cannastop

D23 Expo 2019 Aug 23-25 | DONE

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Disney the conglomerate is HUGE.

Disney's Market Cap: $240 billion

Comcast: $200 billion

AT&T: $255 billion.

Yeah it's "small" compared to Apple and Amazon, but with pretty much anyone else in the entertainment sphere they are titans. They are pretty easily the biggest solely-entertainment focused company in the world.

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Yeah it's "small" compared to Apple and Amazon, but with pretty much anyone else in the entertainment sphere they are titans. They are pretty easily the biggest solely-entertainment focused company in the world.

It's bigger or as big as conglomerates that don't just focus on entertainment.This isn't the early 00s when Comcast or whoever thought about buying them. Now Disney is bigger than Comcast.

Edited by cannastop

7 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I mean he’s right in that Disney while a dominant movie studio is very small compared to the giants that own WB, Universal, etc. Their cultural currency is so high that people assume they’re bigger than they are. 

agree

AT&T

Revenue IncreaseUS$170.756 billion (2018)
IncreaseUS$26.096 billion (2018)
IncreaseUS$19.953 billion (2018)
Total assets IncreaseUS$531 billion (2018)
Total equity IncreaseUS$193.884 billion (2018)[3]
Number of employees
273,210 (2018)[4]

Disney

Revenue IncreaseUS$59.434 billion (2018)
IncreaseUS$15.706 billion (2018)
IncreaseUS$12.598 billion (2018)
Total assets IncreaseUS$98.598 billion (2018)
Total equity IncreaseUS$52.832 billion (2018)
Number of employees
201,000 (September 30, 2018)

amazon

Revenue IncreaseUS$232.887 billion (2018)
IncreaseUS$12.421 billion (2018)
IncreaseUS$10.073 billion (2018)
Total assets DecreaseUS$162.648 billion (2018)
Total equity DecreaseUS$43.549 billion (2018)
Number of employees
Increase 647,500 (2018)

Comcast

Revenue IncreaseUS$94.507 billion (2018)[7]
IncreaseUS$19.009 billion (2018)[7]
IncreaseUS$11.731 billion (2018)[7]
Total assets IncreaseUS$251.68 billion (2018)[7]
Total equity IncreaseUS$71.613 billion (2018)[7]
Owner Roberts family (1% equity interest, 34% voting power)
Number of employees
184,000 (December 2018)[7]

Apple

Revenue IncreaseUS$265.595 billion[1] (2018)
IncreaseUS$70.898 billion[1] (2018)
IncreaseUS$59.531 billion[1] (2018)
Total assets DecreaseUS$365.725 billion[1] (2018)
Total equity DecreaseUS$107.147 billion[1] (2018)
Number of employees
132,000[2] (2018)

per revenue

#1 Walmart

Revenue IncreaseUS$514.405 billion (2019)[3]
IncreaseUS$21.957 billion (2019)[3]
DecreaseUS$6.67 billion (2019)[3]
Total assets IncreaseUS$219.295 billion (2019)[3]
Total equity DecreaseUS$79.634 billion (2019)[3]
Owner Walton family (51%)
Number of employees
  • 2.2 million, Worldwide (2018)[3]
  • 1.5 million, U.S. (2017)[4]
  • 700,000, International

#2 China Petrochemical Corporation

Headquarters ,
Area served
China
Key people
Dai Houliang (Chairman)
Services Holding company of oil and gas companies
DecreaseCN¥ 31,898,180,000 (2014)
Total assets IncreaseCN¥ 2,228,366,180,000 (2014)
Total equity IncreaseCN¥ 735,566,950,000 (2014)

#3 is a Dutch/UK gas & oil company, #4 a Chinese electricity company, the next 3 again gas & oil in Saudi Arabia, BP, and Exxon, then follows Volkswagen, Toyota, Apple, Berkshire Hathaway, Amazon, UnitedHealth, Samsung, ....

At&T is at #25, with neither Comcast nor Disney being part of the top 50 list.

My bets for this D23 expo: 

- WDAS update with titles for movies on 2020 and 2021 and maybe (fingers crossed) a Zootopia 2 announcement. 

- Marvel Phase 4 update with release dates for Fantastic Four and Blade and more info on already announced films. 

- More information on Onward and Soul from Pixar and maybe future projects. 

- All Disney+ stuff (Lady and the Tramp and Mandalorian trailer, etc). 

- News on Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker and future movies. 

but what I would really like would be for WDAS to confirm their first movie with an LGBT character as the main lead (one can dream). 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, cannastop said:

What the hell? Is this connected to German internet privacy laws?

European laws

8 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Now I want Jon Favreau to announce he's opening an eight-seat Ramen bar at the end of a panel. 

Tampopo is a great movie :bravo:

Out of the long quote:

I can see RDJ as a director, if it wont take him away from his family. Not sure if Favereau sees that with the same % as me 😉 But he knows him, me not.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cannastop said:

What the hell? Is this connected to German internet privacy laws?

This happens a lot. Europe has strict data laws and in 2018 a new set of laws came into place, which companies using online data had to adapt to. Many American news websites have not bothered to adapt to suit European laws, therefore they have made their websites inaccessible in European countries.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, AN9815 said:

My bets for this D23 expo: 

- WDAS update with titles for movies on 2020 and 2021 and maybe (fingers crossed) a Zootopia 2 announcement

- Marvel Phase 4 update with release dates for Fantastic Four and Blade and more info on already announced films. 

- More information on Onward and Soul from Pixar and maybe future projects. 

- All Disney+ stuff (Lady and the Tramp and Mandalorian trailer, etc). 

- News on Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker and future movies. 

but what I would really like would be for WDAS to confirm their first movie with an LGBT character as the main lead (one can dream). 

Can't we just like a movie without wanting a sequel? Zootopia was so good because it was original, and while I loved it, I'm okay if we don't get a sequel to it, as WDAS will be able to focus on many more original films, like Zootopia was. It's okay to love something, but also not have a need to see it continued, and judging by recent slightly lackluster sequels from Pixar and WiR2, I'm not sure they'll be able to recapture the magic. Frozen 2 will be a test for me. If it disappoints me, I'm done with their sequels. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

Can't we just like a movie without wanting a sequel? Zootopia was so good because it was original, and while I loved it, I'm okay if we don't get a sequel to it, as WDAS will be able to focus on many more original films, like Zootopia was. It's okay to love something, but also not have a need to see it continued, and judging by recent slightly lackluster sequels from Pixar and WiR2, I'm not sure they'll be able to recapture the magic. Frozen 2 will be a test for me. If it disappoints me, I'm done with their sequels. 

Well, I just really like the characters from Zootopia. Why wouldn't I want more of it?

1 hour ago, Titan Man said:

Do you realize how hard it is to create a world and characters that people love on a mainstream level ?

Ask Brad Bird.

Edited by The Futurist

16 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well, I just really like the characters from Zootopia. Why wouldn't I want more of it?

Well, of course you can, but these recent WDAS and Pixar sequels are turning to be quite corporate-looking. Finding Dory, Incredibles 2, WiR2, all good movies, but none of them reached or surpassed the quality of the originals. IMO, a sequel is justified only if the story is better than the original, and when that's not the case, you just have to enjoy the films you already have and wait for some other new property to love.