Sheikh

Weekend Thread - Good Boys 21.4m OW, other openers not worth mentioning

About 90% of video game movies feel like they come out way too late compared to their height in popularity, but this feels especially true for Angry Birds 2. When the first movie came out in 2016, it already felt like most kids were losing interest in the series. But now, in a post-Fortnite society? I don't even think kids know what an Angry Bird is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeadShot said:

Nice to see a movie displaying masculinity and teaching boys to be profane and funny doing so well.Its about time they promote this type of behaviour after its been so long since The Hangover. 

Sounds great, got to see it.  Thanks for the review!

14 minutes ago, cookie said:

They could always go up since it's still Friday afternoon on the East Coast, but jeez those numbers for Dora and Angry Birds are not looking good — neither does the other non-Good Boys openers.

Not going up much. The weekend numbers are in line with Wed projections

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Eric! said:

Angry Birds 2 is seeing $8.7M in 4th place which would bring its 6-day total to $14.4M.

Jesus Christ. The 125 WW scenario I had in mind on Tuesday might be too optimistic. 

15 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The thing is, it isn't like there's no ROOM at the box office for Dora and Angry Birds, which makes their performances all the more perplexing (especially given how they are both apparently much better than they have any right to be). 

To be fair, I think a big issue is just how much money families spent this summer. Lion King, Toy Story, and Aladdin's domestic totals combined were higher than Incredibles 2's worldwide gross, and Lion King and Toy Story still have some more money left in them. Pikachu and Pets both also did around 145-155M each, which is still a lot of money, even if they may have underperformed. Not even mentioning Marvel here. At this point, I think most parents would rather focus on getting their kids ready for school instead of catching another movie.

Edited by Eric!
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Avatree said:

The act of trying to enjoy Godzilla: King of the Monsters. now that is a true nightmare.

I love the movie to pieces and i dont care for your opinion. Lets move on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eric! said:

To be fair, I think a big issue is just how much money families spent this summer. Lion King, Toy Story, and Aladdin's domestic totals combined were higher than Incredibles 2's worldwide gross, and Lion King and Toy Story still have some more money left in them. Pikachu and Pets both also did around 145-155M each, which is still a lot of money, even if they may have underperformed. Not even mentioning Marvel here. At this point, I think most parents would rather focus on getting their kids ready for school instead of catching another movie.

I think someone was mentioning when we would see the 1st 100% increase on Tuesday...I think Angry Birds 2 could be a good 1st candidate...even more 1st days of school Monday is gonna lead to a very low Monday gross...and the slight Fandango deal plus cheap Tuesday just might get it done...

PS - Regal's subscription plan excluded families just like the rest...so it's more and more of an effect on one-off mental purchasing thoughts (ie - I can see all this for "free", but I gotta pay $14 to bring my 1 kid to see this...yeah, I'll pass and rent it from Amazon for $2 next month...or maybe Amazon and Netflix will post it for me:)...the only "kid" movies going high are the ones that are NOT kid movies...Toys 4 - huge adult base...Aladdin - huger adult base...Supers - hugest adult base...adults feel a little better paying to bring junior vs a babysitter for something the adult likes...but wasting the time for the kid movie - nah!

Movie theaters better figure this out soon, b/c the effect this year has been gargantuan...even going back to the winter/spring movies...either they are gonna have to not skew movies to kids (thereby ruining their future fan base and bringing their own destruction), or get family subscription plans, or maybe rethink pricing for these movies...PG and G movies for $5 all day everyday could be a thing:)...

PS - AMC's are now doing a concession kid deal for Angry Birds...and Atom is doing BOGO for Blinded by the Light...very last minute promotion to Blinded to try to bring anyone out...maybe it works for an extra million...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Good Boys is looking to pull in more cash probably later on in the evening. It’s a night film not a matinee movie. Maybe on a Saturday and Sunday matinee but not a Friday. R-rated comedies haven’t seen anything positive in what feels like a long time.

the other new released ouch what happened? Angry Birds 2 is debuting horrible for a sequel. When was the last time a sequel to a $100 million film have a massive decrease? Analyze That? Airplane 2: The Sequel? Porkys II: The Next Day? Basic Instinct 2?

Blinded By The Light flopping is no surprise. Warner Bros has been in bad luck for the past few months. 

Random stuff: Rest In Peace Peter Fonda, and multiple films have ended their runs such as Shaft, Dark Phoenix, and Detective Pikachu Yesterday. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eric! said:

That was our situation. My oldest (6),expressed interest in Dora, but we've had 3 family outings to the theatre this summer, and didn't feel like a fourth. Last year, during this stretch, kids talked us into to taking them to Teen Titans Go, but at that point, they'd only seen Incredibles 2 by that point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

The thing is, it isn't like there's no ROOM at the box office for Dora and Angry Birds, which makes their performances all the more perplexing (especially given how they are both apparently much better than they have any right to be). 

Dora the Explorer probably peaked in the mid-aughts as a thing so they probably made her a high school girl to appeal to kids who grew up watching the show. The problem is that Dora the cartoon series is made for children ages 1-4 and isn't really the kind of property that either sparks a ton of lingering nostalgia in tweens/teens or ever had much appeal to adults. The movie is better than an extremely repetitive animated show for toddlers has a right to be, but that's not enough to make a Dora movie a WOM phenomenon.

Angry Birds as a craze was already kind of passe when the first one was released, the studio got lucky before. Not surprising the bubble burst with a sequel three years later, they might have been better off latching onto a newer craze in the interim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Angry Birds as a craze was already kind of passe when the first one was released, the studio got lucky before. Not surprising the bubble burst with a sequel three years later, they might have been better off latching onto a newer craze in the interim.

They were planning to release a Fortnite movie, but Marvel beat them to the punch ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Right now Olivia Wilde is crying in her martini.  Good Boys is going to make more than Booksmart in 4 days.  They kind of have similar looks and feels and marketing.  And yet GB is going to do so much better.  Glad to see an original film break out.  

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Right now Olivia Wilde is crying in her martini.  Good Boys is going to make more than Booksmart in 4 days.  They kind of have similar looks and feels and marketing.  And yet GB is going to do so much better.  Glad to see an original film break out.  

New Line just won a bidding war for Olivia's next movie. She'll be fine.

Edited by Eric!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

That seems like a heavy indictment of gender roles in our society.

• Like 3