Sheikh

Weekend Thread - Good Boys 21.4m OW, other openers not worth mentioning

I2 is now lapping TLK by a weekend

I2 #5-6

Jul 13–15 4 $16,262,898 -42.7% 3,705 -408 $4,389 $535,861,390 5
Jul 20–22 5 $11,895,063 -26.9% 3,164 -541 $3,760 $557,710,503 6

TLK #5

3 The Lion King $11,700,000 -42% 3,560 -660 $3,287 $495,907,985 5 Walt Disney Pictures

Edited by a2k
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

17 hours ago, CJohn said:

Probably to try and spread good WOM before the weekend arrives.

Yeh I knew the horror websites posted rave reviews last night, but just realised there that it’s 100% on Rotten Tomatoes so far including reviews from top critics like Time Out, Variety, THR. 

It seems a shame its being dumped. Even I had never heard of it until last week. Estimated count is 2,300. Disney seem to be dumping these Fox acquisitions now after a few flops in a row. 

• Like 1

new - 12.1 - Angel Has Fallen - 12.1

new - 9.0 - Ready or Not - 11.0

-55% - 9.0 - Good Boy - 36.0

-40% - 8.0 - Hobbes & Shaw - 146.5

-31% - 8.0 - The Lion King - 501.2

-40% - 6.0 - Angry Birds 2 - 20.1

-50% - 5.0 - Scary Stories - 50.0

-45% - 5.0 - Dora the Explorer - 43.7

-38% - 4.5 - … Hollywood - 122.0

-50% - 4.2 - 47 Meters Down - 12.5

-50% - 1.4 - Spider-Man 2 - 379.5

new - 0.9 - Overcomer - 0.9

Edited by 2010s Painkiller Race
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, narniadis said:

Also, as for lack of discussion, this particular sub area of the board has been slow overall the entire summer. When there are significant numbers of threads on page 1 showing last post at 12+ hours, the traffic is just not what it used to be. And that carries over to the weekend discussions. 

in part maybe also bcs access to BOT is wonky for a few here in between, even if only for a short time per case. After a few of those e.g. me does something else, in the hope later it gets more fluid again.

I think too it is more quiet in general - was only about %

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I'll keep beating this drum - TIERED Pricing.  If these smaller scope/budgeted films were priced anywhere from 50-65% of a currently priced ticket then more people would see them in the theater instead of waiting to see it at home.

My son and I went to see Good Boys today and are planning to go see Once Upon a Time, Ready or Not, the Spider-Man expansion, and Scary Stories, at the very least, over the next two weeks.

This is after many years of going to the movies for big event films only.  What changed?  We just bought the Regal Unlimited passes.  In NYC, a movie ticket is at least $15.  Two movies in, and we will be getting every one after that for 50 cents a ticket.

You are 100% right. You cannot expect people to pay the same amount of money for vastly different experiences.  Tiered pricing is another great solution, especially since not everyone is going to go to the movies frequently enough to justify a subscription.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I’m not sure how to view Blinded by the Light’s number, I never expect it to do huge business but WB didn’t promote it in the US nor spend much on it so maybe they see it more as a title for HBO Max. 

Good Boys is a good film although I do worry about Jacob Tremblay as he’s made a name for himself but Hollywood is never kind to child actor once they hit puberty 

I think being third this summer after Rocketman and Yesterday couldn't have helped Blinded by the Light in the Great Jukebox Musical  Faceoff of 2019. Like, if there had been a third sort of "concert drama" last December after A Star Is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody, it probably would have underperformed. Mary Poppins Returns was a different sort of thing, not really in competition with those two, maybe some of the predictions were too much, but it missed expectations. There's a market for musicals/dramas with music but it's not like 70-80 years ago, it's not an endless audience.

With Hollywood and child actors hitting puberty, movies/TV make things with younger kids, but a lot of the stuff with teens in high school uses 18+ actors instead because they can work longer and are past awkward phases. Disney/Nickelodeon shows use real teens, but they generally like to make their own stars out of unknowns (and are not without their own issues). So someone who's broken out in movies as a kid is in a weird in-between as adolescence hits. 

The child actors good at drama, sometimes they are just advanced for their age, like the 6'2'' seventh grader who is amazing at basketball. They have tools that others their age don't, so they stand out. But as they become teens/young adults, other people have caught up/surpassed their abilities.

Hollywood's also about appearances, the adorable kid doesn't always grow up to have movie star looks, so they get shoved aside that way, too. For that awards season with Room, Jacob's parents attended the awards shows with him of course, and all these awards watchers were losing their minds over his father, he got dubbed the Hot Dad :) :

But genetics are funny and famous kids can burn out, or not, it can go either way, really. 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

Good Boys was quite a decent time at the movies. Probably my second favorite comedy of the year after Long Shot. Glad it's doing relatively well.

But my God, are we in the doldrums now... Obviously IT will be big regardless, but a quiet few weeks might help even more, especially on the walk-up side (if it gets good reviews, people that might not necessarily have gone for its OW, would check it out, especially after weeks of nothing but unappealing stuff).