cannastop

D23 Expo 2019 Aug 23-25 | DONE

'Ms. Marvel' Series in the Works for Disney+ (Exclusive)

by Borys Kit, Lesley Goldberg
The show will center on Marvel's first Muslim superhero to star in her own comic book title.

Sara Pichelli/Marvel Entertainment

The show will center on Marvel's first Muslim superhero to star in her own comic book title.

With Captain Marvel flying high in on the big-screen, Marvel Studios is now focusing its other marvelous heroine, Ms. Marvel.

Marvel is developing a live-action series for Disney+, its upcoming streaming service, based on its acclaimed comic Ms. Marvel, hiring British writer Bisha K. Ali to write and act as showrunner. Ali is a comedian who is currently a staff writer on Hulu’s remake of Four Weddings and a Funeral.

The show may be announced during Friday’s Disney+ presentation. Marvel had no comment.

Ms. Marvel as a comic and heroine has existed since 1976, with the character Carol Danvers using the name for her crime-fighting escapades. Several other characters have briefly taken up the mantle and Danvers herself became Captain Marvel in 2012.

The latest incarnation, and the one the show will be focusing on, is a teenager named Kamela Khan. Khan broke ground by becoming Marvel’s first Muslim character to be lead her own comics title. Her identity as a Pakistani American, living in a religious family in New Jersey whilst trying to find her own way, have been a major focus of the stories. Her powers have been described as polymorphous, meaning she has the ability to stretch and change her shape.

The comic has appeared on numerous year-end top 10 lists and won a Hugo Award for best graphic story in 2015.

No timetable has been set for the show and it unclear whether the show will fit into the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe. Marvel is developing several other shows for the streamer that will be tied to the MCU. These include The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, to debut in late 2020; WandaVision, to debut in spring 2021; Loki, also for early 2021; and Hawkeye, for late 2021. 

Ali is repped by CAA.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 8
  • Astonished 2

2 minutes ago, Eric! said:

...why not just do it as a movie?

Could be as a setup for Captain Marvel 2 or whatever the next Avengers is going to be. The D+ series are going to tie directly to the films.

Edited by cookie

4 minutes ago, Eric! said:

...why not just do it as a movie?

Because there are only so many movie slots in a year?  This is starting to become a major problem with all of the live action remakes, Marvel, and SW projects out there.  Not to mention animation and "traditional" movies, as well as Avatar sequels.

Plus, frankly, more content in a TV series than a movie.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Because there are only so many movie slots in a year?  This is starting to become a major problem with all of the live action remakes, Marvel, and SW projects out there.  Not to mention animation and "traditional" movies, as well as Avatar sequels.

Plus, frankly, more content in a TV series than a movie.

Also, who knows, maybe the pitch worked better in a long-form story.  Some stories are better suited for TV than the silver screen, after all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Disney + is gonna be great with all these shows, I’m really happy we’re getting it in Canada in November. 

Bye bye Netflix in November for me. I’ll keep Disney and my hbo till HBO max  comes out and keep my amazon prime cause I like the shows on there as well. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 4

NOOOOOOOO KEVIN WHAT THE EVER LOVING FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?!? KAMALA DESERVES A MOVIE. THIS BETTER BE LIKE WANDAVISION OR FALCON WHERE IT MEANS SHE JUMPS INTO THE MOVIES AFTER THE SERIES ENDS. 

🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, captainwondyful said:

NOOOOOOOO KEVIN WHAT THE EVER LOVING FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?!? KAMALA DESERVES A MOVIE. THIS BETTER BE LIKE WANDAVISION OR FALCON WHERE IT MEANS SHE JUMPS INTO THE MOVIES AFTER THE SERIES ENDS. 

🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪

The D+ shows seem to be coequal. I assume some characters will go show->movie->show->movie etc and some will go movie->show->movie and so on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

The D+ shows seem to be coequal. I assume some characters will go show->movie->show->movie etc and some will go movie->show->movie and so on.

I just. I have been WAITING for her movie since Captain Marvel was announced. I am gonna need a minute. 

• Like 2