grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

6 hours ago, filmscholar said:

Look as someone who saw "Speed 2" on the Big Screen in 97.  I think "Speed 3" with Keanu and Sandra could work but part 2 was one of the worst sequels of all time, I think they might need to leave it alone. But since we are talking "Nostalgia" properties, "Speed 3" with the original 2 might work.  Keanu was vindicated for turning it down. 

The faces of Jason Patric and Sandra Bullock and shown among streaks of diagonal lines in blue and orange. The top reads

I still can't believe the writers thought a "Speed" movie on a Cruise boat would work, SMH.  The box office dropped by over 50% globally.  

Yeah, it's not that he himself was in a hot streak: Chain Reaction, Johnny Mnemonic... his post-Speed run was pretty awful. Kudos to him for not taking the easy road to another hit.

I think he did Devil's Advocate instead? Good decision if that's the case. Devil's Advocate is trashy fun, but great trashy fun.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Celedhring said:

Yeah, it's not that he himself was in a hot streak: Chain Reaction, Johnny Mnemonic... his post-Speed run was pretty awful. Kudos to him for not taking the easy road to another hit.

I think he did Devil's Advocate instead? Good decision if that's the case. Devil's Advocate is trashy fun, but great trashy fun.

Look even back then we all speculated that most of  us hated it off the simple fact Keanu wasn't it.  They broke a MAJOR SEQUEL RULE to not bring him back. Sure Sandra was there but Keanu was technically the Main Character of "Speed".  He's the one on the cover for a reason.  If he took it maybe the movie could of been better but Jason Patric didn't work as his replacement.  Also the Mid-90's Pre Matrix Keanu films still found life on Home Video and kept his star afloat before Matrix exploded.  

Speed movie poster.jpg

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, John Marston said:

Where Laurence Fishburne? And I thought Reeves and Moss fucking died 

Laurence has to be in it, he was the Man period.  Also Nobody is every really dead in a computer system.  They can be "Rebooted" right? or Reprogrammed?  My theory is both of them will have to be "Retrieved/Rescued" from inside of the Matrix.   New Team Lead by Morpheus to save his old friends from Machine City?  There's many places this could go folks.  

35 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Look even back then we all speculated that most of  us hated it off the simple fact Keanu wasn't it.  They broke a MAJOR SEQUEL RULE to not bring him back. Sure Sandra was there but Keanu was technically the Main Character of "Speed".  He's the one on the cover for a reason.  If he took it maybe the movie could of been better but Jason Patric didn't work as his replacement.  Also the Mid-90's Pre Matrix Keanu films still found life on Home Video and kept his star afloat before Matrix exploded.  

Speed movie poster.jpg

Lol, Speed 2: Cruise Control has a lot of problems... Keanu not being in it is not one of them.

Ehhhhh... not to be a broken record, but I honestly haven't loved most of these cash-grab, 'happening over a decade after the fact', nostalgia-dependent sequels. They're mostly forgettable at best, or never worth it at worst. I don't think this series went out on a high note either,  and just like how MiB isn't really a unique concept in 2019, a lot of what made the Matrix fun is now more mainstream. Literally the only thing selling it right now is that people love Keanu again.

But I suppose never say never. If they can somehow make it at least as visually interesting as Matrix 1/2 it could work.