cannastop

D23 Expo 2019 Aug 23-25 | DONE

4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I think it makes sense to put the movie where it has the most room to breathe. Marvel has proven it can make money in Feb and March. 

Marvel has too many characters. (As proven by all the names we've heard both yesterday and today.)

They need to loan some more to Sony.

And seriously, they probably need to go all in and go for 4 movies a year.

Just now, kitik said:

And seriously, they probably need to go all in and go for 4 movies a year.

Worst idea. Vehemently against this. Vehemently. I think three is pushing it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

They’re releasing BP2 in May, even though the first one was released in February, so I don’t see why they’d feel obligated to release CM2 in February. That seems more like a date they’d reserve for a newcomer like Blade. 

No one said they're obligated.  I just think they'll go with what worked last time for Captain Marvel. 

(Then again, they're moving Black Panther, so...)

And I don't see Blade anywhere other than late summer or fall, no matter which year. 

New Line released only one out of the three previous Blades in the winter time frame in the U.S. (Blade I: Aug, Blade II: March, Blade III: Dec.) ...so the character itself has that small precedent...  (Well, Blade II was March, but it always felt like a 'winter' film to me, for some reason, its Prague-setting and all.)

But these are totally different circumstances now, different studios, different creatives, different global market... and of course a different (likely PG-13) Blade. 

Edited by Macleod

4 minutes ago, Macleod said:

No one said they're obligated.  I just think they'll go with what worked last time. 

And I don't see Blade anywhere other than late summer or fall, no matter which year. 

Having said that...New Line released two out of the three previous Blades in the winter time frame in the U.S. (Blade I: Aug, Blade II: Feb, Blade III: Dec.) ...so the character itself has that precedent, interestingly...  but these are totally different circumstances now, different studios, different creatives, different global market... and of course a different (likely PG-13) Blade. 

They aren’t going with what worked last time for Black Panther or Doctor Strange.

As for the Blade movie, why do you see it being released in the late Summer? 

Edited by WittyUsername

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Why do you see it being released in the late Summer? 

The July 22 date is late, almost August (and could be pushed there, eventually).  If I were at Marvel/Disney and planning (I'm not, unfortunately), that's where I'd put Blade.  The first Blade in 1998 did very well, there.  But the sequel did even better in March three years later.  So I know I'm self-defeating.

Just my gut feeling.  Would work best as a late summer or fall darker action film. 

5 minutes ago, kitik said:

That poor, sad weekend thread is just barely on page 5.

Meanwhile this one's closing in on 60. (And it's been 99% on-topic too, almost no off-tangent stuff.)

Makes sense. This thread actually has interesting things to talk about.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Warner better step up 

They actually came in last Variety's summer grading poll if you don't count the Fox movies that Disney inherited separate FWIW (even behind Paramount even though they put out only three movies but that's because none of their titles sold as few tickets as the likes of The Sun is Also a Star/Shaft/The Kitchen/Blinded by the Light did). Universal seems to be the one going strong the most among non-Disney studios this year while Sony is about to have a great fourth quarter.

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

So no SW movie announcements past IX? 

Interesting they didn't bring anyone from Shang Chi to this either. 

Hawkeye got skipped last night too.

Little Mermaid and Artemis Fowl also got skipped. Suffice it to say, Disney just had too much to talk about. 

You can only announce so many things. If they made a million other announcements, all of their news would start overshadowing each other. Heck, it may already be at that point. They'd only be stealing the spotlight from themselves.

I actually thought yesterday's presentation was a lot more interesting and surprising than today's, especially in the Marvel department. The only interesting stuff from today for me was Soul and Jungle Cruise. The rest only had a little bit of new information (SW TROS, Black Panther 2, and Frozen 2) or don't look so interesting (pretty much everything I didn't mention above).