baumer

Ready or Not (2019)

Grade it  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This was such a blast! Basically The Most Dangerous Game meets You're Next, Ready or Not is a diabolically hilarious time that'll leave you more than happy that your family almost certainly isn't anywhere nearly as fucked up as this clan. This works well as both an edge-of-your-seat thriller and as a dysfunctional family comedy (all of the aunt's silent death stares: :rofl:) and throws plenty of surprise curveballs along the way. Margot Robbie lookalike Samara Weaving makes for an awesome protagonist and proves herself to be a ruthless badass as things get progressively nuttier, while the other cast members who make up the family (which include Adam Brody, Andie MacDowell, and Henry Czernay) do well in their parts. It loses a bit of steam in the last third, but that doesn't take away from the fact this is a very fun way to conclude a summer that was low on movie highlights. B+

10 hours ago, Frozen said:

Also Alex’s turn made no sense. 

Did it, though? The aunt referred to earlier that she believed Alex would eventually stop fighting that he was destined to take over the family business (especially when the movie had already established that Adam Brody's character was also a "good son"), and once he saw that Grace no longer trusted him and was gonna divorce him because of all of that happened, regardless of whether the family curse was real or not, he figured he had nothing to lose by giving her up as a sacrifice (and thus becoming "who he really is").

• Like 1

I loved the look of this film.  The crazy mansion, the dresses and suits, the grounds.  It just felt refreshing and gave the movie it's own POV.  I pretty much agree with everything @filmlover said.  I also really appreciate the character work, and what they did with Alex and Grace -- where I was totally with them in he beginning, and then totally with her in the end. Just fun times.

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Did it, though? The aunt referred to earlier that she believed Alex would eventually stop fighting that he was destined to take over the family business (especially when the movie had already established that Adam Brody's character was also a "good son"), and once he saw that Grace no longer trusted him and was gonna divorce him because of all of that happened, regardless of whether the family curse was real or not, he figured he had nothing to lose by giving her up as a sacrifice (and thus becoming "who he really is").

Also she killed his mom, and he might have also assumed she killed Daniel (since Daniel wasn't able to say he helped Grace before he died and Grace did not say Daniel helped her after Alex said he was dead)

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Also she killed his mom, and he might have also assumed she killed Daniel (since Daniel wasn't able to say he helped Grace before he died and Grace did not say Daniel helped her after Alex said he was dead)

Yeah, that too. There's actually a few crumbs to Alex being the real rotten egg among the boys throughout the movie.

I loved that this wasn't afraid to go to see some really wacky places like the Looney Tunes-style manner in which the help kept getting killed (especially that one maid who kept moaning after an arrow went through her head until the aunt finally chopped her head off and the other maid who was crushed by the dumbwaiter). The discount Alison Brie sister being all coked out and messing up everything was also priceless. This family would probably be great acquaintances with the Roy clan from Succession.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrPink said:

Was Alex the kid who indicated where the groom was in the beginning of the movie? Or was it Daniel?

I think it was Daniel. I recall Adam Brody said he hid kid Daniel so he didn't have to see it.

6 hours ago, MrPink said:

Was Alex the kid who indicated where the groom was in the beginning of the movie? Or was it Daniel?

It was Daniel. His total indifference toward the hunt (and ultimately attempting to help Grace try and get away) makes sense as the guilt he feels for more or less helping out in the killing of his uncle (whose murder is what drove the aunt to becoming a bitter nutbag) the last time "hide and seek" was the game continues to haunt him well into adulthood.

48 minutes ago, Mr Pastaffelees said:

The film could have used a bit more character development from the family to really stick the landing, but damn I had a blast.

The ending utterly KILLED me. I never cackled so hard in a theatre.

That shot of Grace laughing maniacally while drenched in the whole family's blood as they're exploding after failing is gonna be a good gif to come in handy for certain weekend threads in the future. 

I loved this film full well expecting some unorthodox storytelling. the mad family, the secrets in the house, and a twist at the end. I was never sure which brother in the story matched with which brother from the prologue. I knew it would end back in that room where it all began. Onstar sucks worse than everyone's aim.  My favorite 'unexpected' moments: early on when the couple are in bed and the old grump is watching them, and when the bride slaps the boy who proved himself to a lower power.  

Saw this without having watched the trailers or anything, turned out to be a good decision as I had no clue what the movie was about. The trailers spoils too much. 

I had a blast with this movie. It was so much fun and so funny at times (especially with the maids). Samara Weaving was great in this and the rest of the cast was good too.