael Cera must face in order to date the girl of his dreams, Ramona Flowers.  Edgar Wright breathes style and personality all over this film, and it's hard not to be charmed by the movies quirks and visual flair.  While this may not be a superhero movie, the comic book nature of it all is seen lovingly in every frame.  Also, another Chris Evans comic book movie!  How many of these is he in?

Box Office Count: Under 100m (11), 100m (6), 200m (2), 300m (2), 400m (2)

Decade Count: 80s (3), 90s (2), 00s (7), 10s (11)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Watts (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Burton (1), Cronenberg (1), Johnston (1), Joon-ho (1), Lester (1), McTeigue (1), Mendes (1), Oshii (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Singer (1), Snyder (1), Timm (1), Travis (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Wright (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (5), Chris Evans (3), Batman (2), Spider-Man (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Iron Man (2), X-Men (2), Captain America (1), DCEU (1), Dredd (1), Superman (1)

tumblr_oodurqKK4U1qetb0ho1_1280.jpg

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I don't think either of these are making it.

Losers would be a shame.  That cast is stacked (Saldana, Morgan, Elba, Evans) and a lot of silly fun.  I'm still waiting for my sequel where it's just Jensen coaching his niece's soccer team.

• Like 1