grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

This was not as riskier or action-less as some people were saying. It's a pretty good movie. Not groundbreaking like the first Matrix, and the action is not stunning like in Reloaded (Lana was probably not given the equivalent budget to work with, which would probably be over $250 million these days). It's fun and fast paced, and also interesting and emotional. It has some glaring flaws, but that's ok. It's a good sequel to the original trilogy, and I'm more than grateful for that.

• Like 2

Really really enjoyed it but also a film I’ll 100% need to rewatch and let sit with me over time (like 2-3 in that regard I guess ha). The action until the third act is really weak which was unfortunate. This has about as much action as the original but none of it is on par with 1-3 so it feels light in that department. Pleasantly surprised by Jonathan Groff who was quite fun but he still ain’t no Hugo Weaving. It acts so subversive at times that it’s not satisfying? But that in and of itself kinda is satisfying?

I love all of their films (minus Jupiter Ascending which is just okay) and this is probably my least favourite of the Matrix films but it’s so different that it feels weird to compare it directly.

• Like 1

Outside of Bugs(Jessica Henwick is great) and a few moments, I found this overall to be underwhelming...especially when it comes to the action and the choreography the first two movies are so well known for.  

Although there is one scene in particular that I absolutely loved and it was the one where the

Spoiler

Analyst is talking about facts, fiction, and feelings to Neo

, an obvious reference to today's era of disinformation, conspiracy theories, and right wing ecosystems.  I wish the movie was much more about that thematically instead of what we got.  It just feels like that would've been much more appropriate for a Matrix movie in 2021.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Audience scores for this on Rotten Tomatoes, IMDb and Metacritic aren’t looking too hot, which doesn’t surprise me, but that means that the “go woke, go broke” YouTube mouthbreathers will no doubt have some more material for the next week or so. 

Oh you already know the usual suspects are gonna be making 100s of videos ranting about this movie's politics, Lana Wachowski even made one of the main characters a siren2.gifblue-haired feministsiren2.gif!

Edited by Ozymandias

Ehh

Im gonna have to watch this again but my initial impression is just kind of meh 

The action is really weak compared to the previous three movies. I found the ending to be especially disappointing. The editing and camera work was not very good and some of the CGI was not very good looking and was pretty obviously CG. 

It felt like a bunch of really cool ideas that just never quite fully come together. 

8 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

Having slept on this, meh is the right word. Honestly, this film is forgettable. People will forget about this in a couple of weeks and move on. I wish it was interesting enough to be divisive like The Lat Jedi like one critic claimed.

yeah i wish it was at least bad in like a totally out there way like the wachowskis can do sometimes but it's just kinda boring no wacky ideas in it at all. i was wrestling with my eyelids at one point in the middle.

Edited by CoolioD1

This is the feature length equivalent of the joke in a bad sitcom reboot about how there are too many reboots, as if by mentioning the trend absolves them from the apparent crime of being a part of it.

We learn very little about the evolution of the returning world and characters. The film functions more like an open ended and entirely optional DLC prologue attached to something that concluded 20 years ago (speaking of DLC there’s a weird amount of insults lobbed at video gaming here). 
The new humans all look like dorks wearing Matrix cosplay. The action was done better in 2003. The movies looked better in 2003 (this thing looks more like a Marvel sequel).

NPH is fun. The filmmakers truly struggle to find any reason as to why Morpheus and another character are brought back, but they’re fun too. The film isn’t particularly interesting but it shuffles along well enough. Frankly I think it’s far more watchable then Revolutions - I just don’t respect it.

If you want to make a Matrix sequel then just make a Matrix sequel. Adding such a forceful and blatant faux-statement on sequels does not hide that this is one of the laziest and plain legacy sequels out there (at least Space Jam 2 tried to do something). The movie is so embarrassed to exist that they have a returning character yell about how there’s a lack of ‘originality’ and ‘too many sequels’, in the background of kung-fu fight scene for 5 minutes.

LOW LOW RENTAL. A pathetic film.

• Like 2