Jason

Top 100 Movies of the 1970s - October 6th is deadline

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

😬

can't see the reaction. its empty, so just in case:

I do not like all stories of all movies or books .... , or some bore me or other reasons I do not click.

Manhatten I do not like at all storywise and other reasons, but its good enough craftmanship to end on a 'possibility' list, no?

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

can't see the reaction. its empty, so just in case:

I do not like all stories of all movies or books .... , or some bore me or other reasons I do not click.

Manhatten I do not like at all storywise and other reasons, but its good enough craftmanship to end on a 'possibility' list, no?

It was a grimace emoji because Manhattan has some weird subject matter.

• Thanks 1

Just now, cannastop said:

It was a grimace emoji because Manhattan has some weird subject matter.

hence why I do not click with it (not the only reason, but .... )

Thought it should be on a list that might help save same time for some (e.g. to not have to look up release years, all on that list are out of 1970-1979), even if it wont end on my list (shudder)

13 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Is that The Duellists?

No, Duel (1971), Steven Spielberg's first film (one of his very best). in fact if you set aside the Indiana Jones films, Duel is his best film imo.

if you haven't seen it, it's a very simple chase film, in which a man driving across counties is pursued by an anonymous truck driver

screen-shot-2016-10-25-at-8-53-52-pm.png

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Can anyone recommend some films for me to check out before the submission deadline?

manhattan

eraserhead

the devils

the beguiled

claire's knee

alice in the cities

jeanne dielman 23 quay de commerce 1080 bruxelles

• Like 2

I have limited 1970s movie but there are 3 films that I really want to place them in!

Amarcord by Fellini, the best Italian movie ever to me, only to be matched Cinema Paradiso

Apocalypse now. This is the best war film, not saving private Ryan 

Taxi Driver, Martin Scoresese should have won Oscar for this, not some sub-par remake like The Deaparted

• Like 2

I saw Apocalypse Now for the first time in the cinema last week, I don't know how it compares to the original cut but at least what I saw, was incredible. If it weren't for Star Wars, that would probably take #1 for me. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

No, Duel (1971), Steven Spielberg's first film (one of his very best). in fact if you set aside the Indiana Jones films, Duel is his best film imo.

if you haven't seen it, it's a very simple chase film, in which a man driving across counties is pursued by an anonymous truck driver

screen-shot-2016-10-25-at-8-53-52-pm.png

Thank you a lot

Not sure, something looks familiar.

As at the time that one got aired here (maybe a repeat of a repeat airing?) I tinkered then already at my moto cycle and later on cars too, I think that might be the one driving me nuts as any car should be by far faster than any truck, especially such kind of truck.

But there are more than one movie with a truck and a slow car = not sure

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Something I am curious about is that I'm wondering if people will put classic movies on their list, like the godfather's or The Exorcist, even though they might not have seen them. I really hope that is not the case. I hope these lists are honest and if you have not seen a movie don't put it on your list.

I would never include a film I haven't seen (what would be the point of that?), but I do try to watch the most famous films, so they will be on my list.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Thank you a lot

Not sure, something looks familiar.

As at the time that one got aired here (maybe a repeat of a repeat airing?) I tinkered then already at my moto cycle and later on cars too, I think that might be the one driving me nuts as any car should be by far faster than any truck, especially such kind of truck.

But there are more than one movie with a truck and a slow car = not sure

it works in the context of the film.

But yeah that can be annoying, I personally find it annoying when cop cars keep on the tail of sports cars in crime/heist films.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Just a reminder that Hayao MIyazaki made a feature in the 1970s, if you want to vote for it.

dvd-and-bluray-bluray-castle-of-cagliost

Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro

Before the last animation list I watched all the Miyazaki's, so this will be on my list.

• Like 2

The '70 had quite some iconic movies

Alien, Rocky, Godfather (I rate them far lower than IMDb btw), and Mad Max should have some fans here too

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is also a cult movie in my POV, that was a very strange experience in the cinema, I laughed most at complete other scenes than the majority, means when the laughed, I didn't, when I laughed, I was often the only one

A few started to laugh with me, as they started to understand why I laughed. One of the best cinema experience, as the discussion afterwards with then literally strangers went on over hours

Edited by terrestrial
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Something I am curious about is that I'm wondering if people will put classic movies on their list, like the godfather's or The Exorcist, even though they might not have seen them. I really hope that is not the case. I hope these lists are honest and if you have not seen a movie don't put it on your list.

I never seen Godfather 1 & II although both were screamed as one of the greatest among film community , don't judge.

I have seen Godfather III through. 

Also, exorcist and amarcord are the earliest film that I have watched, never seen any of the film came before 1973.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I never seen Godfather 1 & II although both were screamed as one of the greatest among film community , don't judge.

I have seen Godfather III through. 

Also, exorcist and amarcord are the earliest film that I have watched, never seen any of the film came before 1973.

Well that's interesting. When did you watch Amarcord? I personally heard of that movie from Sight & Sound polls.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Well that's interesting. When did you watch Amarcord? I personally heard of that movie from Sight & Sound polls.

Few years back in one of the movie sharing session, they pirated the movie and show it to the group. (Piracy is quite common here)

That was the the only Fellini movie that I have seen. And, I had a hard time to recognize its origin initially as spanish, french, portuguese all sound alike to me.      

34 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I saw Apocalypse Now for the first time in the cinema last week, I don't know how it compares to the original cut but at least what I saw, was incredible. If it weren't for Star Wars, that would probably take #1 for me. 

The original cut is flippin amazing too.  

• Like 2