grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

43 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The issue with Zion is that it looks so bad we are never given a reason to want to see it survive. Really needed a better designed Zion to make us root for them. Cypher is proven right basically.

Agreed. Would you say the new film improves in this area?

51 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The issue with Zion is that it looks so bad we are never given a reason to want to see it survive. Really needed a better designed Zion to make us root for them. Cypher is proven right basically.

Yeah, just not a very interesting location, just a generic dystopian city full of generic characters. 

35 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Wonder if they'll rerelease the older films in theaters

I would be sooooo down with a re-release of the original. I was only 8 during its theatrical run, so I was far too young to go see it. (The sequels would end up being the first two R-rated movies I saw in a theater.) That said, I don't think Warner Bros would go through with it.

I also rewatched the sequels recently. My main takeaway was that the long talky 'boring' parts were actually a lot more interesting than the action. I think this is because the first movie told story through its action scenes. Neo gets better and better as it goes along and we learn about him and the Matrix.

There is no similar growth or enlightenment in the sequels' action. Not with the multiple Smiths fight, not with the freeway chase, not with the Zion assault. Even the final Smith fight feels a bit pointless given Neo's eventual goal to 'surrender' anyway. 

So those parts were boring. But between that there are great ideas: rogue programs, Matrix reboots, machine exiles, Smith as an out of control virus, etc. It's not amazing but it's there. I'm sure if someone came up with the whole idea now it'd be an expensive tv show instead.

On 9/17/2021 at 5:24 PM, Napoleon said:

Revolutions is so boring, it's basically just endless machine destruction in the real world, with one good fight between Neo and Smith in the end.

The first Matrix film was groundbreaking but still fit the mold of a typical action film, then the franchise became very self indulgent with the sequels. There were some plot points that felt jarring and I only years later found out that was because they were tied to the storyline of a videogame. But I admire the Wachowskis' ambition at the time.

GOd, we actually agree about something; The first Matrix was great, both the sequels were very dissapointing, at a minimum.

Revolution in particular  pretty much stunk. It was just another Post Apoc distopian thriller...and not a very good one at that.

Hopefully this will be the sequel we wanted and never got.

One worry though: The Warchowski's need to be creative with the bullet time stuff. It was brand new and revolutionary when the first film came out, but now everybody and their aunt uses it in action sequences. They need to come up with a new twist on it.

• Like 1

The resurrection may be delayed for a considerable time if the IATSE strike happens and shuts down Post Prodcution in Hollywood,since Matrix is still deep in post.

In fact, the whole December release schudule will be toast if the strike happensa goes on for more then a few days. And that seems likely at this moment with a Monday Deadline.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

The industry will not allow 99% of their post productions on hold, they can´t delay everything again, it will be solved.

Sorry, but everything in the last 24 hours is making  a strike look more and more likely.

And you know, the Studios have done some pretty stupid things in the past.

Reminds me of back in 2020 wehn people said no way Covid would shut down theaters....

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Sorry, but everything in the last 24 hours is making  a strike look more and more likely.

And you know, the Studios have done some pretty stupid things in the past.

Reminds me of back in 2020 wehn people said no way Covid would shut down theaters....

To me this looks like a media game more than everything, it´s a negotiation afterall... 

The COVID thing was dumb but ok, it´s unusual. This time they can actually solve it before even if in the last minute, and they all know if happens they need to delay everything in one of the best months of the year, is losing money in a time where they lost enough already.

Even if studios decide to see how far it´ll go, i doubt they will wait more than a day of strike to agreed and go back to post productions. Imo it´s absurd that they will see everything on hold for weeks and do nothing quick, i think it will be worrying if by sunday night there wasn´t news of agreement. 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1