grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

I think it sounds cool. These things are only divisive because some fans want artistic integrity aka a new direction, (THE LAST JEDI) other fans just want to relive the past (DA FORCE AWAKENS).

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Without having read about any of the spoilers for this movie, I’ve seen some speculation that it’s supposed to serve as a meta commentary on reboots and franchise revivals, and now that I’ve heard that, I sincerely hope that’s the case. 

Yeah I can imagine this film starting off similar to the first one lulling the audience to expect the same plot beats only to veer off into something completely different or subversive. Totally be on board for that. 

My only question if this is supposed to be a jumping off point for a new series of films or more of a one off film. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

46 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah I can imagine this film starting off similar to the first one lulling the audience to expect the same plot beats only to veer off into something completely different or subversive. Totally be on board for that. 

My only question if this is supposed to be a jumping off point for a new series of films or more of a one off film. 

From the vague stuff I’ve heard, there’s room to continue it, but the story is wrapped up and could easily function as a one off without leaving us hanging. 

It'll be interesting to see how this does because it could be a good indicator on how Indiana Jones 5 does, both this and the new Jones movie are aiming to be fresh installments within decade long dormant franchises where the previous installment(s) was not that well received.

I'm betting this movie will resonate better than Indianna Jones 5. I just think Keanu is just more popular than Harrison Ford is with the younger crowd (but Ford is by far the better actor) and also considering how that 2018 Tomb Raider movie did and how wonky that Tom Holland/Matt Whalburg Uncharted has been looking I'm not sure todays audience are all that interested in the old school adventure type maguffin/elic hunt stories, not unless it's got an extra hook such as magic or superpowers or has an attractive ensemble cast attached to it.

Edited by clockwork

11 hours ago, excel1 said:

I think it sounds cool. These things are only divisive because some fans want artistic integrity aka a new direction, (THE LAST JEDI) other fans just want to relive the past (DA FORCE AWAKENS).

Wasn't a big fan of either. I prefer the option of fresh new stories rather than self-referential commentary or derivative plots.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 2:43 PM, poweranimals said:

Wow. The trailer looks amazing. I'm kinda torn though. I loved the first movie and mostly remember everything that happened but I barely remember what happened in the other two movies and tbh I'm not thrilled with the idea of rewatching them before this comes out.

What other 2 movies?

Its wild a new Matrix movie is coming in today's world.  The first movie came out during the tail end of the hyper corporate computer .com boom era where things were still more or less functional.  A lot of people still had money and 401ks even if they didn't like their jobs.   Now, fast forward 21 years later, everyone is broke as shit living in a late stage neo-liberal Zion-like hellscape awash in plague largely controlled by space traveling oligarchs while willingly posting on the Matrix. 

In one of many ways the first movie can be read or constructed, The Matrix was a culmination of pre-9/11 engagement with its themes of anomie, frustration, and self actualization.  But if you look over these past 20 tumultuous years, you can see how that selfsame ideology of individualism and self expression is actually a good fit for late stage capitalist consumerism and provides little defense against the evils and barbarism of the 21st century.  For example, you can see how easily the choice and imagery of the famous "The Red Pill" has been adopted by deranged fascist chuds and internet reactionaries.  Its not enough to simply say they are misreading the film or acting in bad faith... they have correctly identified the evils of hyper-capitalist exploitation; its just that their solution, however, inserted into the ideological gap of The Matrix, is to return to the old systems of authoritarianism and master-slave domination with themselves as the masters.

Ideally then, the goal of The Matrix 4 is to fill in(or at least try to) the gap left by the first movie in that Neo is a failed jesus messiah whose agenda of "raising awareness/consciousness" has been completely discredited.  Is there a third choice between the false binary of the the red pill and the blue pill?

Unfortunately, as much as I want to be excited for a new Matrix movie, I don't really have expectations for this at all.  I think this movie is serving as a career hail marry for the Wachowskis more than anything else given that they have gone on to make some the shittiest flops I've ever seen post-Matrix sequels.  Also, the look of the movie feels off and having the same name as Alien: Resurrection may end up appropriate.

• Like 2

Visuals look great in real/machine word, but I really don't like how the movie looks in the matrix, even considering Revolutions ending, there's something very wrong with the image, it just doesn't look cinematic like previous films, it looks like the most generic and soulless CGI cartoons without any personality and with the same studio filter (hello Skycrapper and Jungle Cruise, Jon Watts' Spider Man movies and every generic studio blockbuster we have these days). Like wtf is this??
le8m5eS.png

R2JOvxX.png

q0uc1R3.png

Just compare it to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMbexEPAOQI

4 hours ago, Firepower said:

Visuals look great in real/machine word, but I really don't like how the movie looks in the matrix, even considering Revolutions ending, there's something very wrong with the image, it just doesn't look cinematic like previous films, it looks like the most generic and soulless CGI cartoons without any personality and with the same studio filter (hello Skycrapper and Jungle Cruise, Jon Watts' Spider Man movies and every generic studio blockbuster we have these days). Like wtf is this??
le8m5eS.png

R2JOvxX.png

q0uc1R3.png

Just compare it to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMbexEPAOQI

Did Lana film on digital or film?

Rewatched the first two. The first one held up pretty well to how I remembered it. I liked it quite a bit, the first half especially was really energetic and propulsive, but thought the ending fight scenes were a bit dull, and the Neo/Trinity romance was awful. But overall it was neat, moved at a nice pace, some very nice action scenes and a great sense of mystery and discovery. The opening scene, Neo's training, and the very end when Neo unlocks his powers were highlights. 

Reloaded though was a lot worse than I remembered (I had thought of it as a pretty good sequel). The movie was just incredibly bloated and moved at a glacial pace, with the pseudo-deep philosophy being really awkwardly inserted. The Zion subplots felt like a chore to watch, especially the pointless love triangle between Morpheus/Niobe/Lock. Didn't really like the Smith army either and the Merovingian was a very meh villain. There was a lot of emphasis on the Neo/Trinity romance again and I just can't really care too much about it. Neo also seemed nerfed from the end of the first, especially when he struggled against the Merovingian's goons. The ending was also very abrupt, now these kinds of cliffhanger part 2 endings were common in the early 2000s but I felt LOTR and POTC executed it much better. Now as to what I did like, the freeway scene was a delightful action scene, built up really well and had a ton of energy. I also really enjoyed the Architect's conversation with Neo, it added a nice twist to the story. Now I might rewatch Revolutions for completeness' sake though I don't expect too much from that (I remember it being a lot worse than Reloaded). 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

Revolutions is so boring, it's basically just endless machine destruction in the real world, with one good fight between Neo and Smith in the end.

The first Matrix film was groundbreaking but still fit the mold of a typical action film, then the franchise became very self indulgent with the sequels. There were some plot points that felt jarring and I only years later found out that was because they were tied to the storyline of a videogame. But I admire the Wachowskis' ambition at the time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Revolutions is so boring, it's basically just endless machine destruction in the real world, with one good fight between Neo and Smith in the end.

The first Matrix film was groundbreaking but still fit the mold of a typical action film, then the franchise became very self indulgent with the sequels. There were some plot points that felt jarring and I only years later found out that was because they were tied to the storyline of a videogame. But I admire the Wachowskis' ambition at the time.

Honestly I wish almost all of the Zion subplots in the sequels had been removed. What happened inside the Matrix was always a lot more interesting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Honestly I wish almost all of the Zion subplots in the sequels had been removed. What happened inside the Matrix was always a lot more interesting. 

The issue with Zion is that it looks so bad we are never given a reason to want to see it survive. Really needed a better designed Zion to make us root for them. Cypher is proven right basically.

• Like 3