sfran43

Thursday Numbers 8/15

https://deadline.com/2019/08/good-boys-hobbs-shaw-47-meters-down-uncaged-scary-stories-weekend-box-office-1202669605/

Sony is hoping for $16M-$17M from Angry Birds Movie 2 for the Friday-Sunday stretch. Since Tuesday, the animated pic has made $5.7M, with $1.4M yesterday (-17% from Wednesday), ranked 4th for the day behind Hobbs & Shaw ($2M, $119.6M running cume), Lion King ($1.95M, $484.2M cume), and Scary Stories ($1.69M, $30.1M first week). Sony’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was 5th with $1.3M, and a running total in week 3 of $106.7M, while Paramount’s Dora and the Lost City of Gold in 6th pulled in an estimated $1.22M ending its first week with $25.4M.

• Like 2

Anabelle3 jumped 82% on Friday from Thu in June after Wed od.

AB2 should be able to do much better in Aug with it's demo and Tue od, no?

1.43 Thu

3.15 (+120%)

5.05 (+60%)

3.55 (-30%)

= 11.75

Still seems pathetic. Maybe Sat bump will be bigger.

Edited by a2k

I just checked The Numbers and the estimate for FFH is 515K, so I don’t think it will make it to 400M. Will probably reach 390 though. Still a massive success and first Spidey movie to pass 1B. Awesome!!! I just don’t understand why Sony and theater chains decided to drop its theater count by so much. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Eric! said:

Sony is hoping for $16M-$17M from Angry Birds Movie 2 for the Friday-Sunday stretch.

that seems super optimistic

26 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I just checked The Numbers and the estimate for FFH is 515K, so I don’t think it will make it to 400M. Will probably reach 390 though. Still a massive success and first Spidey movie to pass 1B. Awesome!!! I just don’t understand why Sony and theater chains decided to drop its theater count by so much. 

on the plus side, it officially passed Spidey 2 for the second biggest Spidey movie DOM, right?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

BRIAN BANKS
$139K Thursday
$3.04M Total (North America)

losing theaters in week 2, this movie is done for

that said, I have 2 comments and then 1 question:

1) I suspect that a limited market rollout would have resulted in even less money. If the movie is not going to catch on, it's not going to catch on. Going as wide as possible probably made as much money as possible.

2) I suspect they spent a lot more on P+A than they would have if it got a limited expansion release.

Is that how movies work?