grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

13 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Edge of Tomorrow "flopped"?  It made nearly $400m over 7 years ago and is in no way a flop, especially as an original property.  

Oblivion made nearly $300m and was over 8 years ago and an original property.  

As you point out, Cruise is wildly successful with his franchise property Mission: Impossible with nearly $2.2b in box office in the last decade (and about to be over $3b in less than a year).  

This doesn't even mention the $400m he made on The Mummy.  

In what world is Tom Cruise still not a draw and in what world are these movies "flops"? 

Fair enough I didn't realise they had sizable OS grosses to save them. I'd still call every film you mentioned a financial disappointment though (except MI) and I don't think TG2 will be the big hit some are expecting.

But anyways, no more derailing, whens this Matrix trailer coming?

1 minute ago, Chicago said:

Fair enough I didn't realise they had sizable OS grosses to save them. I'd still call every film you mentioned a financial disappointment though (except MI) and I don't think TG2 will be the big hit some are expecting.

But anyways, no more derailing, whens this Matrix trailer coming?

They would be smart putting it in front of Shang Chi, like Marvel itself did for Eternals.

But maybe too soon? It would be 3 and half months before release and WB keeps releasing trailers very close to release date. Maybe because this one is expensive they will start the campaign sooner, let's see. I would bet in late september maximum, but hopping for early september.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They would be smart putting it in front of Shang Chi, like Marvel itself did for Eternals.

But maybe too soon? It would be 3 and half months before release and WB keeps releasing trailers very close to release date. Maybe because this one is expensive they will start the campaign sooner, let's see. I would bet in late september maximum, but hopping for early september.

3 months prior isn't too bad imo. If my memory serves me correct they left it that late with Avatar

I believe this has a great release date, it baffles me how studios don't take advantage of the Christmas holidays when it comes to releasing movies. I was today years old when I discovered Aquaman is the highest grossing DC movie, also the only DC movie I remember being released during the holidays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

Of course it will. Tom Cruise is no longer a draw and its director hasn't the best of track records. This was flopping before the pandemic 

I'm pretty sure Only The Brave was very well received, Oblivion was well received and Tron: Legacy has its fans, so it's not the worst track record.

11 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

The new deal economy has also created headaches for studios like Warner Bros., whose decision to release its entire 2021 film slate on HBO Max and in theaters concurrently caused a talent revolt. Denzel Washington and Will Smith both earned $40 million for their respective WB titles “The Little Things” and “King Richard,” insiders tell Variety, to account for diminishing box office in light of streaming premieres. Keanu Reeves will be entitled to back-end payment on top of the $12 million to $14 million he earned for the upcoming “Matrix 4.” 

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/biggest-movie-star-salaries-daniel-craig-dwayne-johnson-1235043305/

Keanu/his reps could have easily asked for around twice that salary for another MATRIX in normal production circumstances (can't remember whether this shot pre-or-inside the pandemic), based on his overall status and even moreso his recent John Wick success.  Sounds like it is indeed true that he is a humble guy.  

11 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

In Matrix case, Keanu received 12-14M for the movie itself + backdends because of HBO Max. This extends for the entire crew, so i think reversing they decision and taking the movie of day and date is a big headache and i'm always unsure if it's worthy. The movie is Rated R, the pandemic won't be gone by December, they could easily take the HBO Max release, spend more money with it and get a bad result at box office anyway, so it's very complicated even if this is the only movie they still have time to change it.

Just to clarify the language here (unless it's just lost in translation/non-native English?) -- It sounds like Keanu's BASE Salary was $12-14 mil., and he will get more backend compensation ON TOP of that.   I'm guessing another $10 mil. plus.

25 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Keanu/his reps could have easily asked for around twice that salary for another MATRIX in normal production circumstances (can't remember whether this shot pre-or-inside the pandemic), based on his overall status and even moreso his recent John Wick success.  Sounds like it is indeed true that he is a humble guy.  

Just to clarify the language here (unless it's just lost in translation/non-native English?) -- It sounds like Keanu's BASE Salary was $12-14 mil., and he will get more backend compensation ON TOP of that.   I'm guessing another $10 mil. plus.

Exactly, 12-14M for the movie itself + compensation which we don't know the number. Probably will be big tho.

5 hours ago, Macleod said:

Sounds like it is indeed true that he is a humble guy.  

He made so much on the first trilogy that apparently he started to give it a lot of it away to the crew and others participant, the rumors around goes has high has a quarter of a billion that he would have made on them and in the conversation for the highest payday ever on an actor, with the Willis-Cruise-Arnold-RDJ-Hanks forest gump previous giant fall of money.

And the rumors of how much he decided to share goes from the 40m to 70m:

Each member of these teams received $1 million dollars per person, instantly making them all millionaires. He also gave the entire stunt team on the "Matrix" sequels Harley Davidson motorcycles.

Him involved change everything for that project and he could have had the ego move to ask for 20M+15%, just to stay on that list.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

I spoke to someone the other day who did special effects work on this. I didn't ask about spoilers because it seemed rude, but they said 'the film has some very out-there ideas, and I don't think I understood a lot of it.'

Take that as you will.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Chicago said:

3 months prior isn't too bad imo. If my memory serves me correct they left it that late with Avatar

I believe this has a great release date, it baffles me how studios don't take advantage of the Christmas holidays when it comes to releasing movies. I was today years old when I discovered Aquaman is the highest grossing DC movie, also the only DC movie I remember being released during the holidays.

I didn’t know that either. Is it the highest grossing WB movie overall too?

27 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Deathly Hallows 2 did 1.34b

Nice time to remind people that Warner Bros. at one time considered one or more of the Harry Potters "unprofitable."  😂

https://deadline.com/2010/07/studio-shame-even-harry-potter-pic-loses-money-because-of-warner-bros-phony-baloney-accounting-51886/

46 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Nice time to remind people that Warner Bros. at one time considered one or more of the Harry Potters "unprofitable."  😂

https://deadline.com/2010/07/studio-shame-even-harry-potter-pic-loses-money-because-of-warner-bros-phony-baloney-accounting-51886/

David Prowse never received residuals for the Star Wars OT because the movies weren't profitable according to Hollywood accounting.

• Like 1