grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

On 12/2/2021 at 10:15 PM, CloneWars said:

I honestly think they gave up on their HBO MAX movies. If it's not a DC property, they just aren't going to promote it.

Anyway, I missed the original in theaters. I saw Reloaded and Revolutions on opening night. I'm a huge fan of the franchise, but I also truly stand by my potential $10M OW. Spider-Man is going to slaughter this and WB doesn't seem to be spending much ad money to spend this. I don't know a single person outside box office forums who even knows this is coming out. Maybe, I'm wrong. I guess I can see it doing double my $10M and getting $20M OW, but this film wasn't setup to succeed.

Look at that. And, people thought I was crazy for my $10m OW prediction

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

The ´´some people are pretending to like it because it´s different so it must be art´´ argument make me laugh so hard

Pretty much affirms that people who think wtf is this crap is obviously right no matter what argument they have but people who liked it is high, drunk or forcing themselves, lol

Damn, that’s crazy. People have different opinions on a film than you do, how terrible. You can have your reasons for disliking something that’s fine…but claiming anyone who liked it is drunk, high or lying to themselves? That’s so juvenile, pompous and far more cynical than anything in the actual movie!

Spoiler

Edit: I hit reply to the wrong message, meant to reply to the guy saying that actual stuff so I guess I'm just further affirming what you @ThomasNicole said against that ha.

Edited by TheDude391
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

This really is like a mini-TLJ isn’t it, being told I’m wrong for liking something is taking me right back to Christmas 2017 😂

I don't understand these TLJ comparisons that I'm seeing here and elsewhere, the similarities seem to began and end with "some people are gonna love this movie and a lot will hate it".   TLJ is aimlessly bad whereas The Matrix Resurrections is competently bad.  While watching The Matrix Resurrections I was never confused as to what the general idea and point of the movie was.  Its a movie about the

Spoiler

current state of the Hollywood machine and the movie going audiences they've created with more overtly queer themes and some shots at the disinformation/right wing conspiracy theory era we live in. 

Its a much more watchable film IMO, I just wish the movie was more focused and streamlined I think this could've been really good as a standalone movie.  As for the cinematography and action choreography, yes its lazy, so much so to the point that I feel Lana Wachowski didn't give a shit about that stuff at all and if she had her way, there wouldn't have been any big actions sequences at all.   When you think about it, its kinda amazing this movie got made.   If you wanna get extra meta, maybe Lana Wachowski deliberately sabotaged WB so they wouldn't make anymore Matrix films?  Like, did you guys see the after credits scene? Lmao

• Like 1

I think it's interesting that The Joker was seen as a dangerous call for mass shootings by the media, the same media that mostly praises Resurrections, whose message one could interpert as

"mental health professionals are trying to control and misguide you, mental health medicine blinds you to reality, 'normies' are just bots controlled by your enemies and can be killed with no compunction".

• Like 3

Rewatched this again last night to validate or correct my first viewing impressions and It sucked even more

something I picked up which I did not notice. I went WTF

Spoiler

discount Smith character just vanishes. he has no arc completion in this movie. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hasanahmad said:

Rewatched this again last night to validate or correct my first viewing impressions and It sucked even more

Reveal hidden contents

Dude, we get it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

25 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

Hide contents

discount Smith character just vanishes. he has no arc completion in this movie. 

That's actually a great point. I did feel like there was a few strings at the end missing.

24 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

Dude, we get it.

Not everyone spends all day on the forums my man, if the point has been made before and we haven't all seen it no need to get antsy with someone.

5 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

I think it's interesting that The Joker was seen as a dangerous call for mass shootings by the media, the same media that mostly praises Resurrections, whose message one could interpert as

Hide contents

"mental health professionals are trying to control and misguide you, mental health medicine blinds you to reality, 'normies' are just bots controlled by your enemies and can be killed with no compunction".

That's a superficial interpretation. Emily VenDerWerff gets it right here (spoilers): https://www.vox.com/culture/22847558/the-matrix-resurrections-4-spoilers-review-neo-therapy-mental-health-trauma

29 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

That's a superficial interpretation. Emily VenDerWerff gets it right here (spoilers): https://www.vox.com/culture/22847558/the-matrix-resurrections-4-spoilers-review-neo-therapy-mental-health-trauma

It's the obvious interpretation, hence the most surface-level. As to your article, that is the most self-obsessed author I've ever came across, and she doesn't really refute the obvious interpretation.

Dismissing the Analyst as a bad therapist, and saying the Neo basically went through therapy in the latter half of the movie doesn't really address that the movie is still presenting therapy as a mean of control, and that the protagonist breaks free by flushing his meds, an obviously problematic messaging.

16 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, it did better getting free viewers, but not much better...it is a total bomb on all fronts...

It’s truly surprising just how little people care about this franchise. I thought a Matrix 4 could’ve been a straight billion dollar movie in non-covid times.

• Like 1

I mentioned in the other thread earlier that when they gave this the green light, Keanu was having a career renaissance between John Wick 3, Toy Story 4, and a fictionalized version of himself in Always Be My Maybe and were likely hoping to capitalize on that with his own seemingly-well-timed nostalgia revival (which are all the rage these days, see also: Sony and their attempts at reviving Ghostbusters). If not for that, I doubt they would've bothered trying to bring this series back. Definitely a reminder that misses like this and Independence Day 2 tend to be the rules when it comes to reviving defunct properties, while smashes like The Force Awakens and Jurassic World are the exceptions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mentioned in the other thread earlier that when they gave this the green light, Keanu was having a career renaissance between John Wick 3, Toy Story 4, and a fictionalized version of himself in Always Be My Maybe and were likely hoping to capitalize on that with his own seemingly-well-timed nostalgia revival (which are all the rage these days, see also: Sony and their attempts at reviving Ghostbusters). If not for that, I doubt they would've bothered trying to bring this series back. Definitely a reminder that misses like this and Independence Day 2 tend to be the rules when it comes to reviving defunct properties, while smashes like The Force Awakens and Jurassic World are the exceptions.

If the meta commentary from the movie itself is to be believed WB was doing to go ahead and make a sequel no matter what.