Jason

Top 100 Movies of the 1970s - October 6th is deadline

44 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Consider being a teen and watching them today vs everything you've already seen.  With one being shot on a low budget and the other 2 relying on a lot of effects, you might just not be wowed...

When I was in film school one of my best friends in our class had never seen Star Wars. We legit all got together and forced him to see it — he was not wow’d. At all. Thought it was hokey and the special effects were bad. We tried to explain the historical context. He didn’t care. 

PS - And if I submit a list, mine would also probably draw jeers b/c Monty Python won't be anywhere near mine...in any form:)...

What? People have different tastes? /in Claude Rains voice: “I am shocked. Shocked.”

Edited by captainwondyful
Explain not example lol
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Consider being a teen and watching them today vs everything you've already seen.  With one being shot on a low budget and the other 2 relying on a lot of effects, you might just not be wowed...

Not saying I agree, but I can totally see my teens making lists of the 70's movies they've watched that would bear little resemblance to what I'd consider the quality movies of the decade.  

PS - And if I submit a list, mine would also probably draw jeers b/c Monty Python won't be anywhere near mine...in any form:)...

But the way you are saying it, your saying it like they are putting it up against films from this era. All films from the 1970s have that grainy look with different kind of special effects. I'm saying that there are people who actually say that there are 100 films from the 1970s that they have seen that are better than jaws and Star Wars. That I just find hard to believe. It's not like we're doing a list for the history of film......that I would understand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, baumer said:

But the way you are saying it, your saying it like they are putting it up against films from this era. All films from the 1970s have that grainy look with different kind of special effects. I'm saying that there are people who actually say that there are 100 films from the 1970s that they have seen that are better than jaws and Star Wars. That I just find hard to believe. It's not like we're doing a list for the history of film......that I would understand.

Yeah, but they may see other movies hold up better...like dramas or animations, as examples, since they don't rely on special effects:).  

PS - And it's a matter of expectations...everyone tells you something's amazing before you see it, and then you see it and think, but it's not...you'll probably grade a film lower than the reverse situation...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, baumer said:

I'm saying that there are people who actually say that there are 100 films from the 1970s that they have seen that are better than jaws and Star Wars.

It's possible to submit a list much shorter than 100 films (minimum is 10). So maybe the people who excluded Star Wars and Jaws didn't actually imply that there are 100 films from the 70s they have seen that are better. :ph34r:

• Like 4

I'm just saying, that for example, even though The exorcist is not really my thing, I cannot keep it off of my list.  It will be down around number 80, but still, on a list of 100 best films, I can't say there are 100 films better./

• Like 2

On 9/10/2019 at 12:50 PM, baumer said:

Am I not understand this correctly? You're saying that no film has appeared on all six lists? So you are telling me that somebody has actually kept Star Wars and Jaws off of their list? How can you be a fan of films and not have those films listed in your top 100?

Jaws is not on my list.  :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

but still, on a list of 100 best films, I can't say there are 100 films better

sometimes its not about better, sometimes its about if you click with the story or not. E.g. I do not click with Jaws neither (saw it in a drive-in cinema a bit after its initial release), to me its a bit boring story-depth wise, never understood why others love it so much (but I've seen it in German, sometimes dubbing can take away a lot) = not sure how to word that.

Someone mentioned having seen 200+ movies out of that time, in case that was based on my list on page 2, I've seen far more, those on said list are the ones I might add on my list as being at least medium quality in my POV, or it was then considered a 'must see' for a lot of people (where I add not my thing = I did not agree to that take) or certain ages or....

= only meant as a help see release year at IMDb, less work to look it up for others or as a reminder.

edit to add:

I still plan to do my list, but it takes time, time is short here for the moment, I hope for next week

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

On 9/11/2019 at 12:55 AM, TalismanRing said:

Love Among The Ruins

I think at least the 'a.k.a.'-entries might be for their TV releases as the German title is added beside 'Filmdienst' (= ~ film service) says it never had a theatrical release here

Not sure about the countries where a release date got added, there Germany is not listed

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073310/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ov_inf

Question: was there a theatrical release in your country?

Denmark @tawasal do you know a source?

Spain @peludo do you know a source?

Portugal @CJohn do you know a source?

I know we have members from Sweden and Turkey too, but an not remember their actual user names

Edited by terrestrial
wrong word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Star Wars has more issues than just its special effects. Some of the acting is poor, the theme is just your average good v evil, and the force is a not particularly interesting form of magic. I'm sure that there are 100 films better than it from the 70's unless the decade is unusually weak, and from what I have seen so far that is not the case.

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

Well I guess I will never understand how anybody can think there are 100 better films in the 70s then jaws and Star Wars but then again this is coming from a guy who hates citizen Kane with a passion. So I guess I should just keep my opinions to myself LOL

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well I guess I will never understand how anybody can think there are 100 better films in the 70s then jaws and Star Wars but then again this is coming from a guy who hates citizen Kane with a passion. So I guess I should just keep my opinions to myself LOL

If you can find 100 1940s movies better than Citizen Kane, I'll be surprised. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, cannastop said:

If you can find 100 1940s movies better than Citizen Kane, I'll be surprised. :ph34r:

Every movie made in the 40's is better than Citizen Kane.  

My high school movie made for $57.00 is better than Citizen Kane.  

• Haha 4

On 8/21/2019 at 12:47 AM, cannastop said:

Just a reminder that Hayao MIyazaki made a feature in the 1970s, if you want to vote for it.

dvd-and-bluray-bluray-castle-of-cagliost

Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro

This is in my top 3 love the movie and it still holds up quite well watched on Netflix about a year ago.

Also seeing as we are giving shout outs Kurosawa wasn’t too prolific during the 70s but Dersu Uzala is a pretty great character driven film of his, another is the other George Lucas film that came out in the 70s American Graffiti which to me is pretty dope. 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 9/11/2019 at 2:54 PM, baumer said:

So you have seen 100 movies in the 1970s that you think are better than Jaws? 😠

I haven't seen 100 movies from the 1970s. <_< only 47. and I find 34 Better than Jaws. Yeah sorry, there are two universally acclaimed classics, that while I don't think they are bad per say I just don't feel them like most people. Jaws and E.T. but it has been a long time since I've seen either. 

• Like 3

On 9/11/2019 at 6:50 PM, baumer said:

Every movie made in the 40's is better than Citizen Kane.  

My high school movie made for $57.00 is better than Citizen Kane.  

Citizen Kane is kind of boring and overrated. but it is technically a pretty well made film, why do you hate it so?

1. Deer Hunter
  2. Alien
  3. God Father Part II
  4. God Father Part I
  5. Mirror
  6. Apocalypse Now
  7. Clockwork Orange
  8. Star Wars
  9. Life of Brian
  10. Jaws
  11. Ali: Fear Eats Soul
  12. Scenes From a Marriage