grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

4 hours ago, JWR said:

I think (want to believe that) we're getting that first look in time for The Suicide Squad. 

100% will get a trailer with Suicide Squad. Would be shocked if we don't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

You'd think Warners wouldn't want these test screenings publicized so much so that people don't descend on that theatre on Thursday night and attempt to get in...  But they must be bullish about the film!  

Last time - and they're doing the same thing on Thursday night - they had two test screenings on the same day, one for "A brand new Matrix film" and one for "Untitled Action Movie," so they can compare reactions of people/fans who know what it is going in and those who don't.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

Last time - and they're doing the same thing on Thursday night - they had two test screenings on the same day, one for "A brand new Matrix film" and one for "Untitled Action Movie," so they can compare reactions of people/fans who know what it is going in and those who don't.

That's really interesting. Sometimes I wonder what studios are after with experiments like that. Given what I know about Resurrections (a few snippets, mostly), there's probably only so much you can do editorially short of adding a clumsy narration or something similarly awkward. Much of what makes the film potentially unwelcoming to newcomers seems like it would be more or less baked in at this point.

Maybe it's to develop a marketing approach for people unfamiliar with the IP? I suppose enough time has passed that a not-so-insignificant portion of the audience will have only experienced The Matrix through memes.

Edited by daftcat
  • Like 1

Just now, ViewerAnon said:

They canceled the test screenings Thursday, which is why I don’t generally announce screenings before they happen!

Who could have predicted this turn of events?

On 7/25/2021 at 1:11 PM, grim22 said:

They don't want them publicized because that's not the point of test screenings. Won't be surprised if the test screening is cancelled now thanks to this guy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Macleod said:

My bet is either this or Spidey is moving to next Spring...if not both.  

The next Doctor Strange movie is coming out in Spring. I assume they’ll want Spidey released before that.  I don’t see much point in a delay at this point. They’ve made it this far, so they might as well stick to their guns. 

Edited by WittyUsername

On 7/26/2021 at 7:50 AM, JWR said:

It already sounds like a difficult film to market and promote based on the direction they're going in.

And it always hard to recapture the old magic.

Of course I admit, the first Matrix film is the only one I really enjoyed. Did not care for either of the sequels.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 12:57 PM, grim22 said:

Who could have predicted this turn of events?

Cancelling the test screening out of fear the Matrix fanboys will find a way ,now that the word is out, to pack them giving them a false read.

In a test screening, you do NOT want a bunch of fans if it is a frachise film. You want a  audience that is representive of the GA.That is statistical sampling 1.0.

Now a "Preview Screening" is something totally different. That is to get buzz started, and you want a lot of fans in the audience. But just the opposite for a actual test screening.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

No trailer w/ SS has to mean this is getting bumped back. It is barely 4 months away and we don't have a single piece of advertising. 

For now it doesn't mean anything. Window between first trailer/promo and release date is a lot shorter now.

13 minutes ago, excel1 said:

No trailer w/ SS has to mean this is getting bumped back. It is barely 4 months away and we don't have a single piece of advertising. 

It means anything WB is releasing trailers 2-3 months max before the actual movie.

Sometimes even worse, they release the trailer for Cry Macho 40 days before the release date.