grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

19 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

The Matrix franchise is "hardcore sci-fi" ? Its ground breaking action and visual effects and was a pop culture phenomenon and still is very influential and still has great interest. Without day and date and releasing at the right time it would do very well. 

The franchise as whole, no, but based on speculation, this particular entry could get complicated, and be divisive. I still think day-and-date is a mistake though.

Trailer looks cool, please hollywood make more movies in San Francisco/Bay area. It would be a nice change of scenery.

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

However this movie turns out, I can only hope it doesn’t become the start of a new trilogy or expanded universe. It should be a one-off. 

You might have just jinxed it, this is WB we're talking about. Unless they explicitly say this is just a one time comeback to this world then I doubt plans for an expanded universe/series are completely off the table, depending on how well this movie does of course.

Edited by clockwork

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

"After all these years, going back to where it started.  Back to The Matrix?"

===

On the one hand, I am legit surprised WB would throw that Wham Line into a trailer.  Coz it is going to cause a TON of speculation (and since the movie script has allegedly leaked, informed speculation will inevitably seep into discussions - SO PLEASE KEEP THAT OUT OF HERE, EVEN OBLIQUELY).

No matter what it means, one might think that WB would want this as a surprise.  On the other hand, by putting this out there this should prime folks to expect... Weirdness.  Even for a Matrix film.

One thing is for sure.  This isn't a retread of the first film.  Similar beats, perhaps.  But I expect a MASSIVE deconstruction of the Matrix Trilogy (and everything it spawned in Hollywood and real life) incoming.  And that might be... Well I can see why some folks are saying this might be a wee bit contorversial when it comes out.

Uh...I don't really see what extra information that line shows (haven't read any leaks). Doesn't the trailer make clear that he went back to the Matrix at some point? I mean he's in the Matrix (presumably) throughout most of the trailer. 

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

What this movie would have shown, if not for the hybrid release, as @SchumacherFTW said, is that people are willing to forgive terrible sequels no one liked if the first movie is just that damn good. Jurassic World showed us that for PG-13, this could for R.

They're looking for the true sequel they never received. They're looking to relive the past. 

17 minutes ago, Menor said:

Uh...I don't really see what extra information that line shows (haven't read any leaks).

The direction my thoughts are leading is waaaaaay too spec-y, I think to comment on even in a spoiler box.  Do think it is more complicated than it seems at first blush.

Consider me trying to pull back a bit from that initial reaction and just ignore it for now. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

They absolutely should give this a week or two head start overseas initially. 

I don’t think WB can move it back so it doesn’t go on HBO Max (and you can bet the house they wish they could), but they should definitely release it early overseas before anybody can download it for free. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

What this movie would have shown, if not for the hybrid release, as @SchumacherFTW said, is that people are willing to forgive terrible sequels no one liked if the first movie is just that damn good. Jurassic World showed us that for PG-13, this could for R.

I'm usually right about these things for sure

6 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Though Matrix Reloaded was one of my worst theater experience. A group of annoying people behind me were giving dumb and loud commentary during every other scene (and the movie was disappointing too).

On my second watch of Reloaded there was barely anyone in the cinema and the people a couple of seats down from me talked solidly for the first 20 minutes, I'm pretty sure one was catching the other up on the first movie. It was obviously annoying af so I got mad and asked if they were going to talk throughout the entire showing, and it shut them up thankfully.

Anyway, this didn't give much away but I like that, and it's hit me right in my older millennial nostalgic feels. Makes me want to install that Matrix code screensaver again lol (for real, I really might).

Will definitely be avoiding as much talk/spec as I can and I'll be cracking open my The Matrix/Reloaded 4Ks and regular Revolutions blu-ray closer to this coming out. Definitely a pity it's getting caught up in the HBO Max thing, would've been great to see how this did on a purely theatrical release. :( 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

They absolutely should give this a week or two head start overseas initially. 

I don’t think WB can move it back so it doesn’t go on HBO Max (and you can bet the house they wish they could), but they should definitely release it early overseas before anybody can download it for free. 

There's no reason other than ego that they can't just forgo HBO Max for some of these movies. Undo their terrible decision. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I read spoilers and honestly don't like this twist in the middle of the movie, it makes no sense and already doesn't work even without watching the film.

pm plz thx ftw