grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Sherlock Holmes held its own against the first Avatar so Christmas would be a fine release date for this as potential counterprogramming (assuming Avatar 2 doesn't get pushed back again), especially since this will be R.

This has a much larger potential than Sherlock Holmes did though. They'd be leaving a lot of money on that table. And a sci-fi spectacle action movie really isn't counter-programming.

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This has a much larger potential than Sherlock Holmes did though. They'd be leaving a lot of money on that table. And a sci-fi spectacle action movie really isn't counter-programming.

Does it, though? A Bad Boys for Life type of gross (domestically, overseas will be much bigger assuming the global box office will have returned to normal by then) would be pretty good for this, especially considering the sequels rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Does it, though? A Bad Boys for Life type of gross (domestically, overseas will be much bigger assuming the global box office will have returned to normal by then) would be pretty good for this, especially considering the sequels rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. 

Barring Papa Feige working his magic, I feel like it could be a strong contender for #1 for the summer next year, assuming it'll play in that season of course. There was a lot of hype for its initial announcement, plus Keanu and nostalgia are as big as ever.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'd see the sequels affecting this as much as the prequels affected TFA or Jurassic Park sequels affected Jurassic World. I think there's enough nostalgia for the franchise now especially because of Keanu Reeves gaining popularity again from the John Wick films.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think there's enough nostalgia for the franchise now especially because of Keanu Reeves gaining popularity again from the John Wick films.

And his Fortnite appearance 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'd see the sequels affecting this as much as the prequels affected TFA or Jurassic Park sequels affected Jurassic World. I think there's enough nostalgia for the franchise now especially because of Keanu Reeves gaining popularity again from the John Wick films.

Nostalgia and Keanu should provide a huge opening but the legs on this could go every which way given that a Wachowski is still at the wheel and they've never been interested in playing it safe. A lot of people here seem to just take it as a given that the audiences are gonna love this, which I find weird. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Nostalgia and Keanu should provide a huge opening but the legs on this could go every which way given that a Wachowski is still at the wheel and they've never been interested in playing it safe. A lot of people here seem to just take it as a given that the audiences are gonna love this, which I find weird. 

At this point, I think if there's a lot of action and the movie secures a China release date, it should be able to become the 2nd highest grossing R-rated movie (650 mil WW-China and 150 mil China is possible even with weak legs).

Edited by lorddemaxus