Sheikh

Weekend Thread - Good Boys 21.4m OW, other openers not worth mentioning

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Whew, excellent openings for ONCE overseas. 

Once very likely to do about 330m worldwide assuming No china release, that is about the range(minus china) of Godzilla 2, Pikachu, Shazam, and more than X-men, Us and MIB4

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

That is something I wait since a few weeks for

= I guess a certain former Sony Studio boss will smile rather broadly now 😉 (I usually do not care, but I really do not like Rothman)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

It has grown 15% DOM and 25% WW, that seems really healthy. Moreso when you take into account that FFH had less starpower than Homecoming due to lack of RDJ.  Yes, other Marvel sagas have grown more %-wise throughout their sequels (Cap, Thor), but they didn't start so close to the ceiling as Spidey did.

It won't reach 400 DOM which is why some people might be slightly down on the film, but all in all it's a great performance.

Well said. FFH grew despite no team up/crossover, a benefit that helped some other solo franchises.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

What lack of growth? It increased OS by a lot and still outgrossed SMH dom. It may not have expanded the fanbase dom too much but it isn't stagnating or declining. 

I’m just saying people expected a bigger jump than GOTG1 > GOTG2

• Disbelief 1

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I knew the horror websites posted rave reviews last night, but just realised there that it’s 100% on Rotten Tomatoes so far including reviews from top critics like Time Out, Variety, THR. 

It seems a shame its being dumped. Even I had never heard of it until last week. Estimated count is 2,300. Disney seem to be dumping these Fox acquisitions now after a few flops in a row. 

isn't that kinda the norm for Fox Searchlight releases? I don't believe they ever had a release in 3000+ theaters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Once very likely to do about 330m worldwide assuming No china release, that is about the range(minus china) of Godzilla 2, Pikachu, Shazam, and more than X-men [...] and MIB4

and yet why do i get the feeling that it's still movies like those five, and not OUATIH, that we are gonna get dozens more of. 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's crazy how all these Spider-man movies, decades of inflation, and being part of a massive franchise later and Spider-man's unadjusted DOM remains unbeatable for the character. 

It's not crazy considering that the character has gone through 3 different versions in less than 2 decades. I still know people, that are completely clueless about the MCU tie-in, complaining about to many spider-man movies. The fact that it's grossing so much is a testament to how popular he is.  

Edited by HeadShot
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

and yet why do i get the feeling that it's still movies like those five, and not OUATIH, that we are gonna get dozens more of. 

Once Upon a Time can't have sequels and won't sell toys nor merchandise either.

14 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Because those movies won't be directed by Tarantino. He's the main drawing power behind all of his movies similar to how nostalgia sells the live-action remakes. If someone else made OUATIH it would have probably bombed. 

Edited by HeadShot
  • Like 1

There were 11 new wide releases in the past two weeks, that's gotta be at least close to a record right? And only 2 (barely) cracked a 20m OW. This sort of thing is going to be extinct very soon as all these kinds of movies go straight to streaming. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Good Boys off to an excellent start! It’s by far the best start for an original R-rated comedy since Girls Trip! Also noteworthy that in the past year we’ve had comedies with familiar faces or branding help out and they bombed. Good Boys should also benefit as the last hurrah for the summer and play well with audiences. While I don’t think it will do $100 million domestic, a total between $60-$70 million would be awesome! 

Hobbs & Shaw and Lion King holding on strong for late summer. Hobbs should do $170 million easily. Lion King should outgross The Dark Knight before it ends it’s run. 

Angry Birds 2  is one of the biggest duds of The weekend! It’s debut is by far one of Sony Pictures Animation’s lowest-grossing debuts(although ahead of The Star), it’s 6-day total is even below the 3-day debut of The Smurfs 2. Sony has had some luck this year with Spider-Man(technically Disney but it’s Sony), Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, A Dogs Way Home,Escape Room, and The Intruder. But not for this one, look for Angry Birds 2 to fall short of it’s predecessor’s opening weekend. 

Scary Stories played normal for a horror film. It’s turnout is quite strong and should perform between $50-$55 million if not close to $60 million domestic.

47 Meters Down Uncaged debuted just below its predecessor. But probably will not play as well as the first film did two years ago, look for Uncaged to finish less than half of its predecessor. 

Dora got smashed in its second weekend, while it’s average. It will likely play ok for the next few weeks. $60 million maybe a struggle for Dora.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood had one of the best holds in the top 10 this weekend! As other counter programmers have died, Hollywood has proven to be a late summer profit. Look for Hollywood to shine  around $130 million or so.

Blinded By The Light bombed this weekend as it wasn’t born to run at the box office this weekend. One of the big problems with this one, was that marketing and tv spots weren’t appealing enough to bring people into cinemas. This is the kind of film that people would wait for streaming or cable anymore nowadays. But this also would’ve been a film even in 1999 would’ve underperformed as well, so no need to bring up how people don’t go to the theaters for good movies anymore. 

Art of racing in the rain had an alright hold out. But should slightly outgross Kevin Costner’s Black & White. 

Where’d You Go Bernadette will be what people would be saying on these forums in a few days about this film. This was switched around release dates a lot, I remember this was going to be released the same weekend as Halloween last fall. This will probably be one of the top two duds that may put United Artists back in the coffin probably. 

Edited by Maxmoser3
  • Like 2